• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afghanistan V Ireland

Top Of Non-Test Playing Nations Clash?

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
We have seen a meteoric rise of Afghanistan within a year & the team is becoming better & better with every match they play keeping a lot of other nations to shame & giving Ireland a threat for their Associate crown. While classy Ireland apply for Test status having already beaten giants such as Pakistan & has topped Zimbabwe in ICC ODI table but also had been a latest victim for Afghanistan's aggression. Which team do u think is & could be better in the coming years & for Test Status? :starwars:

Afghanistan's Achievements:
2006: Defeated MCC in Mumbai
2007: Winners of ACC Twenty20 Cup
2008: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 5 in Jersey
2008: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 4 in Tanzania
2009: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 3 in Argentina
2009: Achieved Odi status by finishing 5th in 2009 ICC CWCQs
2009: Draw against Zimbabwe A in Zimbabwe in their first Intercontinental Cup Match
2009: Winners against Netherlands in Netherlands in both Intercontinental Cup & Odi Series
2009: Qualifies for U/19 Cricket World Cup

Ireland's Achievements:
2005 - 2008: Winners of all 3 Intercontinental Cups
2005: Qualifies to Cricket World Cup for the first time by finishing 2nd in 2005 ICC CWCQS
2006 - 2008: Winners of 2 European Div 1 Titles
2007: Finished 7th in ICC Cricket World Cup also defeating Pakistan & Bangladesh
2008: Winners of ICC World T20 Qualifiers at home
2008: Winners against Kenya in Odi Series at home & away
2009: Reached super 8 of ICC World T20 also defeating Bangladesh & running close to Sri Lanka
2009: Winners against Kenya once again at home & raised above Zimbabwe in Odi ranks
2009: Qualifies to 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup in India by
winning 2009 ICC CWCQs
2009: Applies for Test Status

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe out, make Shakib play for England and bring both Ireland and Afghanistan in.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe out, make Shakib play for England and bring both Ireland and Afghanistan in.
I feel Bangladesh have shown signs of imp since 2007 Cricket World Cup. It would be really sad if they are expelled now. Zimbabwe on the other hand have got their domestic structure back in place & are getting back on track. Its not necessary to expel a country in order to get others in.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Whats the use of having them as test nations if they never play test series that are of considerable length. They mostly get 2 test series and that too not very frequently. It isn't helping anybody. If the test schedule is changed to give all teams more and equal matches, I have no problems with every team staying in and teams being added. The current system sucks.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
I know current series have become very boring with no proper goal set.

A proper Test Championship every 4 Years should make test cricket more meaningful. for example:

Tournament:
ICC Test Championship 2012 - 2016

Rules:

Test Tiers: Each tour shouldn't be more or less than 3 test matches & 5 Odis for any nation home & away basis.
IC Cup or Tier C: Each tour shouldn't be more or less than 1 First Class match & 3 Odis for any nation home & away basis.

As per Current ranking:
Tier A:
1) South Africa
2) Sri Lanka
3) India
4) Australia
5) England
6) Pakistan

Tier B:
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10) Zimbabwe
11) Ireland
12) Afghanistan

Intercontinental Cup or Tier C:
13) Canada
14) The Netherlands
15) Kenya
16) Scotland
17) Namibia
18) Uganda

Lets say if it ends this way:
Tier 1 Qualification: New Zealand must play 3 Test Match Series against Pakistan at home & away.
Tier 2 Qualification: IC Cup winner must play 3 Test Match Series against Afghanistan at home & away.
IC Cup or Tier C Qualification: Top 4 Teams from Cricket World Cup Qualifiers & 2 teams random ICC pick.

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
And that's fair on NZ, WI and Bangladesh how?

As for getting rid of 5 Test series, why?

On New Zealand & West Indies:
Let me ask U one thing can u bet on NZL or Windies topping the present Test table even 10 Years from now? I say hell no. Its better to play in 2nd Tier & help them selves as well as others to improve than just make the numbers in Tier 1. Another advantage is that being in Tier 2 a team can set them self a target to reach Tier 1 & creat a hunger for it. Where as the bottom team of Tier 1 also have the threat of being relegated to Tier 2 as New Zealand & West Indies are capable of pulling them back.

On 5 test series: Dude lets accept it. Other games are getting faster & better with lots of youngsters showing interest in them. I love Test cricket too but too much is too bad. Short, competitive & quality series makes fans ask for more, hence generating more interest than playing 5 Test Series, 7 Odis creating player burn out & testing fan's patience. Cricket shouldn't look boring anymore by playing too much of it. Game has to change with changing environment or it will perish.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Laksh, I don't want you to take this personally and I've got no idea what vested interest you have in Associate cricket, but I think you kind of need to have a look at the bigger picture. The Associate sides, especially in the longer form of the game, are all still miles short of the likes of New Zealand and the West Indies. No amount of creating divisions (which would wreck the reputation of cricket in NZ, West Indies and Bangladesh) will solve this. Plus trying to make international cricket, particularly Tests, correspond to a set formula would be ignorant to the spirit, character and nature of the game. Plus it's widely acknowledged that the longer a Test series is between two competitive sides, the more absorbing it is.

I have an interest in Bangladeshi cricket and will write about it in length. But I won't deny the realities of them still being a substandard Test side. I get the impression you're seeking to elevate the Associates well beyond their actual standards.