• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Yousuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
I still dont understand why is he still so under rated by every one. I know his average is not his best against Australia but still that average doesn't reflect his ability as a batsmen. if given a few more chances against australia i am sure he can bump his average up. He has saved Pakistan so many times on both tests and odi's, but no body talks about him. He has been the backbone of pakistani batting for a very long time now

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How is he underrated? You have to elaborate a bit more on that. If by underrated you mean that he is not considered in the same breath as the modern masters Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kallis etc...then he is rated perfectly, he is not just not as good as them as I have been saying quite a lot on this forum lately.
Infact, him breaking the record of Viv Richards and scoring a truck load of runs on flat sub continent wickets has to an extent clouded some people's judgement and they at times overrate him.

He is not a bad player by any means, anyone with an average above 50 and over 20 test centuries cannot be a bad player, but to differentiate the very best from the very good, there are certain things you look at and Yousuf does not fare very well then.
Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, Dravid have all thrived against the best bowling attacks of their times, and won/saved matches at times. Ponting' 156 at Old Trafford comes to mind, Dravid's 230 at Adelaide comes to mind, Lara's 200 against Australia in 99 comes to mind, Tendulkar's 241 in Sydney comes to mind. Yousuf's below average record puts him well below those 4. I dont give too much importance to matchwinning centuries becaues I believe it is often beyond one player to win a test match, so I wont hold that against him if he was phenomenal against South Africa, Australia in losing causes. In 2006, when he was at his very best, he only managed a 2 half centuries in South Africa.
See scoring 80s, 70s in trying conditions against a good attack is a very good effort, but its very natural we will rate someone who scores a 150 in trying conditions against a good attack higher.

This current series is a great example. I can understand that Pakistan are fielding a very weak side, with very weak openers, but thats no excuse for Yousuf's failures. He failed miserably in the first test, when a greater player would perhaps have scored a century in the fourth innings and won the match, in this match, he should have gone on and scored a century when he had a start, but only managed 80 odd. Once again, thats a very good effort, but that wont make you a modern master, just a very good batsman.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Even among his team mates, wouldn't you rather pick Inzi (by quite some distance) and Younis first? Perhaps in that one year of 2006 it might be different.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Inzy>Yousuf>Younis

All that I mentioned above Yousuf, rings true for Younis aswell except that Yousuf perhaps managed more runs than Younis in favourable conditions

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Even among his team mates, wouldn't you rather pick Inzi (by quite some distance) and Younis first? Perhaps in that one year of 2006 it might be different.
this is he problem here, why in the world you would Younis over Yousuf? i have seen so many people saying this, just look at Yousuf's consistency over the years in both Tests and ODI's, it is far greater then Younis

Good batsman and one of my favorites to watch in full flow. He needs to do better against the best teams though-averages in the 20s against Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka. I am sure he'll improve it soon. For me, he's Pakistan's best batsman after Miandad.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Good batsman and one of my favorites to watch in full flow. He needs to do better against the best teams though-averages in the 20s against Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka. I am sure he'll improve it soon. For me, he's Pakistan's best batsman after Miandad.
not 20's really, he averages almost 34 against australia and around 30 both against south africa and sri lanka, i agree that this not his best but again i am looking from a point of view of average, i am looking at how many times he has saved pakistan's butt. also his technique is such a delight to watch

not 20's really, he averages almost 34 against australia and around 30 both against south africa and sri lanka, i agree that this not his best but again i am looking from a point of view of average, i am looking at how many times he has saved pakistan's butt. also his technique is such a delight to watch
29.60 against Australia
29.75 against South Africa
29.00 against Sri Lanka

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Inzy>Yousuf>Younis

All that I mentioned above Yousuf, rings true for Younis aswell except that Yousuf perhaps managed more runs than Younis in favourable conditions
Agreed. Pakistan became much less interesting after Inzy and Anwar retired.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think he's better than Younis, who's definitely a tad over rated. I don't think anyone over rates Yousuf, except perhaps himself. Read an article the other day about how he was on a talk show and claimed that he was the best Pakistani batsman ever. No modesty on display there.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think he's better than Younis, who's definitely a tad over rated. I don't think anyone over rates Yousuf, except perhaps himself. Read an article the other day about how he was on a talk show and claimed that he was the best Pakistani batsman ever. No modesty on display there.
Should send him a cool story bro postcard methinks.

AaronK

State Regular
I don't think he is better than inzi and he gets rated where he is often times..

All time best Pakistan batsman and even slightly better than jawid maindad.. is Inzi..

personally perferance i would pick him over kallis (purely as a batsman), Dravid but not over ponting, SRT, Lara and afew other once..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll rate Yousuf as something other than a decent middle-of-the-road Test batsman when he actually scores some really tough runs on a regular basis.

Unitil then I don't care how many times he bashes a weak attack on a lifeless deck - no such innings is worth any more than the previous one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would say he's comfortably several classes above him myself TBH. Though he's comfortably several classes above all bar a tiny minority so that's no disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.