• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Team for Trent Bridge?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's an exceptional piece of work - I'm not going to comment on the selections other than to say that in my mind, you're not far off the mark.

Well done, marc. Great read.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
brill article, marc. there was only one selection i disagree with, but i'll go with LE and say nothing. well written.:)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That is a great article Marc, but I wouldn't drop Stewie yet.
As would I not pick Flintoff...

Bangladesh is a good team for a new keeper to come in against. So let him.

Good artical though Marc, well thought out.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, I wrote it to get some debate going, so if people want to suggest other players, please do so.

I wrote what I felt (although when I started it Flintoff was definitely dropped, but in the time it took to write, he convinced me otherwise)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Sorry to be big headed here, but I felt I had to quote this for posterity! ;)
It's a good artical, I enjoyed reading it and I thought your points were well explained, although I do not agree with a few of the selections I can see you have thought about it.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I personally wouldnt go for Giles or any spinner at Trent Bridge or at Headingly. If you want spin, go for Vaughan.

I would go for James Kirtley as the last pace bowler.

Good article though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's no truth in the rumour that my article was read by Gough and he decided to retire because of it!

(Awaits Stewart and Hussain to read it and keeps fingers crossed)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've already put my tounge in cheek suggestions.

With regard the real replacement, I stand by my article.

chris.hinton

International Captain
If Giles batting was poor i drop him but i leave him in for the time bring, but bring in Batty into the squad.... Kabir Ali has to play and Perhaps Kirby should be considered....

And Thorpe as well

Bazza

International 12th Man
Definitely interesting Marc. I'd go for:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe
Stewart
Flintoff
Giles
Johnson
Hoggard
Anderson

If Hoggard not fit then Kirtley. This is just my opinion however. It's pretty unlikely Harmison will be dropped and so one of Johnson/Hoggard will miss out anyway. If Stewart is dropped for Read then I will understand why, but I'm not sure we should be looking to weaken the batting and lower the experience in the team right now.

As people have been saying in tests you pick your best side. For me these guys are what we have right now. The bowling looks vulnerable either way but can't do worse. The batting I think Hussain deserves a run still and Thorpe is definitely a class player.

As pointed out we have Bangladesh in a few months - that is the time to drop Stewart (and if necessary ie they don't perform Hussain and Thorpe), and bring in Read, Smith and another batsman (possibly Key or McGrath). It's a shame Ian Ward is an opener or he would deserve another go I reckon.

There are two directions to go - retain the old guard or completely get shot of them now. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Anyway, I for one would love to be a fly on the wall in the next selection meeting (well actually all of them but especially this next one!). :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bazza said:
!

Anyway, I for one would love to be a fly on the wall in the next selection meeting (well actually all of them but especially this next one!). :D

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *splat* You were saying, David?

<quack> You git. That was going in the next DD diary.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I think england should keep Anderson. Youth is whats needed all the time, and he seems to have the most potential out of anyone. Until that last innings, i wanted flintoff out.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No youth is not what's needed all the time. That's the problem. We lose one test match and it's time to rebuild - oh hang on, didn't we just do that two months ago? Yeah good one.

Australia are the benchmark, surely we have to learn something from them? What I have learned is that they have dominated world cricket in the last few years, in an almost unprecedented way, yet the average age of their team is surely 31 or something like that.

I remember in the Ashes last winter they show the teams, their age and number of test matches. Australia had a whole host of players with 50+ tests. Most of our side had <20. No wonder we got a creaming!

That is why we need players like Hussain, Thorpe, Stewart for this series. When we get to Bangladesh, that is the time to bring in the resident teenagers or whatever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So everyone bar me wants to keep Anderson in - even though he's got run-up problems, cannot bowl a decent line, and has just 3 One Day games between the Tests, so no chance to sort himself out.