cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Playing Selector: Team of the decade - the 00s

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    no ikki. murali is THE bowler of the decade. any team of the 00s without him would be a joke.
    No, Warne was just as good; so was McGrath. The issue is not that he was one of the best bowlers but of team balance. The fact is we already have a spinner his equal yet we don't have a very strong opening ball partnership. We don't have a pacer that bowls more than 140kph consistently in this team. Two spinners are overkill - especially two who bowl so much.
    Last edited by Ikki; 24-12-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    ★★★★★

i would have preferred flintoff in place of kallis for the same reason. having both warne and murali will definitely be useful. you cant possibly replace them with a better fast bowler. shoaib, steyn or anyone else wont win as many matches as murali (granted that warne was the first choice spinner). i would rather give up the 20 odd runs that kallis would score more than flintoff in return for fintoff's pace. having said that, this is just a theoretical problem. mcgrath, pollock, warne, murali and kallis would be more than sufficient to bowl out the opposition on any sort of wicket.
    Last edited by bagapath; 24-12-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Have we done a 90s one before?
    not really. but we have covered that decade many times though. wont be too interesting. thinking of an all-time one day XI sometime. we selected an all time world cup XI two years ago. for all one dayers we can expect some interesting discussions.

Cricket Champion!
    Debatable really. Pollock was far from a great pacer this decade; take a closer look at his record. At best he should be the first change-up but as half of the opening pair this team of the decade is really lacking. Flintoff would have been a better choice, provided we assume he is bowling at his peak. The only real strong opening pair a team of this decade could have would be McGrath with either Akhtar or Steyn. Without such an opening pair, I'd say this decade's XI pitted against other all-time XIs will struggle.

Final XI

Matthew Hayden
    Virender Sehwag
    Ricky Ponting (C)
    Brian Lara
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist (wk)
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath

Good job, guys
    Sorry if I missed the criterium somewhere, but how does Lara qualify for the 00's but Tendulkar not
    Flintoff for a batsman, Kallis at 5 is luxurious to say the very least

Quote Originally Posted by bryce View Post
    Sorry if I missed the criterium somewhere, but how does Lara qualify for the 00's but Tendulkar not
    Flintoff for a batsman, Kallis at 5 is luxurious to say the very least
    we had polls mate and the majority, myself included, voted for lara but not sachin. both were available for selection though

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Debatable really. Pollock was far from a great pacer this decade; take a closer look at his record. At best he should be the first change-up but as half of the opening pair this team of the decade is really lacking. Flintoff would have been a better choice, provided we assume he is bowling at his peak. The only real strong opening pair a team of this decade could have would be McGrath with either Akhtar or Steyn. Without such an opening pair, I'd say this decade's XI pitted against other all-time XIs will struggle.
    the bowling attack i voted for was mcgrath, akhthar, warne, murali and flintoff. we ended up with pollock and kallis in place of shoiab and freddie. it is still very much there and thereabouts. not far from the best combo one can imagine. but in terms of accuracy, might well be the ideal combination possible.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    i would have preferred flintoff in place of kallis for the same reason. having both warne and murali will definitely be useful. you cant possibly replace them with a better fast bowler. shoaib, steyn or anyone else wont win as many matches as murali (granted that warne was the first choice spinner). i would rather give up the 20 odd runs that kallis would score more than flintoff in return for fintoff's pace. having said that, this is just a theoretical problem. mcgrath, pollock, warne, murali and kallis would be more than sufficient to bowl out the opposition on any sort of wicket.
    Really? I'm not even sure Flintoff's a better bowler than Kallis. I guess it depends whether you take his peak or his whole career.

We know how you feel about the big man though

Yeah leaving Kallis out of a team of the 00s for "balance reasons" would be beyond a joke IMO.

Flintoff was not good enough with bat or ball to be picked and so did not. Kallis has been a very good bowler for this decade so is acceptable at first change, especially when you have Warne and Murali in your team and two workhorse-like bowlers in McGrath and Pollock.

Pollock was the second best fast bowler of the decade and alongside McGrath would put a lot of pressure on any batting lineup. They would strangle the runs and if they didn't take wickets at least wouldn't go for many.

guys... i am pretty happy with the team... including kallis..... just stating how else we could have made the pace attack "faster"... at no cost would i want to drop murali. flintoff for kallis or akhthar for pollock is fine by me. but murali belongs in the XI. that is my pointl.

A team of the decade in a decade where there were 2 outstanding spinners and only 1 outstanding pace bowler was always going to be spin heavy.
    ​IF I CAN SHOOT RABBITS THEN I CAN SHOOT FASCISTS

Final XI

Matthew Hayden
    Virender Sehwag
    Ricky Ponting (C)
    Brian Lara
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist (wk)
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath

Good job, guys
    Not a lot to argue with here, good stuff running this bagapath.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    A team of the decade in a decade where there were 2 outstanding spinners and only 1 outstanding pace bowler was always going to be spin heavy.
    When they are that good it does not really matter if it is spin heavy, just imagine them bowling in tandem. Both were automatic selections.

Would have liked to have Steyn (especially) or Akhtar but you cannot really deny that Pollock deserves his spot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information