• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Referral System claims its first victim

Matt79

Global Moderator
Umpires would eventually start referring everything that was even close though, like they do with run-outs. While people will no doubt whinge about how much time this would waste, I personally wouldn't blink an eye if we lost five overs a day should it mean we eliminated the vast majority of umpiring mistakes.
This post typifies to me part of why I object to the push to a review system. To read that, you'd assume that currently the game is crippled with poor officiating. Someone quoted the figure of 92% of decisions by umpires are correct - that's partly the reason why bad decisions invoke such heartache, because they're a distortion of the normal order of things.

If you want to drastically change how the game flows to address the proportion of those 8% that are seriously wrong, as opposed to line ball calls that don't upset either side too much, I can only disagree with you.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This post typifies to me part of why I object to the push to a review system. To read that, you'd assume that currently the game is crippled with poor officiating. Someone quoted the figure of 92% of decisions by umpires are correct - that's partly the reason why bad decisions invoke such heartache, because they're a distortion of the normal order of things.

If you want to drastically change how the game flows to address the proportion of those 8% that are seriously wrong, as opposed to line ball calls that don't upset either side too much, I can only disagree with you.
I think getting 8% of decisions wrong is not good enough.

I far prefer the 3% under the new system (although I take both figures with a pinch of s.)

And it's not as though the referrals hold things up all that much.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never has a change been made to the game (or indeed any game) without opposition. People are suspicious of change. I reckon that within five years the loose aspects of the system will be tied up, it'll be universally accepted and we'll all wonder how we ever got on without it, in the same way that we now think of run-out referrals.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Never has a change been made to the game (or indeed any game) without opposition. People are suspicious of change. I reckon that within five years the loose aspects of the system will be tied up, it'll be universally accepted and we'll all wonder how we ever got on without it, in the same way that we now think of run-out referrals.
Except for one of our number, who will be saying "the fact that the system works excellently does not mean it was right to introduce it in the first place" :ph34r: