• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Learie Constantine and WWII

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And we were quick to drop Duleep after the SA tourists complained about his presence in the 1st test in 1929.
What sheer cheek. Imagine marching into someone else's country and projecting your prejudices onto the selection of their sporting teams.

All the same I've often wondered what pre-Apartheid South Africa was really like for those of colour.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What sheer cheek. Imagine marching into someone else's country and projecting your prejudices onto the selection of their sporting teams.

All the same I've often wondered what pre-Apartheid South Africa was really like for those of colour.
They did the same during a rugby tour of NZ, apparently 'disgusted' at having to pay against Maoris in one of the games.

As for pre-1948 SA: not fun, I would imagine. But yes, it would be interesting to find out. I've always assumed that the election simply put into statute what was going on anyway. Or at least what was the over-riding attitude of white SA towards those of colour.