Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69

Thread: Test cricket shouldn't be so easy for batsmen

  1. #31
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,064
    Exactly. It's a general point on flat, dead pitches, and we moan about them as and when they come. You should dig up some of our posts from the West Indies-England series last year. Whether this pitch is as bad as it seems or not, there's no need for the Indian posters to take it as a personal attack on their country whenever it happens to be the location.

  2. #32
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    42,751
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Batting so strong that they can regularly post 400-600 runs at will, bowling not strong enough to take 20 wickets.
    Agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Agree that it happens everywhere bit disagree that it happens most to sub continent teams. It happens most to India because they have such a great batting lineup that whenever the pitch is flattish they make sure they score a whole heap. Ala Napier vs. NZ.
    Athlai the Sri Lanka in Pakistan series is another example.

  4. #34
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    42,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Athlai the Sri Lanka in Pakistan series is another example.
    Before the terrorist attack it was a bit of a run fest wasn't it? Could have something to do with climate as well.


  5. #35
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,525
    Poor little Sanz, what a victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #36
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    People complain about uncompetitive pitches where-ever and whenever they occur. I haven't been following this match in any detail, but I gather its a pretty lifeless pitch AND some pretty crappy bowling, and the old adage about not being able to judge which is the stronger factor holds true until we see how SL go when they bat.

    Can't say I've seen the OP post on this issue before, so don't know why you're questioning his motives.
    Complaining is fine, you say it and move on. But going on and on about it kinda shows that people are arguing more than the pitch. It is the regular BCCI are evil type argument, take a look at some of the posts, it is Glen Beckism. For example :- 'Test Cricket is in danger', 'Save test cricket', 'it is killing test cricket'

  7. #37
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Poor little Sanz, what a victim
    Victim ? Looks like I am a star here, everyone is jumping in and taking my name.

  8. #38
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Athlai is falling into the deep, dark chasm that is trying to reason with Sanz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    At least I am not abusing people like you did in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Hard to argue with that logic - especially in terms of its relevance to the discussion at hand.
    Ofcourse Uppercut was taking part in the debate.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    (Mis)Read your comment as pertaining to Athlai tbh. Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Complaining is fine, you say it and move on. But going on and on about it kinda shows that people are arguing more than the pitch. It is the regular BCCI are evil type argument, take a look at some of the posts, it is Glen Beckism. For example :- 'Test Cricket is in danger', 'Save test cricket', 'it is killing test cricket'
    You got all that from the below post?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecric View Post
    Watching the Ind/Sri series is really making me sick, runs should be valuable and cherished. After finishing the first day of a test match, the batting team shouldn't be looking at a first innings total of 600 plus runs because the day ended with the team on 417-2. The first three batsmen in a batting line-up shouldn't all score centuries. There is something I really love about boycott expressing how he felt when getting to 50 against a West Indies bowling attack, he really appreciate those runs 20 plus years later because he was actually doing something to get them - proving himself as a good batsman. Runs shouldn't be taken for granted like this, Tendulkar isn't even pass 30 runs at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if he made a century too and as a spectator thats not good. We should be on the edge for our favourite players at all times. Killing test cricket.
    He talked about the current series, noting that it was what he was watching at the moment. Reading that, it sounds like he's an Indian fan anyway.

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Ok everyone is complaining pitch is not good. But how can it be addressed? Grow grass on it? Surely that is not the way to go about if home advantage is to be applied. Then what else can be done? Flat tracks like these or raging dustbowls. Given the fact that the latter produces gritty and result oriented cricket, I prefer it.

  12. #42
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You got all that from the below post?
    From that post and from the comments in the official thread.

    He talked about the current series, noting that it was what he was watching at the moment. Reading that, it sounds like he's an Indian fan anyway.
    Yes and I find the notion that Indian batsmen didn't have to work for their runs and that was largely because of the pitch is really silly. That India ended up 417/2 on Day 1 was because of Sehwag's superb batting, some horrible bowling by SL bowlers and due to easy conditions.

    The argument that 'First 3 batsmen shouldn't make 100s' is even worse.

    Not to forget the fact that the guy then goes on to give an example of Boycott (of all the great batsmen) who played some of the super bores of all time especially against India.

  13. #43
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,122
    As I mentioned in the official tour thread, for me it's not that these scores happen at all, it's because, world-wide it's happening so often with the general flattening out of the pitches.

    I'd just like a bit of variety around the traps, rather than so many flat pitches being prepared to (seemingly) ensure matches get to day 5.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  14. #44
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Last time a test match was played @ Kanpur, it lasted 3 days and the pitch maker was criticized for preparing a so called dustbowl.

  15. #45
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,122
    Not sure if your comment is directed at mine or not mate, but as I noted in the tour thread, I haven't seen this game at all, nor are my comments there or here directed specifically at this match or indeed series.

    I see that a trend has developed whereby many pitches around the world are flattened out, and personally I don't think it's good for cricket in general. If the trend in world cricket was an over-abundance of raging green tops or raging turners I'd pretty much feel the same way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The man who revolutionised cricket
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  3. State Cricket (Season XIII-XIV)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 19-05-2008, 04:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •