• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India: Deserved of No. 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it is that borderline, why the hell can't people accept that we are #1 with the way the rankings work... If someone does better in the criteria set by the rankings, they will go to #1 and we will move down. Till then, we are the best test team in the world, by however little a margin, as per the ICC ratings... End of story, really... And it is not like we have lost any big series recently to say we don't deserve to be #1. Perhaps others deserve to be up there too but until they play and beat teams, we are going to be #1...

Personally, I still think it is a bit of a dead heat between RSA, India and Australia.. We all have our weaknesses and no team really stands out. But on current form, India have won more series than those two (of course, we have faced easier opposition away and at home, we are always good) but the rankings reward current performances as much as anything and that is why we are #1 and they are not.
Agree with everything you say except that Oz do not deserve to be anywhere near no. 1 as they have lost 3/4 last series

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it is that borderline, why the hell can't people accept that we are #1 with the way the rankings work... If someone does better in the criteria set by the rankings, they will go to #1 and we will move down. Till then, we are the best test team in the world, by however little a margin, as per the ICC ratings... End of story, really... And it is not like we have lost any big series recently to say we don't deserve to be #1. Perhaps others deserve to be up there too but until they play and beat teams, we are going to be #1...

Personally, I still think it is a bit of a dead heat between RSA, India and Australia.. We all have our weaknesses and no team really stands out. But on current form, India have won more series than those two (of course, we have faced easier opposition away and at home, we are always good) but the rankings reward current performances as much as anything and that is why we are #1 and they are not.
Well, if the 'title' itself mean's that much to you, then you should take great satisfaction that they are 'no.1' according to the ICC. However, given that you have conceded yourself that it's hardly a 'clear-cut' thing at the moment, not sure why you appear so outraged that others see it much the same way.

Zinzan

When did CW CC devolve into such a bunch of precious, prissy fanboys? :(
Prissiness & handbag throwing aside :happy: this thread promises some interesting debate once the emotion dies down & folks become rational.

pasag

RTDAS
Nothing much between India and SA, would have India slightly ahead (thus #1 ranking deserved).

Matt79

Global Moderator
Prissiness & handbag throwing aside :happy: this thread promises some interesting debate once the emotion dies down & folks become rational.
Really?

Is there as clearly a "best" team at the moment as has been the case in other periods? No.

Does India have the highest current ratings accordig to the agreed system? Yes.

Are there other teams with a demonstrably better claim to the number 1 slot? No.

Rating deserved.

[/thread]

Zinzan

Really?

Is there as clearly a "best" team at the moment as has been the case in other periods? No.

Does India have the highest current ratings accordig to the agreed system? Yes.

Are there other teams with a demonstrably better claim to the number 1 slot? No.

Rating deserved.

[/thread]
Or of course the other option is for you just to ignore the thread & allow others who do wish to engage in debate to continue

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh: I reckon. Talk about precious English, Australian & NZ fans...I was crucified by some Indian posters on the other thread for suggesting that whilst they maybe ranked no.1, they don't have a 'great' bowling attack. Extremely precious.
Its not 'precious' if people try and debate your point, and you don't bother replying/don't have a reply.

Test cricket was far weaker in 2005 than in 2009, when it's the best its been in years. That's not precious.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Its not 'precious' if people try and debate your point, and you don't bother replying/don't have a reply.
Debating a point is one thing, labeling it 'hatred' when the point is made is precious no matter what way one looks at it.

and you don't bother replying/don't have a reply.
Replied & provided my rationale on my view of the Indian bowling attack above

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What do you mean 'away'?

They beat WI and Eng away and were very competitive against SA and Australia. The last time they played in SA was 3 years ago.

England were unable to beat WI away.

Australia were unable to beat England away.

Can't see how this is such a horrible anomaly in the system.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Who cares what the bowling attack looks like? They're picking 20 wickets a match and the batsmen are making up for any deficiencies. The #1 rank goes by results achieved, not on which team looks most pretty on paper.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Debating a point is one thing, labeling it 'hatred' when the point is made is precious no matter what way one looks at it.

Replied & provided my rationale on my view of the Indian bowling attack above
In the other thread (can we merge them? Its tough replying in like 4 threads with people commenting on how India don't deserve #1). You said test cricket was weak because India were #1.

I replied saying that test cricket was at one of its worst stages at the start of 2005, and linked to a sting of 5 of the worst test matches in recent times with Australia dominating against **** teams.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What do you mean 'away'?

They beat WI and Eng away and were very competitive against SA and Australia. The last time they played in SA was 3 years ago.

England were unable to beat WI away.

Australia were unable to beat England away.

Can't see how this is such a horrible anomaly in the system.
Not my fault they havn't played SA at home in three years. Nevertheless, if they can't defeat the top teams away they won't, in my eyes, deserve the title of number one. For years teams have struggled to win at India, but that didn't mean they deserved no1, and frankly the situation has barely changed except for a slight improvement in being able to defeat the Windies or England when away.

Status
Not open for further replies.