• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.51...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As a taster for the Top 50, I've decided to steal from TripleJ's hottest 100 countdown where they begin by naming the song which came in at number 101 and so just missed the cut.

And so, let us join in commiserating with the player who came oh-so-close to breaking the top 50 but has to settle for being the best of the rest as CW's 51st greatest cricketer of all time...

Clarrie Grimmett | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

The great Clarence Victor Grimmett - born in New Zealand but adopted, like so many other Kiwis, as a true blue Australian, Clarrie remains one of the greatest spin bowlers in the history of the game. He reached 200 wickets faster than any other bowler in history (just 36 Tests) and was christened by Ashley Mallett to be "The Bradman of Spin."

Dropped while still in peak form, having formed an almost unplayable partnership with his great friend Bill O'Reilly, he is surely the only bowler to have taken 34 wickets from his last three Tests and then never played again! A true legend and the closest, unluckiest of all ommissions from CricketWeb's final all time top 50.

The full countdown will commence in the next 24 hours...

JBMAC

State Captain
A tragic story if ever there was one..am surprised at his omission out the top 50

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Great start Shaun.

Fantastic bowler, will be interested to see what position his bowling partner Bill O'Reilly ends up (if he makes it). Awesome bowler was Grimmett, gave nothing away and just piled on the pressure for over upon over.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Grimmett would've made the actual list rather than fall short.

Odds on Bradman being 1st?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah nice start. I admit I couldn't find room for Scarl in my 25, but he'd be in my 50 easily.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah nice start. I admit I couldn't find room for Scarl in my 25, but he'd be in my 50 easily.
Yeah exactly. He's one of those players that I'm almost certain would have made the top 50 if we all selected 50 players for our top 50, looking forward to the top 50!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Oh shiznit, I just realised I missed someone out of my top 25 that I definitely would have in there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mate, if this is indicative of the quality that you're going to be producing for each player, you should speak to James about getting it put out in blog/column form on the frontpage of the site. This thread could be for the discussion but it would be a good feature for the site.

Also as a suggestion, perhaps you could indicate what each player got in terms of total votes and percentage of voters who included them as you reveal them?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mate, if this is indicative of the quality that you're going to be producing for each player, you should speak to James about getting it put out in blog/column form on the frontpage of the site. This thread could be for the discussion but it would be a good feature for the site.

Also as a suggestion, perhaps you could indicate what each player got in terms of total votes and percentage of voters who included them as you reveal them?
second that... Would be awesome on so many levels.. Great start, Sean.. Have heard of Grimmett quite a bit but could not fit him into my top 25.. I suppose I went for the more "current" players quite a bit..

archie mac

International Coach
Great start Shaun.

Fantastic bowler, will be interested to see what position his bowling partner Bill O'Reilly ends up (if he makes it). Awesome bowler was Grimmett, gave nothing away and just piled on the pressure for over upon over.
I will never visit the forum again if he does not make it:@

Well maybe:ph34r:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remarkable lack of Stan McCabe as well - as far ahead of the other batting omissions as Bradman is of those included