• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Coloureds' in Saffer cricket

shivfan

Banned
Of course, as we all know, before 1990, the South African cricket authorities practised a system of apartheid, which also meant that they fielded all-white teams. However, since 1990, a quota system was used to fast-track a lot of non-white players into the national and domestic sides. It was a much-crticised system, and the authorities were defensive about it at the time. However, the quota system seems to have worked, because players like Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla and JP Duminy are regulars in the side now.

And of course, over the past couple of decades, SOuth African cricket was well-served by players like Paul Adams and Hershelle Gibbs, who are called 'coloureds' in South Africa, while in other countries around the world they would be called 'mixed-race'. Nobody can seriously question the places of Ntini, Prince, Amla and Duminy in the Test team, on the basis of their records, while Alviro Petersen clearly deserves his place in the ODI side, and Loots Bosman is an explosive batsman in the 20/20 team.

But aside from Ntini, not many black players have made it in cricket at the highest level in South Africa, and aside from Amla, the same is true of players of East Indian origin. Yes, Lanlewo Tsotsobe and Imraan Khan are on the fringes, but the main progress seems to have been made by the 'coloureds', especially the Cape Coloureds, who seem to have embraced the game of cricket much more readily than the black majority.

However, sometimes it's a little difficult to know if a player is a 'coloured' or not, just by looking at him. I met Gibbs a decade ago, and I wouldn't know he was 'coloured' if I hadn't been told. So, similarly, are there any other players currently on the verge of selection who are 'coloured', but are so light-skinned that it might not be obvious to the rest of us?

Yes, some may say, what's the point of this? But not so long ago, in South Africa, the shade of your skin could determine your future, so talking about the diversity within the Saffer team is an indication of how much progress has been made....

Does anyone have a list of all the 'coloured' players to have played for South Africa since 1990?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
May've missed some, but here's my best guess.

In tests:

Omar Henry
Paul Adams
Herschelle Gibbs
Justin Ontong
Ashwell Prince
Robin Peterson
Charl Langeveldt
JP Duminy

ODIs only:

Henry Williams
Loots Bosman
Alviro Petersen
Vernon Philander

Although the first "coloured" to play for SA did so way back in the 19th century, Charles "Buck" Llewellyn.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I still dont believe it but I think TTBoy was correct and the Wayne Parnell is classed as coloured.

Coloured cricket has a long history in SA and it a traditional sport in a number of areas. I is not an area that has been developed but already existed.

The worry of transformation is that, despite millions of rand being invested, there are still few Black cricketers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would never have guessed it, but that does seem to be the case. Back in May 2008 Norman Arendse said (link),

"It would be irresponsible to push (Lonwabo) Tsotsobe or (Wayne) Parnell or any of the other players of colour at this stage."

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would never have guessed it, but that does seem to be the case. Back in May 2008 Norman Arendse said (link),

"It would be irresponsible to push (Lonwabo) Tsotsobe or (Wayne) Parnell or any of the other players of colour at this stage."
Yeah, I always thought that statement was fairly ambiguous and didnt actually show anything but there have been a few other comments and articles that indicate that he is coloured.

shivfan

Banned
Thanks, guys....

This has been very informative.

I thought Parnell was coloured, but I wasn't sure.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Telemachus
Ontong
R. Peterson
A. Peterson
Kruger
Prince
Langeveldt
Gibbs
Duminy
Kleinveldt
Philander
Parnell
Bosman
Adams
Henry
Bodi
Amla
Abrahams
Williams
Abdulla
Thomas

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course, as we all know, before 1990, the South African cricket authorities practised a system of apartheid, which also meant that they fielded all-white teams. However, since 1990, a quota system was used to fast-track a lot of non-white players into the national and domestic sides. It was a much-crticised system, and the authorities were defensive about it at the time. However, the quota system seems to have worked, because players like Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla and JP Duminy are regulars in the side now.

And of course, over the past couple of decades, SOuth African cricket was well-served by players like Paul Adams and Hershelle Gibbs, who are called 'coloureds' in South Africa, while in other countries around the world they would be called 'mixed-race'. Nobody can seriously question the places of Ntini, Prince, Amla and Duminy in the Test team, on the basis of their records, while Alviro Petersen clearly deserves his place in the ODI side, and Loots Bosman is an explosive batsman in the 20/20 team.

But aside from Ntini, not many black players have made it in cricket at the highest level in South Africa, and aside from Amla, the same is true of players of East Indian origin. Yes, Lanlewo Tsotsobe and Imraan Khan are on the fringes, but the main progress seems to have been made by the 'coloureds', especially the Cape Coloureds, who seem to have embraced the game of cricket much more readily than the black majority.

