• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

O'Brien to retire after Pakistan series

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Can understand his decision and - unlike blokes like Jesse Ryder and Brendon McCullum - O'Brilliant has eked every bit of his ability out of his body and converted it into effort on the field. Just proof that hard work can get you a long way in this world.

Flem274*

123/5
Harsh on Ryder there if you're talking on field performance. Thats where Ryder's character is at its best.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh on Ryder there if you're talking on field performance. Thats where Ryder's character is at its best.
How is it harsh? His whole game is dependent on the work he puts in off the field. And considering he's put on about 30kg of pure blubber since his under-19 days, and spends all weekend drinking (inbetween playing club cricket), it's safe to say he's barely touched the surface of what he's ultimately capable of.

Flem274*

123/5
How is it harsh? His whole game is dependent on the work he puts in off the field. And considering he's put on about 30kg of pure blubber since his under-19 days, and spends all weekend drinking (inbetween playing club cricket), it's safe to say he's barely touched the surface of what he's ultimately capable of.
He did have a ridiculous run of 50+ test scores culminating in a double hundred vs India.

Hasn't put a foot wrong in tests in terms of results. Losing weight would help his bowling probably, doesnt seem to affect his batting or fielding.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ah well, if you're happy with him not reaching all his potential, good on you.

I hope you become a primary school teacher, and start coaching netball, making sure not to keep the score, because we can't have the little bastards striving to be successful in sports, can we? :p

Flem274*

123/5

I hope you become a primary school teacher, and start coaching netball, making sure not to keep the score, because we can't have the little bastards striving to be successful in sports, can we? :p
Lol overreaction much?

Here's Ryder's record: Jesse Ryder | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Looks good to me. Plus he's a good fielder and useful bowler.

If he lost weight then theoretically he could get quicker with the ball but overall I think he's a raging success at international level on the field.

Presumably he's stopped drinking, remember getting a text from Athers at 1am one night saying he saw Jesse and he turned down a beer. He has worked pretty hard since his indiscretion after the England series, though there have been some slip ups but those were hardly surprising. Overall he's improving and certainly his on field performance doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as McCullums shot selection.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Presumably he's stopped drinking,
Actually, no he hasn't. He was drinking on Friday night, yet another party at his house.

He has worked pretty hard since his indiscretion
He might be putting in some groundwork such as the nets, but he's still a drunken buffoon with a massive attitude problem.

DingDong

State Captain

kids having fun is the only thing primary teachers or netball coaches should ever worry about.

Flem274*

123/5
Actually, no he hasn't. He was drinking on Friday night, yet another party at his house.

He might be putting in some groundwork such as the nets, but he's still a drunken buffoon with a massive attitude problem.
Hmm.

Tbh I don't care if he's a dickhead as long as he scores runs. He will have to reign in the attitude though so he doesnt get constant one match bans for swearing at management or whatever.

His match record so far is excellent so I'm not worried it will affect him when he's in the team environment. Its when he gets injured that he's likely to break into another toilet.

Craig

World Traveller
I have to say I changed my mind on O'Brien pretty quickly. I thought he was rubbish, and then he started bowling well, and then I realised I was an idiot, and O'Brien is indeed O'Brilliant.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He's certainly come along in leaps and bounds. When I first saw him bowl it reminded me of an uncoordinated person trying to do the butterfly stroke on dry land. I think the turning point was the Dunedin test vs Bangladesh, in the second innings when he looked pretty darn good, and just got better from then on in.

He may not have spectacular stats but if you wanted a player with big heart and a never-say-die attitude, you'd have someone like O'Brien.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He was having a Sunday session at the Southern Cross today, on the table next to us in the garden bar - was working his way relatively quickly through jugs of beer with a few mates. One of the guys I was drinking with yelled out as O'Brilliant left, thanking him for his efforts. IOB said "well, this is awkward" but also said "thanks for that"...

Worst. Story. Ever.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, he certainly improved from when I first saw him (his debut) to his AUS series in 08/09. For instance, he got wickets with far more frequency and hurried up some of our batsmen with effort balls, rather than being mere cannon fodder. I gotta say this; the guy tried and performed with credit during a difficult time for NZ. They will probably miss him.