Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: Playing Selector: Team of the decade - the 00s

  1. #31
    rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Holland
    Posts
    26,434
    Code:
    Matthew Hayden
    Virender Sehwag
    Ricky Ponting
    Brian Lara
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist +
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath
    bolded are those who made the 1986-2005 XI.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

    I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

    -jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

  2. #32
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Code:
    Matthew Hayden
    Virender Sehwag
    Ricky Ponting
    Brian Lara
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist +
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath
    bolded are those who made the 1986-2005 XI.

    If we were to select that first team all over again, sehwag is likely to replace anwar. but imran, tendulkar and ambrose would comfortably hold their places against kallis, dravid and pollock.

  3. #33
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,203
    I went Kallis, Flintoff, Murali for the last three spots. Purely for the reason that Dravid over Flintoff leaves the team without a real fast bowling "punch" factor which teams of earlier eras have.

    No slagging of Dravid there - really love the guy as a Test batsman, but I just thought the pace attack of McGrath, Pollock, Flintoff and Kallis with Murali and Warne in there is a really fine, balanced attack. With Dravid in for Fred, we have a less-than-ideal pace attack imo.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  4. #34
    Evil Scotsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    away from here
    Posts
    31,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I went Kallis, Flintoff, Murali for the last three spots. Purely for the reason that Dravid over Flintoff leaves the team without a real fast bowling "punch" factor which teams of earlier eras have.

    No slagging of Dravid there - really love the guy as a Test batsman, but I just thought the pace attack of McGrath, Pollock, Flintoff and Kallis with Murali and Warne in there is a really fine, balanced attack. With Dravid in for Fred, we have a less-than-ideal pace attack imo.
    That's the fault of those who picked Pollock over Shoaib or Steyn.


  5. #35
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,203
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    That's the fault of those who picked Pollock over Shoaib or Steyn.
    No it's not. Shoaib's 50-50 at best in terms of fitness and availability, as well as giving a toss. Steyn's been here about 2 years. Pollock's a better bowler than either of the other two at this stage (pending Steyn's long-term accomplishments).

  6. #36
    International Regular JBH001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I went Kallis, Flintoff, Murali for the last three spots. Purely for the reason that Dravid over Flintoff leaves the team without a real fast bowling "punch" factor which teams of earlier eras have.
    This was my reasoning too.

  7. #37
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    Then why pick Murali at all? Yes, he IS one of the best bowlers of the decade but when you already have Warne he is really over-kill. Steyn would be much more preferable, or even Flintoff, for the sake of team balance or "bite".
    ★★★★★

  8. #38
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No it's not. Shoaib's 50-50 at best in terms of fitness and availability, as well as giving a toss. Steyn's been here about 2 years. Pollock's a better bowler than either of the other two at this stage (pending Steyn's long-term accomplishments).
    Flintoff's closer enough to 50-50 than 100-0 to make that a moot point, surely?

  9. #39
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Then why pick Murali at all? Yes, he IS one of the best bowlers of the decade .
    no ikki. murali is THE bowler of the decade. any team of the 00s without him would be a joke.

  10. #40
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    The last poll, to select the skipper, is on:

    Select the skipper: Best of 00s

  11. #41
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    Final XI

    Matthew Hayden
    Virender Sehwag
    Ricky Ponting (C)
    Brian Lara
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Adam Gilchrist (wk)
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath


    Good job, guys

  12. #42
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Would not argue with that team one bit.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  13. #43
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    a 90s line up would most probably have looked like (based on CW's voting patterns)

    Anwar
    Taylor (C)
    Lara
    Tendulkar
    S.Waugh
    Cairns
    Healy (WK)
    Akram
    Warne
    Ambrose
    Donald

    This has a superior pace attack for sure. But the 00s team has much better late-middle order batting, with Kallis at 6 and Gilchrist at 7. Ultimately Gilly's presence could prove to be the difference between the teams. I would have voted for De Silva ahead of Cairns as the Wasim/Warne/Ambrose/Donald combo is enough to take on any batting line up from history. The Sri Lankan Mad Max could make the already strong middle order close to invincible and match the team from the present decade.
    Last edited by bagapath; 23-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.

  14. #44
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Have we done a 90s one before?

    It'd be cool to compare them.

    Biggest differences would likely be Sachin, Steve Waugh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar and Wasim all possible in the 90s.

    The 2000s would have Murali, Gilly and more depth in batting... but could it deal with the 90s bowling attack?

    Interesting stuff.

  15. #45
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Have we done a 90s one before?

    It'd be cool to compare them.

    Biggest differences would likely be Sachin, Steve Waugh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar and Wasim all possible in the 90s.

    The 2000s would have Murali, Gilly and more depth in batting... but could it deal with the 90s bowling attack?

    Interesting stuff.
    didnt know there were two of them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Non Test Playing Nations (Fresh Thread)
    By laksh_01 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM
  2. The best minnow basher of this decade
    By Shri in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
  3. Playing Eleven!!!!
    By Naumaan in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 03:16 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
  5. Best of the non test playing countries XI
    By Migara in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •