Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Which is harder ? Century or 5 wicket haul.

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • The century

6 17.14%
  • 5 wicket haul

29 82.86%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is harder - a 5 wicket haul or a 100 ?

Banned

What is harder - a 5 wicket haul or a 100 ?

Assuming fair pitch, fair umpires etc.

I would go for the 100 because the minimum number of balls needed for a 100 is 17 whereas the minimum number of balls needed for a five wicket haul is 5

State Vice-Captain
    Nowadays, a fifer is much harder. In the 80s or 90s it might be roughly even.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    A five wicket haul is much tougher easily.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Ofcourse a 5 wicket haul...............................especially these days when everything is being desigined keeping in mind the batsman...!!!!
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Banned
    I mentioned in my first post that assume fair pitch, fair umpires etc. Obviously on a flat track, a century is easier. A 5 year old could tell us that.

Stastically a 5 wicket haul should be tougher but I think its a century. Especially considering the amount of tail-enders you can pick.

ret
    Voted for 5 for

Usually,
    - In good batting conditions, a team usually goes 450/7 dec
    - In good bowling conditions, other bowlers are picking up wkts too so it becomes difficult to pick a 5 for
    - Run outs decrease the possibility of the wkts going in to bowlers' names

getting a 100 usually depends up on the batsmen (except when he gets a bad one from the umpire or the captain declares when he is on 99) .... but for getting wkts a bowler has to depend up on factors like fielder taking a catch

Lastly 5/10 is difficult than 100 out of whatever
    Last edited by ret; 04-12-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Fastest gun in town

Statistically, a 5 wicket haul is the tougher task. It works out to the bowler contributing 50% to the teams performance in the innings. A batsman would need to make much more than 100 runs to contribute to 50% of the runs scored by the team (assuming the average team score per innings is greater than 200, which I imagine it is).

Practically a century could be said to be tougher imo. One ball to get the batsman out vs multiple chances for the bowler and all that jazz.

However that is compensated for by the fact that the bowler competes with his teammates for wickets, while a batsman need not compete with his teammates for runs. So yeah, I'm undecided.

What does the all time 5 for list look like? I guess Murali leads?
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 04-12-2009 at 01:28 PM.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    Voted for 5 for

Usually,
    - In good batting conditions, a team usually goes 450/7 dec
    - In good bowling conditions, other bowlers are picking up wkts too so it becomes difficult to pick a 5 for
    - Run outs decrease the possibility of the wkts going in to bowlers' names

getting a 100 usually depends up on the batsmen (except when he gets a bad one from the umpire or the captain declares when he is on 99) .... but for getting wkts a bowler has to depend up on factors like fielder taking a catch

Lastly 5/10 is difficult than 100 out of whatever
    I fully support that...... 5 for much tougher and involves more factors which aren't in bowler's control...... For example.... Salman Butt fumbling a sitter 5 times, before dropping it.....if i was Asif i would respectfully ask Butt to remove his helmet and punch him in the face...!

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Nowadays, a fifer is much harder. In the 80s or 90s it might be roughly even.
    This.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    With all being equal there's no way anyone can say which is harder. Pitch offering a bit to whatever type of bowler you are but not too much, good-quality Umpiring, good-quality fielding, strong support for batsman or weak support for bowler (the two are equivalent as the weaker your fellow batsmen the harder scoring big runs is and the stronger your fellow bowlers the harder taking a big bag is), etc. etc. by definition = decent chance for either.

All depends on who bowls well or bats well on the day. Kinda a pointless question for me.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

In Test history there have been approximately four centuries to every three 5fers. (3321:2467)
    If I'd had to have made a guess before looking it up I would've estimated that it was closer to 2:1 originally.
    Just thought I'd drop that in here for no particular reason

Edit : Only supporting what has already been said in this thread but in the last 10 years there have been 947 centuries to 517 five wicket hauls. Much closer to my 2:1 estimate.

In the last 4 years (slightly before I started following Test cricket really) there have been 350 centuries and only 171 5fers. Exceeding by 2:1 estimate and much higher than the all time ratio.
    Last edited by Marcuss; 04-12-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    In Test history there have been approximately four centuries to every three 5fers. (3321:2467)
    If I'd had to have made a guess before looking it up I would've estimated that it was closer to 2:1 originally.
    Just thought I'd drop that in here for no particular reason

Edit : Only supporting what has already been said in this thread but in the last 10 years there have been 947 centuries to 517 five wicket hauls. Much closer to my 2:1 estimate.

In the last 4 years (slightly before I started following Test cricket really) there have been 350 centuries and only 171 5fers. Exceeding by 2:1 estimate and much higher than the all time ratio.
    It is hard to argue with stats like this. My initial instinct was to vote for the century being harder however. It just seems to me that you might get lucky with a couple of wickets - and then all of a sudden you are bowling to the tail where if you do your job properly you might end up with three quick wickets to complete your 5 wicket bag. Just seems like you can be in the right place at the right time and end up with a 5 wicket bag. But with a century your luck will run out on 70 or 80 if you aren't a good player.

But it is hard to argue with the stats above.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Oh and BTW:

IRRELEVANT OPTIONS FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    I know which one is harder for me and it is definitely not the 5-for.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information