• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.30-21

biased indian

International Coach
one doubt aren't we ranking them based on number of people who voted or is it based on mean of their ranking they got ??

archie mac

International Coach
Bowlers to fill out most of the top 20 IMO.

Loving reading this at 9am with my morning coffee.

One thing I have always wondered about Chappell is why did he miss the famous 1981 Ashes tour? Was he injured, or did he, like Sean wrote, decide to skip that tour? Was he mentally exhausted after the underarm incident?

And like the fact that Hutton is ahead of Gavaskar, who scored many of his runs in bore draws.
I have read a bio on him but I can't remember the exact reason. I think he had just started an Insurance business and wanted to concentrate on that, and as you said he also thought he was in need of a break:)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So far Gavaskar (24) Chappell (23) Laker (21) Akram (20) Ponting (19) Headley (18) are the only players who have made the list.

I can't really see anyone in my top 17 not being selected.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Getting some real quality here and it makes me wish I'd put a bit more thought into my list, kicking myself at some of the names I left out. Great stuff Sean. Can't wait for the next installments,
sooooooo AWTA.. :) Great stuff, Sean.. Gotta be on the main page, I feel..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
cant believe kallis is ranked above oreilly and gavaskar!

In any poll of this type there's always a slight inate bias towards current players. If you did a music poll of this type the current XFactor (a bad UK reality show) winner would rank above Elvis Presley and The Beatles.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In any poll of this type there's always a slight inate bias towards current players. If you did a music poll of this type the current XFactor (a bad UK reality show) winner would rank above Elvis Presley and The Beatles.
:laugh:

Get out. It's not as if Mohammad Sami ranked above O'Reilly and Gavaskar. And I'm pretty sure if you look at any poll of the like in the music world, The Beatles are still up there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Had Waugh (19), Ponting (20), O'Reilly (21), and Gavaskar (22).

Not sure about rating Steve and Ricky above Tiger in retrospect, but my whole list would likely be reshuffled if I did it today, and then again if I did it the day after.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not that we're rating modern players more highly than you do LT, it's just that we rate Kallis more highly than you do.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hutton (12)
Ponting (17)
Trumper (21)
GSC (25)

So I've voted for seven, and there's 20 left...would think that means I've missed three or four of the big shots.

Probably should have had Headley for Chappell, with hindsight. Not that it matters much.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
one doubt aren't we ranking them based on number of people who voted or is it based on mean of their ranking they got ??
I think on the aggregate of their ratings, with 1st giving 25 points, 2nd 24 and so on. Sean will inform us if I'm oversimplifying his maths though.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I had:

Wasim 11
Trumper 18
G Pollock 20
Ponting 21
O'Reilly 26
Gavaskar 36
Headley 38
G Chappell 50

Missed Hutton, and not happy about some of these placings but hey

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Had Chappell at 10, Ponting at 16 and Wasim at 20. Can't believe how underrated Chappell is; just look what he did to possibly the greatest bowling attack of all time! Chappell and Ponting, both victims to a lot of exaggeration for their contemporaries.

Last edited: