• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar vs. Virender Sehwag

Who is better?

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anwar by a distance. Sehwag needs to score a hundred againts quality pace attack in testing condtions before he can walk in Anwar's shoes.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anwar by a distance. Sehwag needs to score a hundred againts quality pace attack in testing condtions before he can walk in Anwar's shoes.
Second dig in Adelaide a couple of years back? Pitch was playing some serious tricks by day 4 and 5.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag. Loved Anwar's style but Sehwag the better performer.
Sehwag wouldn't have average 50 in the 90s, although he probably would have been fixture for IND still. But Anwar would maintain & probably would have averaged 50 in this 2000s era.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Second dig in Adelaide a couple of years back? Pitch was playing some serious tricks by day 4 and 5.
A very good innings, given that he showed great mental strenght after being recalled after being drop for the whole series. But another batting friendly pitch, IND where never under seriouspressure to lose that test, although they had a mild second innings hiccup.

Sehwag is a better batsman. Anwar didn't manage an average of 50 in the 1990s, well short from memory. Sehwag has done well against pretty much everyone he has faced. Simply put he has played more and done more than Anwar in tests. An average of 50 with a SR of 80 is not something you can scoff at, not to mention he is the only batsman other than Brian Lara and Sir Bradman to score two triples.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Sehwag's the best batsman in the world when on song, but dire when not. Anwar seems to have more consistently (plus played in a tougher era :ph34r:), but I'd still go Sehwag.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Anwar was just phenomenal in tests against the Aussies but awful against RSA and the Windies. Was also just good and not great against England. Can't really decide if he was good against pace bowling or not with that sort of a record tbh.

Imo, he is more comparable to VVS Laxman rather than Sehwag. Two completely different types of players. Sehwag is all about reflexes and hand eye co-ordination but Anwar liked to time the ball and find gaps with orthodox strokes. Anwar was way better than Sehwag in ODIs though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'll take Sehwag thanks. Reckon he is underrated on these boards. Simply put; if he is on song, the other team can forget about winning the match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha it wasn't a green wicket hence it was flat :lol:

The ball was turning square on day 1!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That was a flat pitch ?
Yea. IND first innings was the only innings of the series where the AUS pace trio had to toil for wickets in a series where they owned INDs top order.

The way how Dizzy/Martyn partnership stood up proves how the pitch had flattened out, since the quick turn that was present on day 1 when Kumble spun through AUS was gone.

But my argument againts Sehwag is that he has never scored a hundred againts a quality pace attack in testing/bowling friendly conditions in tests. I'm holding him to the same criteria to which Hayden was judged, so until he scores a hundred in such conditions he still very much has the FTB over his head.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anwar was just phenomenal in tests against the Aussies but awful against RSA and the Windies. Was also just good and not great against England. Can't really decide if he was good against pace bowling or not with that sort of a record tbh..
I never saw him bat in tests vs ENG, SA & WI. But i tend to think not so high average vs those sides is more a statistical oddity than anything concrete. Since i saw him in those 6 test vs AUS in the late 90s (home & away) & he was excellent. No real technical flaw againts the quicks, other than MAYBE his favourite cut shot was tried to be used as a weakness, since AUS would use two gully's to try & get him out caught.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How can it be an oddity for 3 different sides?

Surely the one good result out of 4 would be the oddity?