• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, can I send my list? Ive done my 25. Done from the top of my head so there may be notable omissions but if I cant think of them them, IMO, they are not deserving of a place

Beleg

International Regular
from the original post,

Coming out of discussion in another thread, as well as numerous previous discussions down the years, I've always thought it would be a really interesting exercise if CW conducted a study much like the one ESPN did a few years back to rank the top 50 cricketers ever. I personally think that CW is the most knowledgeable cricket forum on the web and so I'd like to think that such an exercise on these pages would therefore carry considerable credibility, as well as being a bit of fun. It's the kind of thing I'd see as a significant endeavour and would rely on those taking part to actually put a decent amount of thought into their selections.
it'll just be another list, no more and no less credible than one produced by somebody, or a group of somebodies at cricinfo, 606, caribcricket, what-have-you. the attempt at making it seem more respectable by lacing it with a veneer of purportedly informed objectivity reeks of self-masturbationary back slapping that kinda make the participants seem like they're carrying a chip on their shoulders and revelling in their own brilliance at the same time.

your mileage may vary, of course

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
from the original post,

it'll just be another list, no more and no less credible than one produced by somebody, or a group of somebodies at cricinfo, 606, caribcricket, what-have-you. the attempt at making it seem more respectable by lacing it with a veneer of purportedly informed objectivity reeks of self-masturbationary back slapping that kinda make the participants seem like they're carrying a chip on their shoulders and revelling in their own brilliance at the same time.

your mileage may vary, of course
Hmm. It's mildly depressing that people with this attitude exist.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
I'd certainly be in for this. I'm not fussed about how many, although 25 is probably the ideal number, as 10 doesn't offer enough scope for variation and I agree with Lillian Thomson that 50 is probably over-the-top, however I feel that this is a great idea overall.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha, ok.

Beleg

International Regular
Hmm. It's mildly depressing that people with this attitude exist.
meh, i'd reckon the acceptance of the bolded bit in me earlier post with nary a blink is kinda more depressing but then again posting that here is kinda like preaching to richard dawkins.

Fusion

Global Moderator
thank you, captain obvious. please dont let my ignorance dampen yer enthusiasm though. :)
Haha I find it humorous that someone will specially post and call out us pretentious folks for daring to engage in a discussion about, gasp, cricket. Yet the same person doesn’t mind telling us all how he’s not going to participate in our “ego stroking exercise” because obviously…he’s so much better than that. Not a hint of ego in his post at all.

bagapath

International Captain
In his signature.
thanks. sent it.

I wonder how he is going to rank the players based on the votes. If Player A gets five top 10 votes and nothing else but player B gets 20 votes within top 25 but nothing in top 10 who gets ranked higher over all? actually, screw it... it is his headche!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, Goughy and Bagapath have got the ball rolling, so everyone feel free to get your votes in any time from now. There's no rush to get this completed overnight so I'll leave it open for a decent period of time (I'm thinking a couple of weeks) in order to allow as many people as possible to vote who are interested in doing so.

In terms of your lists, please remember to put them through in ranked order from 1-25. For each list I will be allocating 25 points for the player ranked no.1, down to one point for the player ranked at no.25. In the event of two or more players finishing the exercise on the same points, the tiebreaker will be whichever player has been nominated by the greater number of voters.

Does that sound fair?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ok, Goughy and Bagapath have got the ball rolling, so everyone feel free to get your votes in any time from now. There's no rush to get this completed overnight so I'll leave it open for a decent period of time (I'm thinking a couple of weeks) in order to allow as many people as possible to vote who are interested in doing so.

In terms of your lists, please remember to put them through in ranked order from 1-25. For each list I will be allocating 25 points for the player ranked no.1, down to one point for the player ranked at no.25. In the event of two or more players finishing the exercise on the same points, the tiebreaker will be whichever player has been nominated by the greater number of voters.

Does that sound fair?
It does sound fair.

I reckon it would be good though if the top 25 got 26 points to 2 points and everyone outside the top 25 (so 26th to 50th) gets 1 point. Or something similar.

I just think players who are consistently rated 30th to 50th best by most of us on here, should get some points overall.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It does sound fair.

I reckon it would be good though if the top 25 got 26 points to 2 points and everyone outside the top 25 (so 26th to 50th) gets 1 point. Or something similar.

I just think players who are consistently rated 30th to 50th best by most of us on here, should get some points overall.
Yeah, that's how ESPN did it and I like it - but that only works if everyone is voting for 50 players. The consensus for this was that everyone was happier voting for their personal top 25 and I'd collate an overall top 50 out of all the votes. As I said, I'm more than happy for you to send me your full 50 because I'd be really interested in seeing it, but for consistency I can only count your top 25 for pointscoring.