• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allan Border - How Good Was He?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The mother of a friend of mine said the only person she would cheat on her husband with was Border and that he made her weak at the knees. I didnt question it as I asumed it was a particularly Australian thing that I didnt understand. I also think that this is the thing about Border, he is particularly Australian and that doesnt always translate. Same with Steve Waugh to a certain extent.

When I remember to think about him I regard Border very highly, its just he doesnt spring to mind very often.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I have it on good authority that he was the 38th greatest cricketer of all time. :ph34r:

AB is a massive personal hero of mine - I grew up in the 1980s so I know just how much he meant to Australian cricket. And his record, particularly when you look at the attacks he faced over a long, long career, puts him up there with the very best.

Legend. Legend. Dead set legend.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Bowled some awesome left-arm tweakers when the pitch offered something.

Terrific cricketer, my early days of watching cricket was with Allan Border leading a group of highly promising cricketers (Tayler, Warne, McGrath). Tough as nails, I remember an ODI at the MCG in which he was hit in the face by Ambrose whilst batting. He simply picked up the ball, and tossed it back to Ambrose without hardly a flinch.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Shiv Chanderpaul in post Lara Windies is probably the best recent equivalent, except a relatively better batsman AND captain.

Man was a rock, and a champ.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Border's average was really only dragged down by his performances towards the end of his career as well and only really against the high quality WIndies and SAffie attacks.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Border was quite a phenomenon to average 50 in test cricket in the era he played

bagapath

International Captain
without a man of integrity like border at the very top, more greedy cricketers would have fallen for the matchfixers. when i was a kid i loved AB for his grit, determination and fighting spirit. as i grew older i have come to love his integrity, which i had taken for granted as a youngster, a lot more.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant article Burgey. You really get a sense of Border in it. Just wonderful, really.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know he missed the recent CA awards night cause of illness. He does seem very different but might just be the recovery from whatever illness he had

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
In March 1979 AB was playing in just his 5th Test (against Pakistan at the WACA). My wife and I were dining at an inner city hotel when we spotted a familiar figure at a table all on his own. "Where were his team mates?" we thought. I was debating if I should acknowledge him when another familiar figure asked if he might join AB. It was commentator Alan McGilvray. A legend of the future joined by a legend in his own right.
I might add that AB had a particularly good game - top scoring with 85 in the first dig and unbeaten on 66 in the second as we won by 7 wickets. There were two unbeaten centuries made by Pakistan players. In the first dig Javed Miandad was 129* and in the second Asif Iqbal 134*.
The game was not without controversy. Andrew Hilditch dismissed "handled ball" (see clip)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Sarfraz Nawaz may well have been appealing as a retaliation for Alan Hurst earlier running out (a la 'Mankad) Sikander Bakht.