Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Crowe's idea

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well of course, but you only get two incorrect referrals, which if they run out and you get wrong decisions, you get biased accusations instead. Or if an umpire is having a horrible innings, and let's say he gives four decisions, two are overturned and two aren't, and then he has a couple more bad ones.

In sport, it is vitally important to avoid impropriety, and almost as important, to avoid the appearance of impropriety. There are no advantages to having umpires stand in home Tests. None. I'd rather have ten other mediocre umpires in the elite panel if the workload is too high than have a biased umpire.
    When I was growing up with home umpires I couldn't stand the australian umpires. So quick to give our batsman out. Now with neutral umpires I can't blame the umpires any more.
    Definitely Crowe's idea would help with the problem - but I would sooner make Rudi travel for 50 hours.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Exactly. It doesn't matter if its true, if people think it is, it could be just as damaging to the game. It's why even talking abou the weather to bookies is so frowned upon - it's about the appearance of impropriety as much as it is about the actual crime itself. Sport has to be seen to be neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hell, I am hardly rabid if but it were two Australians standing in the Sydney Test, would I have wondered? More than wondered I think.

Downside: Alienating millions of fans, creating random controversies or making them worse.
    Upside: Rudi doesn't have to travel 50 hours.

Sorry Rudi, we'll give you some comp time instead.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 05-12-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Why? No way.

Why would you introduce something with very little upside and a whole lot of crappy downsides? Umpiring controversies of the recent past not enough? The Sydney fiasco would be maginfied ten times if the umpires were Australian.
    I agree. Once the 2 appeals are used up, what if the "home" umpire makes a mistake then? Could lead to all those nasty acrimonious tours of the 1980s repeating.

The only benefit is to the sanity of umpires who wouldn't have to travel the world to get to umpire (could see Peter Willey back at the test match level, for example?)
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I agree. Once the 2 appeals are used up, what if the "home" umpire makes a mistake then? Could lead to all those nasty acrimonious tours of the 1980s repeating.

The only benefit is to the sanity of umpires who wouldn't have to travel the world to get to umpire (could see Peter Willey back at the test match level, for example?)
    I think people forget how bad it got from time to time in the 80s, and why the whole neutral umpire thing was introduced in the first place?

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I think people forget how bad it got from time to time in the 80s, and why the whole neutral umpire thing was introduced in the first place?
    I think people tend to remember the Shakoor Rana thing as a one off, but it was a worldwide problem. The English umpires were generally better than most, but I can remember issues in every country who was playing test cricket at the time.

I definatly didn't see cricket in the 80's, don't remember much of the 90's, nor did I understand cricket that well at that stage, how does the umpiring now, compare to then, even in the early part of this decade when we had one home umpire per Test? I'm sure that is what Crowe wants, and it only being the best umpires, so Taufel to umpire in Australia, but not somebody like Bruce Oxenford or even Daryl Harper.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Toufell is BASTERERERD!!!
    orz

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Toufell is BASTERERERD!!!

With SS on this one.

The elite panel are well paid enough for them to travel.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Umpiring mistakes are most of the time, genuine human errors while at other times, they is possibly an element of patriotism involved. Two test matches, both involving Pakistan (sorry ) come to mind, Pakistan vs Australia at Hobart in 99 and Pakistan vs West Indies in Antigua in 2000. The "errors" were so blatent and in your face, that you cant even give the umpire the benefit of doubt. Having been the unfortunate spectator in both those two matches, I have become strongly opposed to home umpires. I am sure most umpires are honest enough to not let patriotism cloud their judgment, but at this level, things should be so transparent that no one can raise an issue other than that of human error. So, no I dont support Martin Crowe on this, no home umpires! I hope we dont revert to home umpires with the new referral system now. Referral is here to correct human errors, why go back and create more chances "mistakes"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There is an easy answer to that. If players are making appeals to decisions that are clearly out (like Sammy in Adelaide this morning) and are just wasting time, then fine the player 15% of his match fee. That will stop them pretty quickly.
    and how are you going to decide that? I mean everyone is going to argue that they genuinely believe it was clearly not out or vice versa.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 05-12-2009 at 06:05 AM.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I definatly didn't see cricket in the 80's, don't remember much of the 90's, nor did I understand cricket that well at that stage, how does the umpiring now, compare to then, even in the early part of this decade when we had one home umpire per Test? I'm sure that is what Crowe wants, and it only being the best umpires, so Taufel to umpire in Australia, but not somebody like Bruce Oxenford or even Daryl Harper.
    Taufel can umpire any other nation besides Australia. That's pretty good, who cares about just Australia? If the best umpire is English, then the Australians will get his services from time to time.

He won't be the best umpire anymore, in the eyes of many fans, if he does umpire Australia and a few decisions go in favor of Australia and against their team. That'd be unfair to cricket, and to Taufel as well.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Completely behind SS on this.

International 12th Man
    If travel fatigue is a problem among umpires, then find other ways of umpiring ODIs.
    Using highly trained circus animals at the non-home umpire end or audience voting come to mind as two possibilities that might make that format more entertaining and solve a bigger problem that ODIs seem to now have.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Seriously, how many times is someone going to say "now we've got <insert new thing> we can bring back home Umpires!"?

FFS, get over it commenters-of-renown.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information