cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This review system could be death to bowlers.

This review system could be death to bowlers.

The review will only consider wkt to wkt video for LBW. The ball must be in line with the wicket. If it's not, no need to look at the projected path.In both review cases yesterday ball would have hit the stumps (Asif's inswinging balls) but the decision was turned over because last frame when ball hit the pad was not infront of the wkt.Batsman all over the world will have a look at this and make a concentrated effort that as long as they are outside the line of the wicket they will be safe.

Mccullum LBW yesterday which was reversed would be given 7/10 times by the onfield umpite imo..Also 25 frames per second means tha the 3rd umpire had to freeze the frame before the ball hit Mccullum pad this is another drawback I feel.

Still sitting on the fence with it, the game is so much batting dominated if this keeps happening continously it could be another nail in the coffin for the bowlers.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Can see Vettori getting a lot more wickets with it actually.

And that first LBW reviewed yesterday was only JUST clipping the top of the stumps so was a pretty good decision IMO. The McCullum one was marginal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Banned
    I think the law says while attemtpting a shot if the pad is outside line of stumps then it invalidates the lbw appeal. So I think it was a fair decision in the end. I like this system It is better to avoid repeats of Sydeny 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Can see Vettori getting a lot more wickets with it actually.

And that first LBW reviewed yesterday was only JUST clipping the top of the stumps so was a pretty good decision IMO. The McCullum one was marginal.
    First one was a good one but if the second one would have given not many eyebrows would have been raised since rules only allow third umpire to overturn decision if a clear mistake was made .I think this review could be really damaging for a seamer who brings it in as batsmans are now aware that as long as they are outside the line no damage can happen.

In todays world of batting roads anything that is against the interests of seam bowlers I am hugely against it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    You're forgetting that it helps bowlers as well though. It's just as likely for an umpire to think that a batsman edged it for an lbw appeal when he didn't, or that a batsman didn't nick it behind when he did, both of which the referral system could help. I imagine it'll probably even out in the long run between batsmen and bowlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    You're forgetting that it helps bowlers as well though. It's just as likely for an umpire to think that a batsman edged it for an lbw appeal when he didn't, or that a batsman didn't nick it behind when he did, both of which the referral system could help. I imagine it'll probably even out in the long run between batsmen and bowlers.
    Hopefully it happens infact as Athlai pointed it could really help a spinner especially on a turning track, however my gripe is that an in inswinger/offcutter bowler could really loose his effectivness due to this as batsman are now aware as long as they keep their pad outside the line they are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Hopefully it happens infact as Athlai pointed it could really help a spinner especially on a turning track, however my gripe is that an in inswinger/offcutter bowler could really loose his effectivness due to this as batsman are now aware as long as they keep their pad outside the line they are safe.
    That's always been the case with the lbw law though.

Banned
    The review will only consider wkt to wkt video for LBW. The ball must be in line with the wicket. If it's not, no need to look at the projected path.In both review cases yesterday ball would have hit the stumps (Asif's inswinging balls) but the decision was turned over because last frame when ball hit the pad was not infront of the wkt.Batsman all over the world will have a look at this and make a concentrated effort that as long as they are outside the line of the wicket they will be safe.

Mccullum LBW yesterday which was reversed would be given 7/10 times by the onfield umpite imo..Also 25 frames per second means tha the 3rd umpire had to freeze the frame before the ball hit Mccullum pad this is another drawback I feel.

Still sitting on the fence with it, the game is so much batting dominated if this keeps happening continously it could be another nail in the coffin for the bowlers.
    But bowlers can also use the review system to their advantage. There are so many occasions when the batsman doesn't walk after knicking one to the keeper.

Banned
    The review system should not be used because it is not implemented correctly. The run out referral leaves no doubt as to what is out and what is not but the review system relies on a team may only have 2 incorrect reviews per innings. What is the ICC problem with just saying to the thirs umpire that a highly inaccurate decision MUST be over ruled.

Some things I have notices creep in to the game over the years that I do not like:
    1)Batsmen do not walk. Fair enough they have careers at stake, but so do the bowlers.
    2)More recently (Sachin went out this way in his 175 vs Aus) I see teams break the stumps before the ball is actually in th ehands of the fielder/wickie i regard this as cheating to gain advantage in time. The rules are clear that the stumps must be broken with ball IN HAND and breaking the stumps in the movement that leads to catching the ball is highly suspicious.
    The ICC are getting it all wrong and yet again will bring something into the game thet destroys it. Either use technology 100% or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    But bowlers can also use the review system to their advantage. There are so many occasions when the batsman doesn't walk after knicking one to the keeper.
    Yeah that is an advantage.

One aspect that I enjoy of LBW's for some reason is that the marginal ones can go either way now all marginal decisions will go in batsman favour so that makes me a touch dissapointed.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    If I had a magic wand. I would make it that referrals can't be used by either team for lbws.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    In both review cases yesterday ball would have hit the stumps (Asif's inswinging balls) but the decision was turned over because last frame when ball hit the pad was not infront of the wkt.Batsman all over the world will have a look at this and make a concentrated effort that as long as they are outside the line of the wicket they will be safe.(
    I have not seen the incidents. Were the batsmen playing a shot at the ball?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I have not seen the incidents. Were the batsmen playing a shot at the ball?
    The McCullum one, he was hit just outside the line and was playing a shot. Was given out by Taufel but overturned on appeal. Was an example of the referral system working perfectly, as far as I can see. Unless I'm thinking of a different incident from Xuhaib.

I haven't seen the second one.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 25-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The McCullum one, he was hit just outside the line and was playing a shot. Was given out by Taufel but overturned on appeal. Was an example of the referral system working perfectly, as far as I can see. Unless I'm thinking of a different incident from Xuhaib.

I haven't seen the second one.
    Yeah, if that is the case then the rules are clear. It cannot be out. As you say, seems the decision was correct in the end.

If I recall correctly, that is the 3rd thing an umpire establishes before even considering if the ball would have hit the stumps. In order i) Was it a legit ball? (ie not a no-ball), ii) Did the ball pitch outside leg stump? iii) did the ball make contact with the batsman outside the line of offstump and the batsman was playing a shot? Only after these 3 conditions are met then the umpire should think about if it was hitting the stumps.
    Last edited by Goughy; 25-11-2009 at 11:25 AM.

I'm pretty indifferent to the review system, with only two incorrect referrals allowed per innings I don't think it'll be evenly applied, but I also think any change that means more use of technology is good for the game in the longer term.

I just hope that it means more correct decisions are reached. I suppose this will depend on the wording of the rule/law, but on our Windies tour we saw some erroneous decisions upheld because the replay couldn't prove definitively the standing umpire had made a mistake. I don't think technology current is ever going to be able to say right or wrong with 100% accuracy, but if it looks very much like an umpire is wrong I think the decision should be overturned.

I hope as well the 3rd umpire will look at the whole passage of play too. If a decision is referred to see if (say) the ball has pitched outside leg, hasn't on review but was a no-ball the standing official missed it stands to reason this information should be given to the ump even if it's outside the grounds of the original referral.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information