• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Leaders. Game of Cricket *Request for Info or Help*

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I had a meeting with the former US Ambassador to Bangladesh today (to give the source of the story rather than to namedrop) and the conversation got around to two of my favorite topics, cricket and Zimbabwe.

He told me the story of when he was in Zimbabwe in 91 during the Commonwealth Conference that there was a game of cricket that a number of the Heads of Government (including John Major) and High Commisioners played in as a celebration of the game and the bonds between the Commonwealth nations (Mugabe watched but did not play but he thought some WI leaders, amongst others, were involved).

I was suprised that I had not heard of this. Sounded like an interesting and very newsworthy event. So I have googled and all I can find is the odd quote from Major about the event

John Major said:
At the Commonwealth Conference in Harare in 1991, we held a
cricket match. I opened the batting at the Wanderers Ground
with Bob Hawke, then Prime Minister of Australia. The ground
was overflowing but, to prevent swollen heads among the
politicians, it was made clear to us that the spectators had come
to see their local hero, Graeme Hick. To them – and how wise
they were – cricket mattered a good deal more than politics!
Our time on that pitch revealed some national characteristics:
Hawke stole the bowling unmercifully and when – after 10
Overs – we were ushered off the pitch to – and I quote the
Umpire – “make way for the real cricketers”, I asked Bob if
he’d known we were only due to have a brief time at the wicket.
Looking – only a little shifty – he replied: “Jeez, yes, John,
didn’t I tell you?”. Believe me, the Aussies are tough
competitors – on and off the cricket field.
So my questions are, do any of our more senior posters recall this event? Has anyone read books that mention the event? Does anyone have any further information?

Do we know (or can we find out) which leaders played? Do any photos exist? etc

Im interested in finding out more about this game (as it sounds pretty unique) and if people have info or want to have a dig around then that would be great.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I guess I will have to wait for someone from Cricinfo to read this and write an article on it :p