• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, like I said, against anyone else, I think it was too soon. Against Pakistan, though..... the way I see it, they'll look stylish and play some glorious shots but 300 will be a big ask even on this deck.
Hating myself, tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow a lot of people doing a good job at restoring my contempt for human beings. Seriously dumb the way people justify every single ****witted decision by Ponting purely looking at the result, not the percentages. I guess there'll be a big shift when one eventually goes wrong, even though I doubt he'll ever do anything quite as bad as the declarations he's made in the past few Tests.
Yeah, I tend to agree. Even if Australia win anyway, the decision in no way increased the chances of that happening. If Pakistan bat out *almost* the entire game from here - which the the whole point behind a declaration: to make sure you have time to bowl the opposition out twice - then they'll have passed Australia's score, making the declaration completely and utterly pointless unless it rains a lot. The only way it'll change a draw into a result is if Australia lose.

People are always quick to criticise captaincy they see as overly defensive but there's a universal acceptable of anything attacking at all, even if it's lacking in any logic like this decision. It's possible for a piece of attacking captaincy to be stupid, pointless or just plain wrong; I get the feeling that if a captain set four slips and two gullies for every bowler regardless of the situation and declared whenever the team hit 420, people would applaud it despite the fact that it'd be absolutely moronic. People talk about stuff like this being brave but I think it's quite the opposite these days - anything "attacking" is immune from criticism to a lot of people these days so it's an easy way out. It takes balls to make a calculated "defensive" moved based on the percentages because such moves are so roundly criticised by the do-gooders of the cricket world.

For the record I actually think Ponting is a decent captain but he definitely makes some really questionable calls at times. This isn't a Ponting issue for mine; early and completely pointless declarations happen pretty regularly.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeah, I tend to agree. Even if Australia win anyway, the decision in no way increased the chances of that happening. If Pakistan bat out *almost* the entire game from here - which the the whole point behind a declaration: to make sure you have time to bowl the opposition out twice - then they'll have passed Australia's score, making the declaration completely and utterly pointless unless it rains a lot. The only way it'll change a draw into a result is if Australia lose.
It's not the only point of a declaration, though.

People are always quick to criticise captaincy they see as overly defensive but there's a universal acceptable of anything attacking at all, even if it's lacking in any logic like this decision. It's possible for a piece of attacking captaincy to be stupid, pointless or just plain wrong; I get the feeling that if a captain set four slips and two gullies for every bowler regardless of the situation and declared whenever he hit 420, people would applaud it despite the fact that it'd be absolutely moronic. People talk about stuff like this being brave but I think it's quite the opposite these days - anything "attacking" is immune from criticism to a lot of people these days so it's an easy way out. It takes balls to make a calculated "defensive" moved based on the percentages because such moves are so roundly criticised by the do-gooders of the cricket world.
Geezus, 'do-gooders'? The above is right up there with your average Sydney talk-back shock jock!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Smiff, wasn't in a superman kit up.

And too many blokes approach cricket captaincy a la International Cricket Captain.

pasag

RTDAS
Where were all you ****s when we were shouting at the top of out lungs that Dougy should have been in the side in 2008?

Top_Cat

Where were all you ****s when we were shouting at the top of out lungs that Dougy should have been in the side in 2008?
Telling you he had to bide his ****ing time. He did and it worked out, deal with it. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh geeze, hardly a huge verbal blast Greigy. For goodness' sake.

Commentators have been super ordinary over the last hour.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Ahhhh I love tenth wicket partnerships. Would be even better it it was Rauf and Ajmal going for a bit of a tonk.

Howsie

International Captain
Good to see Peter Siddle plays the big man when the number 11 is at the crease. Where was this when Akmal was swatting you away with ease?

Jayzamann

International Regular
Bouncer, bouncer, bouncer, drift onto the pads to concede a single, rinse, repeat.

Heh as I typed that, Johnson finally pitched it up and got a wicket. Firgures.

archie mac

International Coach
The great WIs of the mid 80s never tried this "give the batsman a single" crap, they attacked both batsman and bunny:@