Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learie Constantine and WWII

Fair Point . KOed here.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    They all were gentlemen of the ruling classes, yes, but their selections were entirely on cricketing merit and their race doesn't seem to have been an insurmountable barrier to achieving sporting success for England. When compared to other English sports cricket was relatively quick to embrace non-white players.

Not claiming those who govern (the MCC, essentially) have been perfect in this field, far from it. The D'Oliveira affair is the most infamous example of selectorial prevarication, but it's also worth noting that Subba Row was never selected to tour SA either.
    And we were quick to drop Duleep after the SA tourists complained about his presence in the 1st test in 1929. And Ranji didn't go there in the early 20th century although, tbf, there may have been other reasons why an amateur didn't want to tour in those days.

But yes, given attitudes at the time, our selections of Ranj & Duleep were astonishingly enlightened.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    CB Llewellyn played 15 times for South Africa between 1896 and 1912 and was of mixed race and the only non-white (I'm pretty sure - doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong) to be selected before 1992 - his skin colour was on the pale side, which doubtless eased the situation but his being mixed race wasn't a secret so it just goes to show that in those days if you were good enough they'd find a way to select you

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    CB Llewellyn played 15 times for South Africa between 1896 and 1912 and was of mixed race and the only non-white (I'm pretty sure - doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong) to be selected before 1992 - his skin colour was on the pale side, which doubtless eased the situation but his being mixed race wasn't a secret so it just goes to show that in those days if you were good enough they'd find a way to select you
    Here he is

Charlie Llewellyn | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Looks distinctly on the pale side in this picture, although not sufficiently so to avoid being treated appallingly by some of the rest of the SA cricketers iirc. I'd imagine he wouldn't have been remotely considered if black or Asian.

Interestingly, there was controversy over whether or not he was even of mixed race. His daughter seemed to think not, judging by the piece below which si pinched from another article on cricinfo ...

Patrick Allen's assertion that Lllewellyn was South Africa's first coloured cricketer was hotly disputed. In the same year it was published (1976), Llewellyn's own daughter, then still alive and resident in England, in a letter published in The Cricketer, refuted all claims that her father had been coloured, pointing out that both her parents and grandparents had been of "pure British stock". This disclaimer was also featured in Brian Crowley's book Cricket's Exiles and in several articles published in The Cricketer and elsewhere down the years.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 05-12-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    South Africa's participation in international cricket has been bedevilled by racism and the political intervention of governments virtually from the beginning. In 1894 the formidable coloured fast bowler, H. 'Krom' Hendricks, was nominated for the first South African team to tour England but was finally omitted, at the behest of Cecil Rhodes, the Cape Prime Minister, on grounds of race.
    Hendricks was of Malayan extraction - Walter Read who captained the English side in South Africa in 1891/92 thought he was the best bowler in the country

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    And we were quick to drop Duleep after the SA tourists complained about his presence in the 1st test in 1929.
    What sheer cheek. Imagine marching into someone else's country and projecting your prejudices onto the selection of their sporting teams.

All the same I've often wondered what pre-Apartheid South Africa was really like for those of colour.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What sheer cheek. Imagine marching into someone else's country and projecting your prejudices onto the selection of their sporting teams.

All the same I've often wondered what pre-Apartheid South Africa was really like for those of colour.
    They did the same during a rugby tour of NZ, apparently 'disgusted' at having to pay against Maoris in one of the games.

As for pre-1948 SA: not fun, I would imagine. But yes, it would be interesting to find out. I've always assumed that the election simply put into statute what was going on anyway. Or at least what was the over-riding attitude of white SA towards those of colour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information