• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think that India are helping kill the game?

jboss

Banned
I just read this:
Sport - Error

And I feel I share the views of many that have commented there but would like to add my own.

The fact is that the ICC are killing the game and thier support base. By dividing the game they have divided the fan base too and in turn have given the world too much cricket for it's own good.

I would like to start by saying that if test cricket dies, then my support for any other format will die too. I have abs. no interest in the 20 over game and have at times found the 50 over format boring although it was the reason I became a fan.

India themselves can also be held responsible for the recent decline in live support in South Africa by bringing the IPl here. There has simply been too much cricket in SA over the last year and most of it has been pointless with no reason to support a team that I know nothing about (with the IPL) and even more with the champion league format.

In over 20 years of following the game, I have never once had any interest in following any other county/provincial comperitions other than the ones from my home land so why on earth would I start now?

In short there are a billion people in India and almost ALL of them lover cricket, whereas in my country we have below 50 million people of which a few love cricket. Of these few, there are some that love test cricket and others who love the baseball format that came along with it. The 20 over and 50 over format continue to bring new fans to the game who have little to no respect of the hisory and vry littl understanding of the rules. These shorter formats also bring unwelcome changes to the game that make it severely unbalanced and push people like me who love the original format away.

There is no doubt that this series was cancelled due to tv ratings that are pushed up by people who love the modern game and it is little wonder why there are so many of them as the game has been made into one that appeals to these quick fix cricket junkies that love to see sixes and fours.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that surely crickt has no future if it continues to draw fans that have little respect to it, son't understand it and if it keeps changing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I love your doomsday threads.

Obviously there needs to be a balance in the types and amount of cricket played in each calendar year but there's no way India can be blamed for a supposed death of test cricket. Ever since ODs were introduced people have prophesied the death of the longer format and frankly I don't believe there will ever be such a death. Test Cricket will continue to be the main focus of Cricket fans for decades to come IMO.

jboss

Banned
Did you even read the article? India have cancelled the test series for money from tv revenue? This would have been a test series between 1 and 2 and was cancelled in favour of a BS version of the game. This is the 1st tour I know of that has been cancelled due to tv revenues.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
BCCI are well known for being greedy pigs. Their and Lalit Modi's attitude towards test cricket is a major factor for the decline of test cricket for sure. India control over 60 % of the game revenue and if the administrators in that country view test cricket as a liability, its no surprise that test cricket will decline.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI are well known for being greedy pigs. Their and Lalit Modi's attitude towards test cricket is a major factor for the decline of test cricket for sure. India control over 60 % of the game revenue and if the administrators in that country view test cricket as a liability, its no surprise that test cricket will decline.
I guess there isn't anything really to be done but hope for a change in attitude.

jboss

Banned
I don't think it's just test cricket that is dying if you saw the crowd attendance of the Eng vs SA T20. There is too much cricket that becomes boring because all we see is sixes and fours. Who know how long th fans for T20 will last seeing that they have little respect for the game anyway.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's just test cricket that is dying if you saw the crowd attendance of the Eng vs SA T20. There is too much cricket that becomes boring because all we see is sixes and fours. Who know how long th fans for T20 will last seeing that they have little respect for the game anyway.
I think your being very pessimistic though. The game in the past had ebbed and flowed in popularity and when everyone was witnessing the death of cricket in the 60s it surged back.

jboss

Banned
There are other implications:
1) I watch less international games as I see enough of these international players in the champs league and the IPL.

2)It has already impacted a key player like Kallis who is unilkely for the 1st test due to injury from champs league.

It therefore has implications in the performance of our national teams and series results are possibly in the hanging. I for one think i am going to boycott anything Indian that is related to cricket.

Shri

Mr. Glass
This thread would have got a 5 star rating 2 years back. Point has been discussed to death ever since I became active here. The same topic makes an appearance here every month. So, this is The BCCI Course, December 2009. Will be a new one in Jan 2010. Doesn't change anything.

Shri

Mr. Glass
There is another chance too. We have all seen the BCCI cashing in on a particular format whenever the side is good at it like ODIs an T20s. Now that they are at the top of the Test table, we might see a sudden rush of test matches being played by these guys. Should wait and see what happens now tbh. Could go either way, continued indifference or a ****load of tests scheduled in an adrenaline rush.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There is another chance too. We have all seen the BCCI cashing in on a particular format whenever the side is good at it like ODIs an T20s. Now that they are at the top of the Test table, we might see a sudden rush of test matches being played by these guys. Should wait and see what happens now tbh. Could go either way, continued indifference or a ****load of tests scheduled in an adrenaline rush.
The cancellation of the India - South Africa Test series doesn't suggest a sudden rush towards Test cricket. The reason this subject is being done to death is that it's a real worry for all those of us who love Test cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sport24 learnt on Monday that the intended series has been shelved, despite no official annoucement being forthcoming at the time of writing.
Perhaps hold off on the outrage for now.

I don't trust any site which doesn't let me copy and paste their text. :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The question isn't, "Are the BCCI killing test cricket?" The question is, what are you going to do about it?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The question isn't, "Are the BCCI killing test cricket?" The question is, what are you going to do about it?
Indeed. Maybe someone in the ICC with a heart (a former player) can organise a meeting or something with the big cats, to decide to revamp the ICC into a real governing body somehow. But for now the bureaucracy continues...

jboss

Banned
Perhaps hold off on the outrage for now.

I don't trust any site which doesn't let me copy and paste their text. :p
A facebook update from CSA revealed that the press got this one wrong....

Ther series has NOT been cancelled and has been postponed due to busy schedules and will be played at a later dat that suites both countries.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So that means CSA is equally responsible in the postponement? Can someone now lock this thread?
lol bit hopeful Precam. Sounds more like exactly what everyone thinks and the BCCI have told CSA that the Tests will have to come at another date.