• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under-19 World Cup 2009/10

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
New Zealand Under-19 226 for 5 (Cachopa 76*, Neesham 58, Qadir 2-51) beat Pakistan Under-19 221 for 9 (Ahmad 52, Rameez 52, Small 3-33) by five wickets

Craig Cachopa, the New Zealand Under-19 captain, scored an unbeaten 76 to lead his team to a five-wicket victory in the first of three preparatory matches for the World Cup against Pakistan Under-19 at Blenheim. Chasing 222 for victory, New Zealand chased down the target in the 38th over.

New Zealand put Pakistan in after winning the toss in blustery conditions and right-arm medium-pacer Bevan Small decimated the top order during a fiery opening spell, at one stage having figures of 3 for 12. Ahmad Shahzad (52) and Rameez Aziz (52) steadied the innings, compiling 70 for the fourth wicket. After Ahmad's dismissal Aziz combined with Muhammad Azam, adding another 63 for the fifth wicket. Small was the best of the New Zealand bowlers with 3 for 33, while right-arm medium-pacer Doug Bracewell took 2 for 45.

Despite losing their first wicket before a run was scored, and being 2 for 17 at one stage, the hosts were untroubled during their chase. Corey Anderson (39) and Jimmy Neesham (58) kick-started the innings with a third-wicket partnership of 79, setting the tone for the rest of the innings. Cachopa then featured in two strong partnerships, putting on 52 for the fifth wicket with Jono Hickey, and an unbeaten 50 from just 38 balls with Harry Boam to see the side through to victory.
Good win.

Anderson playing ITSTL.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Windies Under 19 are having a week long camp at Northern Districts and they managed to get Vettori to give them a motivational speech which apparently went down very well, particularly as we have some extremely promising spinners in the squad.

Nice of Dan to do something like that.

Beamer

In fact they are playing two List A warm up matches against a Northern Districts A side including Graeme Aldridge,Trent Boult, Michael Parlane and Brad Wilson.

I remember Trent Boult from the Under 19 WC but could any of you New Zealanders please enlighten me on how strong a Northern Districts A team including those names is likely to be.

They are playing the first match at the Bay Cricket Oval on Wednesday at 10.30. I must admit from the pics I have seen the ground looks stunning.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In fact they are playing two List A warm up matches against a Northern Districts A side including Graeme Aldridge,Trent Boult, Michael Parlane and Brad Wilson.

I remember Trent Boult from the Under 19 WC but could any of you New Zealanders please enlighten me on how strong a Northern Districts A team including those names is likely to be.

They are playing the first match at the Bay Cricket Oval on Wednesday at 10.30. I must admit from the pics I have seen the ground looks stunning.
Aldridge and Parlane are both First Class regulars, and while neither one of them have or ever will be considered for international selection, they will offer a very stern challenge to U19 cricketers. Boult is a useful left arm medium pacer who's had the benefit of a couple of years of being in and out of the domestic scene, same for Brad Wilson. An NDA side with those 4 should provide a very good warm.

bryce

International Regular

Northern Districts covers alot of areas around the North Island so it will be a very strong side consisting of mainly of people on the fringe of first team selection with FC experience. With the likely inclusion of Te Ahu Davis the seam attack will be notably strong.

Beamer

Thanks bryce and Bahnz.

So if West Indies Under 19 perform decently against ND A I should get quite excited at our prospects for the tournament itself.

Howsie

International Captain

I thought I saw some West Indian players at Bay Oval during the 20/20's on the weekend, thought at the time the must of been the Under 19 squad. As Bryce said the ND A team should be pretty strong. Graeme Aldridge has been one of the best bowlers this domestic season, Michael Parlane's played 10+ years of domestic cricket and Trent Boult's already played a ton of cricket for NZ A and was selected for the New Zealand team last year to play in the Chappel-Hadlee series. He's coming back from a pretty bad back injury though so the ND coach has only played him sparingly this season.

Other's I'd suspect to be in the ND A team would be fast bowlers Te Ahu Davis (New Zealand Emerging players bowler) Anurag Verma (Another quick bowler who played in the last world cup) and Andrew Matheison (Who is also another quick bowler who played under 19's in 2008 and 09). So the bowling attack should give them a pretty good workout.

If you see the scorecards for these games you wouldn't mind giving me a link would you though, wouldn't mind seeing them myself to tell you the truth.

bryce

International Regular
Certainly if the batsman score well that would show very positive signs. The form of the WI under-19 bowling attack may be more difficult to gauge as most these ND batsman probably haven't faced the type/quality of bowlers in matches recently that I assume the WI under-19 side will have

Flem274*

123/5
Certainly if the batsman score well that would show very positive signs. The form of the WI under-19 bowling attack may be more difficult to gauge as most these ND batsman probably haven't faced the type/quality of bowlers in matches recently that I assume the WI under-19 side will have
U19 sides, even the good ones, should still be handled by FC batsmen. Remember the hiding the NZ masters dished out to the 2007 side? That had Raval, Williamson, Anderson, Boult and co. only missed Southee.

Howsie

International Captain
Tbf that was only a 20/20 game and didn't the Masters players move Southee into that New Zealand XI because he would of been to quick for them?

bryce

International Regular
U19 sides, even the good ones, should still be handled by FC batsmen
Goes without saying really, I was more trying to point out that the WI under-19 bowling attack will probably offer something alot different to anything any of the batsman have faced in recent games which could possibly count against the ND 'A' batsmen.

Andrew Matheison (Who is also another quick bowler who played under 19's in 2008 and 09
I opened the bowling with him in his first ever game of senior cricket :cool:
in B grade...:ph34r:

Howsie

International Captain
Yea he's decent :ph34r: Gave me a month long bruise in the ribs when we played his school on a concrete wicket a few years back, I can tell you that wasn't fun.

Beamer

If you see the scorecards for these games you wouldn't mind giving me a link would you though, wouldn't mind seeing them myself to tell you the truth.
Thanks for the info. The match has probably just started and I've had no success so far but if I find a scorecard at the close of play or similar I will definitely post it.

Is the Bay Oval a bit of a road? The 20/20 scores at the ground seem quite high but obviously that is not the best indicator.