• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector: Team of the decade - the 00s

bagapath

International Captain
Good work - hope you're going to write up an article and submit it to James for inclusion on the front page. "With the end of the decade drawing near for all but the mathematically pedantic, we asked the CW community to nominate their team of the decade via a series of polls..." ;)
cant write to save my life mate....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol. would still have Lara at 4 and Dravid at 5. I think the game breaking players should always bat higher up when possible.. And Ponting is solid enough at 3 in most conditions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AWTA. Would rather a more "grinding" opener to open with Hayden and would have loved a more attacking fast bowler in there ahead of Murali. But I agree that these are probably the best players for the decade.
Not sure about the opener but do agree about the second fast bowler. That is why I voted for Akhtar ahead of Pollock..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slightly different from my 00s banlist, which had Lara and Warne on 90s duty:

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Dravid
Sangakkara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Pollock
Steyn
Murali
McGrath

Only real point of contention is Sehwag over Smith.
Agree, I rate Sehwag, but Smith > Sehwag for me

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree, I rate Sehwag, but Smith > Sehwag for me
I wonder if a captaincy poll should be included with all the big captains of the 00s.

Options Like

Smith to captain replacing Hayden
Smith to captain replacing Sehwag
Ponting
Fleming to captain replacing Ponting
Fleming etc.

Because I think captaincy can be extremely important to the team dynamic and should be treated differently to solely best batsman best bowler. Sometimes you just need the best captain first.

bagapath

International Captain
no athlai. we will select a team and then select one from within the team to lead them all.

also, i will only nominate players who have led their teams at least once in tests. if people want to vote for a wild card they can write down the name in thge thread and refrain from using the poll.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wonder if a captaincy poll should be included with all the big captains of the 00s.

Options Like

Smith to captain replacing Hayden
Smith to captain replacing Sehwag
Ponting
Fleming to captain replacing Ponting
Fleming etc.

Because I think captaincy can be extremely important to the team dynamic and should be treated differently to solely best batsman best bowler. Sometimes you just need the best captain first.
Michael Vaughan then...:ph34r:

Anyway. The team is a joke given that Flintoff, officially one of the top 50 cricketers of all-time, isn't in there :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Code:
[B]Matthew Hayden[/B]
Virender Sehwag
[B]Ricky Ponting[/B]
[B]Brian Lara[/B]
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
[B]Adam Gilchrist[/B] +
Shaun Pollock
[B]Shane Warne[/B]
[B]Mutthiah Muralitharan[/B]
[B]Glenn Mcgrath[/B]
bolded are those who made the 1986-2005 XI.

bagapath

International Captain
Code:
[B]Matthew Hayden[/B]
Virender Sehwag
[B]Ricky Ponting[/B]
[B]Brian Lara[/B]
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
[B]Adam Gilchrist[/B] +
Shaun Pollock
[B]Shane Warne[/B]
[B]Mutthiah Muralitharan[/B]
[B]Glenn Mcgrath[/B]
bolded are those who made the 1986-2005 XI.

If we were to select that first team all over again, sehwag is likely to replace anwar. but imran, tendulkar and ambrose would comfortably hold their places against kallis, dravid and pollock.

Burgey

I went Kallis, Flintoff, Murali for the last three spots. Purely for the reason that Dravid over Flintoff leaves the team without a real fast bowling "punch" factor which teams of earlier eras have.

No slagging of Dravid there - really love the guy as a Test batsman, but I just thought the pace attack of McGrath, Pollock, Flintoff and Kallis with Murali and Warne in there is a really fine, balanced attack. With Dravid in for Fred, we have a less-than-ideal pace attack imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I went Kallis, Flintoff, Murali for the last three spots. Purely for the reason that Dravid over Flintoff leaves the team without a real fast bowling "punch" factor which teams of earlier eras have.

No slagging of Dravid there - really love the guy as a Test batsman, but I just thought the pace attack of McGrath, Pollock, Flintoff and Kallis with Murali and Warne in there is a really fine, balanced attack. With Dravid in for Fred, we have a less-than-ideal pace attack imo.
That's the fault of those who picked Pollock over Shoaib or Steyn.

Burgey

That's the fault of those who picked Pollock over Shoaib or Steyn.
No it's not. Shoaib's 50-50 at best in terms of fitness and availability, as well as giving a toss. Steyn's been here about 2 years. Pollock's a better bowler than either of the other two at this stage (pending Steyn's long-term accomplishments).

JBH001

International Regular
This was my reasoning too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Then why pick Murali at all? Yes, he IS one of the best bowlers of the decade but when you already have Warne he is really over-kill. Steyn would be much more preferable, or even Flintoff, for the sake of team balance or "bite".

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No it's not. Shoaib's 50-50 at best in terms of fitness and availability, as well as giving a toss. Steyn's been here about 2 years. Pollock's a better bowler than either of the other two at this stage (pending Steyn's long-term accomplishments).
Flintoff's closer enough to 50-50 than 100-0 to make that a moot point, surely?