• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ricky Ponting a better batsman than Brian Lara?

Ricky Ponting vs Lara

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
And Lara, other than that one brilliant series in 2001 against Murali, didn't exactly demolish Murali either. And another thing is Lara's away record - it's funny but somehow most his great innings have come at home. His away average is in the mid 40s if I am not much mistaken.
Err his away average is a touch under 48, which is only about 2-3 runs lower than Ponting so nice try.

Honestly, if you don't think that he demolished Murali in SL, I am not sure what you were watching. Many have suggested that there has never been a player who managed to tame Murali at home in the manner in which he did in 2001. Lara's record against the 2 greatest spinners of the modern era in Murali and Warne speaks for itself IMO, there is not really anything that needs to be said regarding that subject as both of them have marveled at one point or another about his ability against spin.

And when it comes to pace, Ponting is far superior. Ponting has played guys like Donald and Wasim in a way Lara never managed to.
A big LOL at 'dominated Donald and Wasim'. FTR, Ponting averages in the low 30s against SA whilst Donald was around and despite only really playing Akram well after his prime, his 4 innings against him have yielded 3 ducks and a 197. I am sorry, but that is hardly 'dominating'.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Err his away average is a touch under 48, which is only about 2-3 runs lower than Ponting so nice try.

Honestly, if you don't think that he demolished Murali in SL, I am not sure what you were watching. Many have suggested that there has never been a player who managed to tame Murali at home in the manner in which he did in 2001. Lara's record against the 2 greatest spinners of the modern era in Murali and Warne speaks for itself IMO, there is not really anything that needs to be said regarding that subject as both of them have marveled at one point or another about his ability against spin.

A big LOL at 'dominated Donald and Wasim'. FTR, Ponting averages in the low 30s against SA whilst Donald was around and despite only really playing Akram well after his prime, his 4 innings against him have yielded 3 0s and a 197. I am sorry, but that is hardly 'dominating'.
immaterial to the correctness or otherwise of you points here, people starting their posts with "err" as a rude noise of derision is a massive pet hate. There are a few repeat offenders on CW and tbh, I'd vote for permabans if it was a regular abuser.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
immaterial to the correctness or otherwise of you points here, people starting their posts with "err" as a rude noise of derision is a massive pet hate. There are a few repeat offenders on CW and tbh, I'd vote for permabans if it was a regular abuser.
Haha, I just amused myself. I was going to link you to an old post of TEC's that I thought would fit in well in reply to that but when I found it I realised it was you he quoted when he said it the first time. :laugh:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/1435046-post4015.html

A big LOL at 'dominated Donald and Wasim'. FTR, Ponting averages in the low 30s against SA whilst Donald was around and despite only really playing Akram well after his prime, his 4 innings against him have yielded 3 ducks and a 197. I am sorry, but that is hardly 'dominating'.
In Australia - Ponting 60.87 Lara 41.97
In England - Ponting 44.10 Lara 48.76
In India - Ponting 20.86 Lara 33
In New Zealand - Ponting 97.66 Lara 36.90
In Pakistan- Ponting 119 Lara 48.15
In South Africa - Ponting 54.18 Lara 46.72
In Sri Lanka - Ponting 54.45 Lara 100.85
In West Indies - Ponting 78 Lara 58.65

If we take anything >50 as success, Ponting has succeeded in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan,South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. For Lara, it's only Sri Lanka and West Indies. Nice try indeed!!!

Firstly, I never said 'dominated'. Don't put words in my mouth. But scoring 197 against Wasim isn't good enough for you, is it ? Lara could only score his first 100 after Wasim retired, I wonder what you'd say to that. Speaking of Donald, wonder why Lara never scored a century when he was around and Ponting did?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I consider only 5-6 players in the greatest ever league who could battle against the best in the toughest of conditions and I have a very high standard for it. Would be people like Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Lara, Gavaskar and the like. They are in their own league and Ponting is a rung below imo. He is definitely consistent like you say but the likes of Ponting, Dravid while they are great batsmen, are not among the greatest ever where I am concerned. Nothing wrong with them, just that the greatest are that much more greater.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't hold Ponting's record in India against him mind. I think he is a fine player of spin bowling.

tooextracool

International Coach
The context with which it was used in that last post was to express confusion over the statement made rather than to belittle the poster for making it. If the poster himself had taken offense to that, I would obviously have no problems curbing it but I don't think he has so it seems irrelevant and certainly in the grand scope of things that go on here at CW it probably is.

Maximus0723

State Regular
I consider only 5-6 players in the greatest ever league who could battle against the best in the toughest of conditions and I have a very high standard for it. Would be people like Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Lara, Gavaskar and the like. They are in their own league and Ponting is a rung below imo. He is definitely consistent like you say but the likes of Ponting, Dravid while they are great batsmen, are not among the greatest ever where I am concerned. Nothing wrong with them, just that the greatest are that much more greater.
but whyyyyyyyyyyyy

you haven't provided a reason except the reason that you are biased.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The greatest are more talented, more skilled, to put it simply.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
In Australia - Ponting 60.87 Lara 41.97
In England - Ponting 44.10 Lara 48.76
In India - Ponting 20.86 Lara 33
In New Zealand - Ponting 97.66 Lara 36.90
In Pakistan- Ponting 119 Lara 48.15
In South Africa - Ponting 54.18 Lara 46.72
In Sri Lanka - Ponting 54.45 Lara 100.85
In West Indies - Ponting 78 Lara 58.65

If we take anything >50 as success, Ponting has succeeded in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan,South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. For Lara, it's only Sri Lanka and West Indies. Nice try indeed!!!
These are largely irrelevant considering that the 2 of them played in somewhat different eras, with Lara having played most of his career in the 90s on more seasoned bowler friendly pitches, not to mention different bowlers in the 90s than Ponting has in this decade. For example, Lara playing against the likes of Wasim, Waqar Mushtaq Ahmed ,Pollock (in his prime) and Donald is hardly comparable to Ponting's record in the 2000s against what was far inferior bowling.

Firstly, I never said 'dominated'. Don't put words in my mouth. But scoring 197 against Wasim isn't good enough for you, is it ? Lara could only score his first 100 after Wasim retired, I wonder what you'd say to that. Speaking of Donald, wonder why Lara never scored a century when he was around and Ponting did?
My apologies, you did not actually say that. But the point is, that Ponting's record against Donald and Wasim is ordinary, I am not sure how it backs your claim that Ponting was far superior to Lara.

And scoring 197 was great, but he failed miserably in 3 other innings and this is against Akram who was having a nightmare down under and was far from his prime. Again it doesnt prove anything. Maybe if Ponting was in his prime back then he may have scored more than he did, but there is simply no evidence of this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting has played something like 6 series in India and SL and has failed in all but one of them, the one of them being back when Murali wasn't even in his prime.
How was Murali not in his prime when Ponting faced him in SRI 99 & 04?. Before the 99 series, Murali a year earlier had just produced this spell @ the Oval 98.

While in 2004 Ponting was out of form.

I've watched Ponting against spin and if the word mediocre doesn't come to mind, I cant think of anything else. Just doesnt have the technique or a clue how to handle the turning ball IMO.
Clearly you didn't watch the tour to IND 08 then.

FTR Lara>Ponting for me.