Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting hypothetical rule question...

U19 Vice-Captain

Interesting hypothetical rule question...

I was discussing this with my friend earlier, we are not exactly sure what would happen.

Suppose the scores are level so the batting side needs 1 run to win. They have lost 9 wickets, so if the fielding side takes one more wicket the match will be a tie.

The bowler bowls a wide, but the batsman is stumped off it.

What would happen? Would it be a tie or would the batting side win?

I believe that the batting side would win; despite losing their last wicket, they also recieved the winning run. I think the match would be recorded as '*batting team* won by 0 wickets".

Anybody know the correct ruling in the situation? Or am I forgetting something simple?

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    I'm no expert with regards to umpiring and scoring in those situations but would take a guess that the wide would be recorded before the stumping, indicating game over and a win to the batting side by 1 wicket. Although would also be interested to hear if anyone with a full understanding of the laws could explain either way.

How about under the same situation with one run to win and one wicket in hand, if the bowler bowls a wide but the batsman hits his own wickets, either before or after the wide is signalled - what would happen in that case? Must be a pretty uncoordinated batsman to do so, admittedly, but just raising the point.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Re. the original post: Not sure, but I'd think the batting side would win by 1 wicket, as chronolgically they scored the run before the wicket was taken, so therefore the wicket wouldn't be registered.

Cracking question though.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    How about under the same situation with one run to win and one wicket in hand, if the bowler bowls a wide but the batsman hits his own wickets, either before or after the wide is signalled - what would happen in that case? Must be a pretty uncoordinated batsman to do so, admittedly, but just raising the point.
    9 wickets down, and Chris Martin steps up to the crease.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    However, for Martin to hit his own wickets it would likely require some footwork which contradicts his superb "Learn How to Bat" DVD.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    What would the scenario be if batsman X was on 98* on the last ball needing 1 to win and he ran the second to bring up his century to get run out?

Win by 1 wicket? Can you run two after you've won? Pretty sure you can't but worth asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I'm no expert with regards to umpiring and scoring in those situations but would take a guess that the wide would be recorded before the stumping, indicating game over and a win to the batting side by 1 wicket. Although would also be interested to hear if anyone with a full understanding of the laws could explain either way.

According to the laws of Cricket a wide is considered a wide from the instant the ball is released by the bowler regardless of when the umpires calls wide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    What would the scenario be if batsman X was on 98* on the last ball needing 1 to win and he ran the second to bring up his century to get run out?

Win by 1 wicket? Can you run two after you've won? Pretty sure you can't but worth asking.

No, game ends the instant they pass the target score.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    According to the laws of Cricket a wide is considered a wide from the instant the ball is released by the bowler regardless of when the umpires calls wide.

Law 25 (Wide ball) - Laws - Laws of Cricket - Laws & Spirit - Lord's

1. Judging a Wide
    (a) If the bowler bowls a ball, not being a No ball, the umpire shall adjudge it a Wide if, according to the definition in (b) below, in his opinion the ball passes wide of the striker where he is standing and would also have passed wide of him standing in a normal guard position.

(b) The ball will be considered as passing wide of the striker unless it is sufficiently within his reach for him to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.

2. Delivery not a Wide
    The umpire shall not adjudge a delivery as being a Wide
    (a) if the striker, by moving,
    either (i) causes the ball to pass wide of him, as defined in 1(b) above
    or (ii) brings the ball sufficiently within his reach to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.

(b) if the ball touches the striker's bat or person.
    How can you judge a wide until after the ball reaches the batsman?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

Law 25 (Wide ball) - Laws - Laws of Cricket - Laws & Spirit - Lord's

How can you judge a wide until after the ball reaches the batsman?
    Check law 25,3,A

Ah, indeed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    As above, if the wide is considered from as soon as the ball is released, then the stumping would not count and the game would be over. That was an interesting question, didn't know the answer off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Pretty sure it's come up a few times before. Didn't know the answer off the top of my head either, though.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    As above, if the wide is considered from as soon as the ball is released, then the stumping would not count and the game would be over. That was an interesting question, didn't know the answer off the top of my head.
    8. Out from a Wide
    When Wide ball has been called, neither batsman shall be out under any of the Laws except 33 (Handled the ball), 35 (Hit wicket), 37 (Obstructing the field), 38 (Run out) or 39 (Stumped).

Would be out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    8. Out from a Wide
    When Wide ball has been called, neither batsman shall be out under any of the Laws except 33 (Handled the ball), 35 (Hit wicket), 37 (Obstructing the field), 38 (Run out) or 39 (Stumped).

Would be out.
    Nah you dont understand the hierachy of the calls. Once the wide is bowled the game is over and no further actions will be recorded.

Refer to law 21,6,A if you are confused.
    Last edited by Streetwise; 07-12-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information