Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Selectors

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar

Indian Selectors

We often give them the boot with a lot of pleasure... But I think this time, we need to give them full marks.. They seem to have been on the money with the test selections.

1. Picking Yuvraj for replacement to Sourav. We all have our opinions on his technique and his weaknesses but the guy has done nothing to suggest he does not belong at this level so far...

2. Mishra as the second spinner.. A great pick and a big reason for us to get over Australia... And now dropping him against quick footed Sri Lanka and picking the defensive option in Ojha.. Again seems to have worked like a charm.

3. Picking Badrinath as the reserve middle order batter.. Thank God blokes like Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli weren't considered. They still need to put out scores and days in the RAnji before their debuts can happen.

4. Picking Munaf as the 3rd seamer and recalling Sreesanth at the right time. They seem to have been touched by the magic wand..

5. Spotting M Vijay.. enough said.

For a bunch who are often collared in Indian cricket, they have done a pretty good job so far.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

ret
    They should look to field an all-rounder at some point as it would give depth to both bowling and batting

They picked only 6 bowlers for the squad of 16 against SL. Would have preferred 7 bowlers to give more options to Dhoni (though it all worked out well in the end but am talking from the PoV of pre-series planning)

And I am not too sure abt Bhajji's usefulness outside the subcontinent so would like to see a proper plan wrt to the primary spinner and his development .... Also would like to see some young fast bowlers like Tyagi included in the squad so they can learn abt playing international teams from the dressing room
    Fastest gun in town

vengsarkar's selection team was instrumental in the rebuilding of the indian team. he had made much tougher decisions, like dropping saurav and then bringing him back, that have helped the team in the long run.

Banned
    Thanks for opening this nice thread honestbharani. I agree with you and Bagapath. Both the selection committees have taken some brave decisions like elevation of Dhoni to captaincy ahead of a much senior Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan singh, The T20 experiments, etc. However I wish they bred Pujara in this current season. Atleast they should have given him a contract (Does he have one?) and made him an understudy for Dravd/Laxman whose boots he looks most likely to fill in. Also I wish they could have given Nair of Mumbai a fair go before dropping him. He has the potential to be the next Lance Klusener.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    We often give them the boot with a lot of pleasure... But I think this time, we need to give them full marks.. They seem to have been on the money with the test selections.

1. Picking Yuvraj for replacement to Sourav. We all have our opinions on his technique and his weaknesses but the guy has done nothing to suggest he does not belong at this level so far...

2. Mishra as the second spinner.. A great pick and a big reason for us to get over Australia... And now dropping him against quick footed Sri Lanka and picking the defensive option in Ojha.. Again seems to have worked like a charm.

3. Picking Badrinath as the reserve middle order batter.. Thank God blokes like Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli weren't considered. They still need to put out scores and days in the RAnji before their debuts can happen.

4. Picking Munaf as the 3rd seamer and recalling Sreesanth at the right time. They seem to have been touched by the magic wand..

5. Spotting M Vijay.. enough said.

For a bunch who are often collared in Indian cricket, they have done a pretty good job so far.
    To be fair, with the exception of Vijay, it's difficult to imagine any other choices

Yuvraj, by virtue of his popularity, was always going to get the job whether he deserved it or not

India bowled so poorly in the first test that someone had to go and the scapegoat was Mishra

Badrinath has been crucified but it was a popularity contest so his fc runs werent enough to get him into the X1

Seesanth's selection was really just a process of elimination as Ishant, Munaf, Nehra and Kumar (in ODIs anyway) were tried and found wanting. The question was really "if not Sreesanth, then who?"

Banned
    Social, I disagree on the Sreesanth issue. He was facing axe from his domestic side even due to poor form and the usual disciplinary issues. There are other performing seamers in the domestic arena like sudeep Tyagi, pankaj singh, who have been in the Indian sqaud earlire also.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Seesanth's selection was really just a process of elimination as Ishant, Munaf, Nehra and Kumar (in ODIs anyway) were tried and found wanting. The question was really "if not Sreesanth, then who?"
    RP Singh could have been chosen. They could have gone back to Irfan Pathan.

Sree wasn't exactly on the radar. Surprised a few people.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Badrinath has been crucified but it was a popularity contest so his fc runs werent enough to get him into the X1
    That's not relevant to the point he made. The selectors chose Badrinath when they could have easily chosen Raina.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That's not relevant to the point he made. The selectors chose Badrinath as a bag carrier when they could have easily chosen him in the playing x1 based on performances.
    Fixed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Haha, indeed.

Fixed
    Heh, that's funny so I'll give you credit but you weren't replying to the point the opening post was making.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Heh, that's funny so I'll give you credit but you weren't replying to the point the opening post was making.
    yeah.. Social, I agree with you that he should have had a shot at playing. But at the same time, Yuvi has not done badly at all and he was in red hot form in the ODIs against England, so it is hard to argue against them giving him the shot first... As I said, I am really glad that he is next in line for a middle order spot than the likes of Rohit, Raina and Kohli...

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    While they did make a few calls right, most important one being the recall of Sreesanth at the right time..but I really think they are making a big mistake by sidelining Irfan Pathan. He can be used effectively in both Test and ODI cricket. He won them a test match in Perth in 07.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    While they did make a few calls right, most important one being the recall of Sreesanth at the right time..but I really think they are making a big mistake by sidelining Irfan Pathan. He can be used effectively in both Test and ODI cricket. He won them a test match in Perth in 07.
    He has been sidelined on account of poor performances and quite rightly. He needs to find his form and work his way back to the Indian team.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Yeah Indian selectors have been good right from the time of blooding Ishant Sharma one can argue. Unlike bagapath, I hated the selection committe under Vengsarkar. Vengsarkar said in the press that Nehra had no chance ever of making the team and had written him off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information