• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's talk cover drives

0RI0N

State 12th Man
We all know that the cover drive is one of the most beautiful cricket shots.Technical excellence mixed with panache and elegance are what we are talking about.
So which players would you pay to watch play that shot.
The usual suspects from 1990
M Waugh, Mahela, VVS, D Martyn,
Lara,Vaughan, S Fleming,Atapattu S Anwar, amongst others.
Martyn's placement,minimal footwork and outstanding hand eye co-ordination
Lara's huge extravagant execution
OR
Mahela and Vaughan's classical from the MMC textbook variety?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can't look past Tendulkar's. Highest ball speed off the bat to effort ratio. He doesn't seem to play it very often, but when he does, its orgasmic.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geoff Marsh.

Got some late 90's footage of Sachin which is sensational though.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Why isn't he up there?
b.c he isn't as good as other guys like Vaughn. I have seen him get out and several occasions on those shots.

Point is, it's not his best shot.

P.S. I remember one. When last time Pakistan toured India, Sohail Tanwir got him from round the stumps. He was on like 33 runs of something.

Just my opinion bud.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim McIntosh. Hit consecutive beautiful cover drives in that innings of 20 off about 160 last week. Was so out of the blue it impressed me more than any other cover drives ever have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
b.c he isn't as good as other guys like Vaughn. I have seen him get out and several occasions on those shots.

:huh: Way to miss the point. The point is not "whose best shot is the cover-drive", nor "who is most likely to get it right when attempting the cover-drive" (and BTW I'd be FAR more confident in Tendulkar to do that than Vaughan). It's "whose cover-drive do you like the look of best". That's purely based on personal preference, there's no right and wrong.

And of those mentioned Damien Martyn was great off the back-foot but the fact that he basically didn't play a front-foot shot (like so many WAns he didn't really move his feet at all) precludes him for me as I enjoy the stroke off the front-foot more than back.

My faves have tended to be mostly mentioned already: Atapattu, Aravinda de Silva, Sangakkara (he can even make it look good off back-foot), Hussain, Tendulkar, Vaughan, Kallis, Gower, Saeed Anwar... probably some others I've missed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Sachin has plenty of shots that aren't his best shot, doesn't mean when he plays those shots it isn't attractive to watch. His best shot is the flick off the pads, which he is pretty much the best at. That doesn't make his cover drive, straight drive, uppercut over third man still awesome.

Sachin has a very attractive cover drive.

Hussey when he was in peak form could play a cover drive as technically perfect as you could get, though it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as one played by Vaughan or Kallis.

Sanga's worth a mention.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What do you prefer then?

Apart from the flick through mid-wicket and maybe the pull I can't think of a shot I prefer see played well than the cover-drive.