• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI the day you were born

JBMAC

State Captain
Cheers mate. Fell into the trap of under-rating Garth, like so many have in the past I think.

Was a real toss-up between Underwood and Bedi for the spinning role, likewise Chappell and Kanhai at 3.

Out of interest, I'd like to hear form JBMAC and SJS as to their thoughts on Kanhai as a player, not just in relation to this discussion vs Chappelli, but in general.
First saw Kanhai in the tied test....unorthodox IMPO..had a habit of playing a hook shot from sort of underneath it..don't know how he did it...He started his test career if I recall correctly as Keeper/Opening bat..that would have been in England in the late fifties. He had that typical West Indies cavalier approach to the game and as well as keepin and batting could roll his arm over as well..brilliant in the field and played a couple of stints here in Sheffield Shield cricket. He played some 70 odd tests with an average just under 50..Captained the WI on one tour i think? Memory is not so good these days..I think he played on until the 70s

JBMAC

State Captain
PS to Above

Better # 3 than Chappell He had the ability to hit the ball where the fielder wasn't

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
WORLD ODI XI

1st July 1995

1. S.R. Tendulkar
2. M.E. Waugh
3. B.C. Lara
4. M. Azharrudin
5. G.A. Hick
6. Inzamam Ul-haq *
7. A. J. Stewart +
8. W. Akram
9. P.R. Reiffel
10. S.K. Warne
11. C.A. Walsh

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
First saw Kanhai in the tied test....unorthodox IMPO..had a habit of playing a hook shot from sort of underneath it..don't know how he did it...He started his test career if I recall correctly as Keeper/Opening bat..that would have been in England in the late fifties. He had that typical West Indies cavalier approach to the game and as well as keepin and batting could roll his arm over as well..brilliant in the field and played a couple of stints here in Sheffield Shield cricket. He played some 70 odd tests with an average just under 50..Captained the WI on one tour i think? Memory is not so good these days..I think he played on until the 70s
Kanhai captained WI during their 2-0 win in England in 1973. Also played in the 1975 WC, although Lloyd was captain by then.

steve132

U19 Debutant
Kanhai was one of my boyhood cricketing heroes. He was a dazzling stroke player, with every stroke in the book and several which were not. All things considered, he was the most exciting batsman I have ever seen with the sole exception of Viv Richards.

And yet, strangely enough, he is not today remembered as one of the greatest batsmen - probably because his career statistics, while solid, are not exceptional. Somewhat off-topic, but I've noticed that cricketers' current reputations can be very different from their contemporaries' assessments. The classic example would be Ken Barrington, who is now rated very highly because he averaged 58 in Tests. NONE of Barrington's contemporaries - most of who are still alive - considered him a better batsman than his Surrey and England colleague Peter May, yet Barrington rather than May was selected by Cricinfo's jury for the all-time England XI. I also note that certain other players - Ray Lindwall, for example - don't seem to be ranked as highly as they were in the past. Kanhai seems to be part of this group.

JBH001

International Regular
Yes, I have noted the same especially with Kanhai who always makes my all time WI sides. Although, I think Lindwall does tend to get his props - surely the third best quick ever produced by Australia. To be honest I think it based on the, at times, rather repetitive and myopic view of cricket that can sometimes take over the board. So all three players tend to be devalued - the fact that, from recollection, Kanhai and Lindwall (and May too I think) had somewhat steep declines may also play into it. But fundamentally I think it comes down to the belief that if your batting average is less than 50 (or as a bowler if you take less than 4 wpm) you fail the minimum entry standard.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Yes, I have noted the same especially with Kanhai who always makes my all time WI sides. Although, I think Lindwall does tend to get his props - surely the third best quick ever produced by Australia. To be honest I think it based on the, at times, rather repetitive and myopic view of cricket that can sometimes take over the board. So all three players tend to be devalued - the fact that, from recollection, Kanhai and Lindwall (and May too I think) had somewhat steep declines may also play into it. But fundamentally I think it comes down to the belief that if your batting average is less than 50 (or as a bowler if you take less than 4 wpm) you fail the minimum entry standard.
Exactly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
17th January 1995

Batsmen:
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Jimmy Adams
3. Brian Lara
4. Mike Atherton
5. Salim Malik
5. David Boon
7. Michael Slater
8. Alec Stewart
9. Richie Richardson
10. Mark Waugh

Bowlers:
1. Shane Warne
2. Waqar Younis
3. Curtley Ambrose
4. Wasim Akram
5. Anil Kumble
6. Ian Bishop
7.Venkatapathy Raju
8. Craig McDermott
9. Courtney Walsh
10. Angus Fraser

This gives you a team of:
1. Michael Slater
2. Mike Atherton
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Jimmy Adams
6. Salim Malik
7. Alec Stewart
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Waqar Younis.

Surprised that Slater, Atherton and Malik were up there batting wise, and I'd thought that Craig McDermott's body had all but fallen apart by this stage.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd thought that Craig McDermott's body had all but fallen apart by this stage.
Awesome players take a little while to fall down the rankings when they decline as long as they don't retire, especially bowlers. For example, Ntini and Clark are still in the top six right now.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
November 16th 1992.

Alec Stewart+
Richie Richardson
Graham Gooch
Robin Smith
Martin Crowe
Salim Malik
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Craig McDermott
Curtley Ambrose

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seemed a good thread to post the world XI on the last day of the decade:

Gambhir
Sehwag
Sangakarra
Jayawardena
Clarke
Yousuf
Dhoni
Johnson
Swann
Steyn
Asif

If you want five bowlers then your best bet is picking one of the other top all-rounders which means either Vettori if you want a spinner, or Broad if you want a seamer. Unless you're happy to go with Johnson at seven, in which case you can pick Murali as a spinner, or it winds up Broad anyway if you want a seamer. But tbh with Swann in the team, two bowlers is probably enough.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Seemed a good thread to post the world XI on the last day of the decade:

Gambhir
Sehwag
Sangakarra
Jayawardena
Clarke
Yousuf
Dhoni
Johnson
Swann
Asif
Steyn

If you want five bowlers then your best bet is picking one of the other top all-rounders which means either Vettori if you want a spinner, or Broad if you want a seamer. Unless you're happy to go with Johnson at seven, in which case you can pick Murali as a spinner, or it winds up Broad anyway if you want a seamer. But tbh with Swann in the team, two bowlers is probably enough.
Why not just pick Kallis?