• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Apart from Ian Salisbury, who is the worst England player since 1990 of those........

Who is the worst England player since 1990 of those whose selection made some sense?

• Gladstone Small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neil Fairbrother

• Chris Lewis

• Richard Illingworth

• Peter Such

• Alan Mullally

• John Morris

• David Lawrence

• Neil Mallender

• Mark Lathwell

• Alan Igglesden

• Stephen Rhodes

• Joey Benjamin

• Jason Gallian

• Alan Wells

• Min Patel

• Mark Ealham

• Simon Brown

• Chris Silverwood

• Chris Read

• Ed Giddins

• James Foster

• James Kirtley

• Ed Smith

• Martin Saggers

• Chris Tremlett

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King Pietersen

International Captain
Ah right fair enough, not made remotely clear, but the Nick Knight inclusion's fair enough if it's Test cricket alone, he was pretty terrible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, he played the odd decent innings, but he was pretty awful for someone who earned his chance fully by being pretty damn prolific in First-Class cricket. Certainly I don't think him the worst though, not by a long chalque. I'm pretty sure he was never going to be a Test-class batsman because his technique was flawed, but he wasn't blessed with fortune, not least by having to bat down the order so regularly.

And either way, yes this is clearly just Test cricket. Pre-Pietersen Knight was England's best-ever ODI batsman but there is no game that is Test and ODI so you use one game or the other to assess a player, not both together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Tremlett one's strange as well. I always thought he looked quite an impressive prospect when he made his few Test appearances. 13 wickets at 29, in a series against a good Indian side isn't bad going at all. Certainly not a terrible enough bowler to justify being included in a list like this and probably would have played a couple more series if it wasn't for injuries.
Tremlett for me fits into the "decent cricketers who never got much of a crack at Test cricket but probably shouldn't have played at all" category - and I've included everyone I'd classify thus. I always thought Tremlett had considerable potential - still do in fact - but he's just never really looked like realising it, all career. I fear the chance may now be gone as he's into his late-20s these days, but I suppose there's still a modicum of hope. Reckon it's next season or never though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tremlett for me fits into the "decent cricketers who never got much of a crack at Test cricket but probably shouldn't have played at all category - and I've included everyone I'd classify thus. I always thought Tremlett had considerable potential - still do in fact - but he's just never really looked like realising it, all career. I fear the chance may now be gone as he's into his late-20s these days, but I suppose there's still a modicum of hope. Reckon it's next season or never though.
That makes very little sense and i really cannot see why he should be in this list.

Agree with the rest of what you say though, injuries have played a big role but are not entirely to blame, always felt that with his height he should have bowled with a little more agression and conviction but again that is likely to come with a run of games and full fintess. There were times when I saw real potential, saw him run through Glamorgan at the Rose bowl once and it was pure class. Next year is a big year for him but so was last year and I have begun to give up hope.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That makes very little sense and i really cannot see why he should be in this list.
You couldn't describe Tremlett as a poor bowler but you certainly can't describe him as a particularly good one either - not like you could with for instance Mike Smith, Martin McCague etc. His Test selection was one that was not completely devoid of merit (as for instance Schofield, Dawson and Mahmood were), but it's been clear all career why he's never really come close to fulfilling his potential, and in more fortunate times he'd not have played at all (he only played when he did because Harmison was injured, let's remember; Jones and Hoggard too were already out at that point).

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know I have a big advantage in hindsight, but I do find it rather hilarious that Tremlett got on this list :laugh:

Also, apologies for flogging an old horse.

Jacknife

International Captain
I know I have a big advantage in hindsight, but I do find it rather hilarious that Tremlett got on this list :laugh:

Also, apologies for flogging an old horse.
Completely agree and a huge :lol: at this,
You couldn't describe Tremlett as a poor bowler but you certainly can't describe him as a particularly good one either