• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket shouldn't be so easy for batsmen

Sir Alex

Banned
This is a phenomenon across all pitches in all countries today. It is not as if the subcontinent only has to take blame. Subcontinent teams have batsmen who are brilliant in home conditions and hence there will be more propensity for higher scores and hence draws in such grounds. And I think such high scoring draws mostly happen between India-Pakistan-Sri lanka. I don't see such tame draws being a regularity in matches involving other teams much.

Matt79

Global Moderator
When the complaint comes only when the matches are played in India/(and in Pakistan), it has to be said. 9 wickets fell for <300 runs, why are people comlaining that it is a featherbed ?
People complain about uncompetitive pitches where-ever and whenever they occur. I haven't been following this match in any detail, but I gather its a pretty lifeless pitch AND some pretty crappy bowling, and the old adage about not being able to judge which is the stronger factor holds true until we see how SL go when they bat.

Can't say I've seen the OP post on this issue before, so don't know why you're questioning his motives.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Batting so strong that they can regularly post 400-600 runs at will, bowling not strong enough to take 20 wickets.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is a phenomenon across all pitches in all countries today. It is not as if the subcontinent only has to take blame. Subcontinent teams have batsmen who are brilliant in home conditions and hence there will be more propensity for higher scores and hence draws in such grounds. And I think such high scoring draws mostly happen between India-Pakistan-Sri lanka. I don't see such tame draws being a regularity in matches involving other teams much.
Agree that it happens everywhere bit disagree that it happens most to sub continent teams. It happens most to India because they have such a great batting lineup that whenever the pitch is flattish they make sure they score a whole heap. Ala Napier vs. NZ.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. It's a general point on flat, dead pitches, and we moan about them as and when they come. You should dig up some of our posts from the West Indies-England series last year. Whether this pitch is as bad as it seems or not, there's no need for the Indian posters to take it as a personal attack on their country whenever it happens to be the location.

Sir Alex

Banned
Agree that it happens everywhere bit disagree that it happens most to sub continent teams. It happens most to India because they have such a great batting lineup that whenever the pitch is flattish they make sure they score a whole heap. Ala Napier vs. NZ.
Athlai the Sri Lanka in Pakistan series is another example.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
People complain about uncompetitive pitches where-ever and whenever they occur. I haven't been following this match in any detail, but I gather its a pretty lifeless pitch AND some pretty crappy bowling, and the old adage about not being able to judge which is the stronger factor holds true until we see how SL go when they bat.

Can't say I've seen the OP post on this issue before, so don't know why you're questioning his motives.
Complaining is fine, you say it and move on. But going on and on about it kinda shows that people are arguing more than the pitch. It is the regular BCCI are evil type argument, take a look at some of the posts, it is Glen Beckism. For example :- 'Test Cricket is in danger', 'Save test cricket', 'it is killing test cricket'

Matt79

Global Moderator
Complaining is fine, you say it and move on. But going on and on about it kinda shows that people are arguing more than the pitch. It is the regular BCCI are evil type argument, take a look at some of the posts, it is Glen Beckism. For example :- 'Test Cricket is in danger', 'Save test cricket', 'it is killing test cricket'
You got all that from the below post?

Watching the Ind/Sri series is really making me sick, runs should be valuable and cherished. After finishing the first day of a test match, the batting team shouldn't be looking at a first innings total of 600 plus runs because the day ended with the team on 417-2. The first three batsmen in a batting line-up shouldn't all score centuries. There is something I really love about boycott expressing how he felt when getting to 50 against a West Indies bowling attack, he really appreciate those runs 20 plus years later because he was actually doing something to get them - proving himself as a good batsman. Runs shouldn't be taken for granted like this, Tendulkar isn't even pass 30 runs at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if he made a century too and as a spectator thats not good. We should be on the edge for our favourite players at all times. Killing test cricket.
He talked about the current series, noting that it was what he was watching at the moment. Reading that, it sounds like he's an Indian fan anyway.