• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar vs. Virender Sehwag

Who is better?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: On a pitch where he came in at 4/68 on the first morning.

I see where he is going with this though. Sehwag scored a century, so the attack automatically becomes average and the pitch flat.
Sehwag is Hayden, aussie is Rich and I claim my £10.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hayward, Pollock, Ntini, Kallis, Klusener. Interesting definition of average.
Yep. Pollock was the only quality bowler in 2001.

Ntini hadn't peaked yet, his peak came until 2005.

Hayward was always wayward. Never test quality.

Klusener was passed his peak as bowler in tests, he was bowling off-cutters from a short run up in 2001.

Kallis was still decent yea, but IMO he was in a bit of decline as bowler by the end of 2001. He wasn't bowling 90 mph, Kallis last truly great test bowling performaces vs WI 2001, spefically this test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag played at a S/R of 57. Hardly smoking them. It was a gritty inning by Sehwag's standards.

Hoggard was in top form and wasn't spraying it. He got Dravid and Jaffer (0) out cheaply and also got Ganguly.
Firstly If you followed the career of the ENG pace attack you would know that likes of Hoggard, Harmo, Freddie did not PEAK as bowlers until WI 2004. Before then they always where average/poor.

Secondly as i said i did swing on that first morning. But the ENG bowlers did not have the ability to trouble Sehwag technically with deliveries that swing into his pad like what AUS did in 2004, SA in 06/07 & 08/09 & ENG 05/06, WI @ Kingston 06 (although it wasn't a good attack, but it was the bowler friendly deck & the WI exposed his technical flaw).

Hoggard & Cork are outswing bowlers in 2002. If you remember when Hoggard learnt to inswing the ball later in his career, he had Sehwag in all sorts of problems in 05/06

If ever Sehwag showed he could play swing bowling, it was in this inning.
See above.

Pratters said:
Every time Sehwag scores, it is an average attack or a flat wicket. Very general words. You are just talking crap.
Yes unfortunately that has been the story of his career so far. Still waiting for that innings.

Sanz said:
Not as an opener, I guess.
Oh yes exactly. So that innings shouldn't count.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So Sehwag can

a) Handle tough swinging conditions
b) Play outswingers but not inswingers

At least you admit he can play one type of swing bowling.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hayward was a pretty fine bowler in patches. Always rated him and thought he had a lot of potential.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Very predictable.
Lets be clear it shouldn't count in consideration for performances as an opener. Just like how judging Ricky Ponting as great batsman, runs he scored before Headingley 2001 when he used to bat @ # 6 cant be considered.

But as i've explained clearly the SA attack Sehwag faced on his debut was not great nor was the conditions bowler friendly. You can read the cricinfo reprots of that test in detail if you wish.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had a couple of wickets by the time Sehwag got to the crease that day too.

According to Wisden:

"The pitch, relaid not many months earlier, was liberally grassed. It was not fast but initially provided bounce and lateral movement. By the fourth day, it became awkward, developing a mosaic of wide cracks at one end."

Flat track. Obv.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But as i've explained clearly the SA attack Sehwag faced on his debut was not great nor was the conditions bowler friendly. You can read the cricinfo reprots of that test in detail if you wish.
LOL. See above.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So Sehwag can

a) Handle tough swinging conditions
Not, he has failed in more swiging conditions than he has succeded in as i showed before.

b) Play outswingers but not inswingers

At least you admit he can play one type of swing bowling.
No. He handled Hoggard & Cork's English style of outswing bowling where they usually pitch it wide & swing it away on that morning. They didn't start it on middle of off-stump & make it swing late, thus making the batsman play.

Steyn did that to Sehwag in 2006/07 & 08/09 & he struggled. While Hoggard in 05/06 when he was at his peak & had better control over his outswingers exposed him.

Uppercut said:
A test attack with Hayward in it was always a much more intimidating proposition than one without.
Yes i agree intially Hayward looked menacing. But he quickly fell of, just like Mohammad Sami. He was crap by the end of 2001 vs IND & when he toured AUS by the end of that year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LOL. See above.
That very was the case intially on day one. But the scorecards shows a different story.

I saw highlights of the Sehwag/Tendy partnership on sky earlier this year when AUS toured SA & i saw nothing but a flat deck.

That partnership is similar to the Tendy/Azharuddin partnership vs SA in Capetown 96/97. Now that was testing pitch & a very good bowling attack.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Day one was when Sehwag scored the century!

:wallbash:
So, as i said the highlights i saw of that partnership which covered Sehwag's entire innings i saw no seam movement, plus it was a average SA attack. Plus as i said that innings cant be considered when looking at record as opener.

Plus it is very possible that any probable movement that was their would have been less when he got the crease & probably decreased rapidly as the day & test progressed. This is not strange in tests see AUS & ENGs respective first innings in Barbados 98 & 99.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Does Aussie know Anwar's record outside Asia isn't particularly great (high 30s) and he never played a test match in the Caribbean?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Does Aussie know Anwar's record outside Asia isn't particularly great (high 30s) and he never played a test match in the Caribbean?
Yea but that doesn't mean much IMO, if you take the stats in proper context. At his peak he did very well scoring hundreds in AUS & SA. Plus him not playing a test in WI is clearly because in 92/93 wasn't in the team. Not sure why he didn't play in 99/00, one of PAK fans will have to say.