• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Select THREE middle order batsmen: Best of 00s

Select THREE middle order batsmen for theteamm of the decade

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
3 runs? Much better?

I know who I'd rather have on my team.
Closer to 4 (47 to 51) and much better away from home than Tendulkar. Was only poor overall against 1 opponent whereas Tendulkar was poor against several. Not even that close.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Closer to 4 (47 to 51) and much better away from home than Tendulkar. Was only poor overall against 1 opponent whereas Tendulkar was poor against several. Not even that close.
So what? Playing at home doesn't count? Anyway, 4 runs is not a big deal either. You can pick whoever you like, I'll take Tendulkar on my team anyday.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So what? Playing at home doesn't count? Anyway, 4 runs is not a big deal either. You can pick whoever you like, I'll take Tendulkar on my team anyday.
They had similar success at home, it is away where there is a huge discrepancy. I just didn't expect someone who is usually coldly aware of the facts to lean towards a player who is clearly not in the top rung in this decade.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They had similar success at home, it is away where there is a huge discrepancy. I just didn't expect someone who is usually coldly aware of the facts to lean towards a player who is clearly not in the top rung in this decade.
He is in the top run this decade, but I'd agree with you, in terms of performances purely in this decade, Dravid has the edge over Tendulkar IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff has taken 3 5 wicket hauls in that time and hasn't scored a Test Century since August 2005.
Yes because of injury. Since its pretty clear than Flintoff after long injury lay-offs took a while to get his batting flowing again. While his bowling from ball one was on target.

Kallis is easily good enough to walk into this side as a batsman alone,
IMO not over Ponting, Dravid, Lara in this deacde.

his bowling is an added bonus. Whereas neither of Flintoff's disciplines are strong enough on their own to warrant selection.
Please give me a series performance as an where Kallis as an all-rounder was better than Flintoff in Ashes 05 or IND 05/06??

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes because of injury. Since its pretty clear than Flintoff after long injury lay-offs took a while to get his batting flowing again. While his bowling from ball one was on target.
So what's Flintoff's lack of 5 fors attributed to?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So what's Flintoff's lack of 5 fors attributed to?
The 2 big reason why Fred has taken more 5 wicket hauls since he became test quality in Bridgetown 04 are:

- Outside Ashes 05, Flintoff has regularly had to act not only as England main attacking option. But as the main defensive bowler, when the situation gets out of hand. Since the balance of ENGs bowling attack due to injuries & lack of quality support, hasn't allowed Freddie to be used in short sharp bursts.

- Secondly, as Ian Chappell rightlfully highlighted in Ashes 06/07. His whole career is a bit like Ambrose in AUS 92/93 before the Perth performance. Freddie natural lenght is back of lenght & just outside off, he doesn't bowl full which at times affects his ability to take big hauls in test matches.

But in ODIs, such a line & lenghts have proven to be perfect for him though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
- Secondly, as Ian Chappell rightlfully highlighted in Ashes 06/07. His whole career is a bit like Ambrose in AUS 92/93 before the Perth performance. Freddie natural lenght is back of lenght & just outside off, he doesn't bowl full which at times affects his ability to take big hauls in test matches.
Being able to bowl in the right areas is a huge part of bowling ability.

Flintoff's back of a length bowling might cause batsmen unease, but it doesn't take wickets.

Even at his 2003-06 peak, his figures were good as opposed to exceptional.

bagapath

International Captain
this is the first time dravid is in contention for a slot in the teams we have selected in all these years; deservingly, i must add.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Being able to bowl in the right areas is a huge part of bowling ability.

Flintoff's back of a length bowling might cause batsmen unease, but it doesn't take wickets.
The back of lenght bowling as said was a result of him having to adapt to being ENGs only bowler who could keep the runs down. While also being our main attacking bowler, given the lack of quality around him.

As i said in the Ashes when Vaughan could have used as strike bowler like how Akhtar, Steyn etc are used, you know the result.

GingerFurball said:
Even at his 2003-06 peak, his figures were good as opposed to exceptional.
Injuries didn't help. Plus in 2003 he wasn't much of bowler yet, his peak began when he took his first 5 wicket haul in Bridgetown 04.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The back of lenght bowling as said was a result of him having to adapt to being ENGs only bowler who could keep the runs down. While also being our main attacking bowler, given the lack of quality around him.

As i said in the Ashes when Vaughan could have used as strike bowler like how Akhtar, Steyn etc are used, you know the result.

Injuries didn't help. Plus in 2003 he wasn't much of bowler yet, his peak began when he took his first 5 wicket haul in Bridgetown 04.
He had a good tour of Sri Lanka, and I don't remember Flintoff being injured much in that period.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He had a good tour of Sri Lanka, and I don't remember Flintoff being injured much in that period.
I'd say from IND 01 to SRI 03 or Trinidad 04. Flintoff could pass as a test bowler, he was what Watson was for AUS right now with ball. He gave us a useful option as 5th bowler, nothing more.

His batting vs SA 03, is what took off that year.

Last edited:

Quaggas

State Captain
Picked Gilchrist because he always made me reach for the brown pants when still at the crease, and for beer when he got out.

bagapath

International Captain
ponting and lara are in. dravid and kallis are tied.

gonna keep both their names in the last poll and lets see who gets in