• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening to Murali?

bagapath

International Captain
Fair enough if you disagree, but what was wrong with the tone?
he writes about murali struggling in the current series. briefly touches on his once dominant days. praises mcgrath and warne for timing their retirements well. dwelves on murali's controversial action. says but he is a nice guy who could bowl good line and length. and lists the batsmen who dominated him. and that is it. is that all he could write about the greatest match winner in history? i think roebuck can do a much better job than this. may be he is saving it up for murali's retirement.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's not really tone, but content.

And yeah I'm sure there will be a humdinger of an article by Roebuck, among many others, when Murali retires.

They'll all mention Warne.
They'll all mention his action and Hair.

But at the end of the day they'll talk about his test wickets record and his match-winning abilities.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't agree with any criticism of Murali, but I do think it's time for him to go. He's not suddenly become a bad bowler but it's mildly depressing watching such an absolute legend of the game be so unthreatening.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think it has alot to do with the pitches TBH, having watch a fair bit of the first two tests. In past discussions in oh so wonderful "Warne vs Murali thread" these pitches seem to VERY similar to the ones Murali bowled in on the tour in 97 to IND.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Article seems like Roebuck at his least ****ish, tbh. Anno Domini is the one opponent who bests every cricketer in the end.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This piece by Roebuck does not surprise me.. I expected a few calls like that on Murali's career after his poor performance in this series and over the last 1 year in general. Infact I read another article after the first test on cricinfo which talked about his unflattering statistics over the last 1 year or more.

Roebuck is right to an extent, Murali have over bowled himself. Being part of the Sri Lankan side meant he had to frequently bowl over 40-50 overs per innings especially when up against a solid batting line up. His poor performance is definitely due to fatigue and fitness problems.

Another factor is, with the technology available, many batsmen have worked him out now. Even England smashed him all over the park in the Champions Trophy.

Maybe what he should do is, retire from ODIs, and play test cricket for 2 more years and try to get as many wickerts as possible.

bagapath

International Captain
That's not really tone, but content.
i know. but he has chosen to write what he has written because he has assumed a sort of dismissive tone about murali's achievements. may be he will write a crackerjack tribute later. roebuck's farewell piece on ganguly was awesome.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, I can't stand Roebuck, but he gets his job done. More of his articles provoke debate here than any other writer's. He's the master of making a statement controversial enough to cause some minor outrage but not so controversial as to make everyone immediately write him of as a bull**** artist.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Maybe what he should do is, retire from ODIs, and play test cricket for 2 more years and try to get as many wickerts as possible.

Think SL only play like 5 tests in that time. Otherwise I think he might do that. He's admitted SL won't play enough tests before he's 40 for him to get to 1000 wickets. Quite sad really.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
he is on a clear decline and needs to retire soon, which he is properly planning to do...that's what is happening to him...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, to my mind Murali has been clearly not the bowler he once was since the start of the 2007/08 season. He has still achieved the odd notable match in that time but whenever I've seen him he's simply spun the ball far, far less - and the massive spin has always been the trademark Murali and so much of what made him such a magnificent bowler.

I think the last time we saw the Murali we all know and most love was that 2006/07 tour of New Zealand. Anything from then on I won't be assessing him on come the end of his career.

Sir Alex

Banned
I think he is just getting old. He is a champion bloke. Unfortunately he has come across the most difficult opponent for spin bowlers at a worst time. Had it been England or South Africa, I am fairly confident he would have taken enough wickets to prevent such articles from cropping up.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Does it even matter? As long as he is enjoying his cricket and good enough to play for Sri Lanka he should play.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not convinced by this age thing - the bulk of Clarrie Grimmett's career came after he was 37 and if he's injury free I can't see Murali being finished - I wonder if he just needs a few months off ..................... followed by another summer at Old Trafford

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, to my mind Murali has been clearly not the bowler he once was since the start of the 2007/08 season. He has still achieved the odd notable match in that time but whenever I've seen him he's simply spun the ball far, far less - and the massive spin has always been the trademark Murali and so much of what made him such a magnificent bowler.

I think the last time we saw the Murali we all know and most love was that 2006/07 tour of New Zealand. Anything from then on I won't be assessing him on come the end of his career.
Dont agree, when ENG toured SRI in 07/08 Murali was spinning it big, plus up to last year when IND toured SRI he was spinning it big. As i mentioned before i just think these surfaces have been absoulte roads, its the second time in Murali's career he has toured IND (see 97) & played on such lifeless wickets.

Overall i dont think he has lost his ability, reckon he would spin out ENG if played us 2moro. But given the amount of overs he has bowled for SRI. His body & fingers are probably wearing out.

Sir Alex

Banned
Dont agree, when ENG toured SRI in 07/08 Murali was spinning it big, plus up to last year when IND toured SRI he was spinning it big. As i mentioned before i just think these surfaces have been absoulte roads, its the second time in Murali's career he has toured IND (see 97) & played on such lifeless wickets.

Overall i dont think he has lost his ability, reckon he would spin out ENG if played us 2moro. But given the amount of overs he has bowled for SRI. His body & fingers are probably wearing out.
In 2008 series against India, Murali was not spinning great as he used to. He benefited from some lower order wickets as well thanks to Mendis.