• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Real Life Forum XI

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think he just posted a :laugh: in response to a claim he was a better opener than Matthew Hayden. :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to hear that Athers and others lurk here. On the sussex messageboard the players are always lurking, and follow what's written quite closely. In fact the management sometimes get in touch with messageboarders to ask that they "put the word out" to lay off a particular player a bit, etc. It really is amazing what an effect it has on them. In his autobiography Tony Cottey goes on about the flak that he used to cop on the messageboard and he really took it to heart.

It doesn't do any of us any harm, when we're posting, to bear in mind that the people we are airly dismissing as being "indisputably total crap" might actually read what we're writing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah, Phlegm got hit with that a while back when Mitchell McClenaghan showed up here.

I suppose it's best for onlookers to take any criticism as an invitation to prove it wrong. Were he so inclined, Stuart Broad would have seriously enjoyed trawling through old posts from Australians throughout the build-up to the Ashes.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure Gary Sobers would find it interesting - if he did venture in there can be no guarantees he'd get the all-rounders slot though

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting to hear that Athers and others lurk here. On the sussex messageboard the players are always lurking, and follow what's written quite closely. In fact the management sometimes get in touch with messageboarders to ask that they "put the word out" to lay off a particular player a bit, etc. It really is amazing what an effect it has on them. In his autobiography Tony Cottey goes on about the flak that he used to cop on the messageboard and he really took it to heart.

It doesn't do any of us any harm, when we're posting, to bear in mind that the people we are airly dismissing as being "indisputably total crap" might actually read what we're writing.
I bear that in mind all the time now.:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha yeah, Phlegm got hit with that a while back when Mitchell McClenaghan showed up here.

I suppose it's best for onlookers to take any criticism as an invitation to prove it wrong. Were he so inclined, Stuart Broad would have seriously enjoyed trawling through old posts from Australians throughout the build-up to the Ashes.
Hoping Harmison, Pakistani openers, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Neil Broom, Gareth Hopkins, Luke Wright and co. show up :p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Word about was Heath played FC or test cricket in NZ. Whether that's the case, or if it's part of his International Man of Mystery persona, I dunno :).

HeathDavisSpeed

Word about was Heath played FC or test cricket in NZ. Whether that's the case, or if it's part of his International Man of Mystery persona, I dunno :).
Nah. Voltman will confirm that these days I am not very good. I used to be decent before I did my knee in, but even then there would be plenty better than me. I have played against a number of FC and (former) test cricketers over the years, mainly through luck than judgement. I did represent the NZ TAB against our various Aussie counterparts at some brilliant venues in Australia, and against some pretty good players though.

Cards on the table there.

EDIT: I suspect Voltman was pretty good before he did his back by the way. I wouldn't envy the guy who has to Captain him though. Pretty useful leg-spinner even with a bad back.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Voltman will confirm that these days I am not very good.
Yes, I can well and truly confirm that. :cool:

I used to be decent before I did my knee in, but even then there would be plenty better than me. I have played against a number of FC and (former) test cricketers over the years, mainly through luck than judgement. I did represent the NZ TAB against our various Aussie counterparts at some brilliant venues in Australia, and against some pretty good players though.
Heath's front arm is his major downfall in his bowling action. That said, he can conjure up the occasional brilliant slower ball. On purpose or by chance, I'm not quite sure..

EDIT: I suspect Voltman was pretty good before he did his back by the way. I wouldn't envy the guy who has to Captain him though. Pretty useful leg-spinner even with a bad back.
I was OK - never lived up to my promise after debuting in Dunedin senior cricket at age 16 and having a good first spell. Lost massive confidence after playing under a senior captain who wouldn't bowl me (I went 7 straight games without a bowl) and started losing enthusiasm after that. Aside from that, I also changed my action and method too often. And my batting's never been too flash. And yes, my back is a handy excuse at times... :ph34r:

Had the pleasure of playing alongside, against and getting out to international cricketers, but not for some time now. I think I'd probably be in CW's second XI.

HeathDavisSpeed

Heath's front arm is his major downfall in his bowling action. That said, he can conjure up the occasional brilliant slower ball. On purpose or by chance, I'm not quite sure...
I can bowl a decent off-cutter and very useful at being right on the spot bowling round the wicket to right handers. An annoying habit of bringing myself on to bowl when the batsmen are both set on 100+ cost me last year.

JBMAC

State Captain
There was a bloke who used to partner dennis lillee in the aussie attack posted 3/4 posts here (under another name of course) in response to Lillee's performances in India some 18 months ago...He should be a walk up starter IMPO