However, sometimes it's a little difficult to know if a player is a 'coloured' or not, just by looking at him. I met Gibbs a decade ago, and I wouldn't know he was 'coloured' if I hadn't been told. So, similarly, are there any other players currently on the verge of selection who are 'coloured', but are so light-skinned that it might not be obvious to the rest of us?

Yes, some may say, what's the point of this? But not so long ago, in South Africa, the shade of your skin could determine your future, so talking about the diversity within the Saffer team is an indication of how much progress has been made....

Does anyone have a list of all the 'coloured' players to have played for South Africa since 1990?
A few modifications suggested to make this post more accurate:

Of course, as we all know, before 1990, the South African political authorities practised a system of apartheid, which also meant that the sports teams fielded all-white teams. However, since 1999, a quota system was used to fast-track a lot of non-white players into the national and domestic sides. It was a much-criticised system, and the authorities were defensive about it at the time. The quota system has had no significant impact. Aside from Ntini, not many black players have made it in cricket at the highest level in South Africa, and aside from Amla, the same is true of players of East Indian origin. Yes, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Imraan Khan are on the fringes, but the main progress seems to have been made by the 'coloureds', especially the Cape Coloureds, who have always embraced the game of cricket much more readily than the black majority, long before the demolition of apartheid and long before the quota system (which happened at different times).

Yes, some may say, what's the point of this? But not so long ago, in South Africa, the shade of your skin could determine your future, so talking about the diversity within the Saffer team is an indication of how much progress has been made.... but only in terms of the fact that those who were once barred are now welcomed. There has been no significant progress in advancing the involvement of those whose interest was always low 60, 40, 20 and 10 years ago.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A few modifications suggested to make this post more accurate:

Of course, as we all know, before 1990, the South African political authorities practised a system of apartheid, which also meant that the sports teams fielded all-white teams. However, since 1999, a quota system was used to fast-track a lot of non-white players into the national and domestic sides. It was a much-criticised system, and the authorities were defensive about it at the time. The quota system has had no significant impact. Aside from Ntini, not many black players have made it in cricket at the highest level in South Africa, and aside from Amla, the same is true of players of East Indian origin. Yes, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Imraan Khan are on the fringes, but the main progress seems to have been made by the 'coloureds', especially the Cape Coloureds, who have always embraced the game of cricket much more readily than the black majority, long before the demolition of apartheid and long before the quota system (which happened at different times).

Yes, some may say, what's the point of this? But not so long ago, in South Africa, the shade of your skin could determine your future, so talking about the diversity within the Saffer team is an indication of how much progress has been made.... but only in terms of the fact that those who were once barred are now welcomed. There has been no significant progress in advancing the involvement of those whose interest was always low 60, 40, 20 and 10 years ago.
A black African from Soweto opening in franchise cricket and scoring a hundred against England's performance squad would suggest there has been some progress. Soweto and the Gauteng townships had no cricketing culture twenty years ago yet when England U19's toured South Africa early this year their were taken apart by a kid from Duduza.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hence the "significant" in there. In 1999 people were envisaging that the black townships would soon be producing talent oozing out the sides, when such a thing was never remotely likely and isn't going to be happening any time soon. Black cricket culture, on a large scale, being developed, if it happens (and it may or may not), will be many years ahead yet.

And BTW don't anyone tell me that no Black Africans at all played cricket in South Africa in, say, 1967.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hence the "significant" in there. In 1999 people were envisaging that the black townships would soon be producing talent oozing out the sides, when such a thing was never remotely likely and isn't going to be happening any time soon. Black cricket culture, on a large scale, being developed, if it happens (and it may or may not), will be many years ahead yet.

And BTW don't anyone tell me that no Black Africans at all played cricket in South Africa in, say, 1967.
I didn't.8-)

Blacks have been cricketing since the 19th century in the Eastern Cape but as I said (before you jumped the gun), Soweto and the Gauteng townships twenty years ago didn't have a cricketing culture.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I didn't.8-)
I gave names of anyone who did precisely where?
Blacks have been cricketing since the 19th century in the Eastern Cape but as I said (before you jumped the gun), Soweto and the Gauteng townships twenty years ago didn't have a cricketing culture.
And they have one now?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't.8-)

Still dont as far as I can see.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I gave names of anyone who did precisely where?

And they have one now?
You quoted my post and left the caveat that the post was implying that blacks have no cricketing culture.

As for the Gauteng townships now having a cricketing culture, they are producing professional cricketers so CSA's money is finally seeing some dividend.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Still dont as far as I can see.
From what I’ve read, I would agree though apparently it is getting more popular with the advent of 20/20 and as I said, there are a few guys now emerging.

Always been surprised why CSA are so keen to invest in the Gauteng townships but they have never arranged for South Africa to play an international at the Soweto cricket ground. Surely, an annual fixture there would compliment the grass-root initiatives taking place…