• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Team for Trent Bridge?

chris.hinton

International Captain
But marc We been doing that for years and it as got us nowhere i think that we should keep Anderson in the squad?

My Squad

Trescothick
Vaughan
Thorpe
Butcher
Hussain
Read
Flintoff
Giles
Anderson
Harminson
Kabir Ali
Solanki
Batty
Smith

I pick 14 so we can have a bit more competition

chris.hinton

International Captain
chris.hinton said:
But marc We been doing that for years and it as got us nowhere i think that we should keep Anderson in the squad?

My Squad

Trescothick
Vaughan
Thorpe
Butcher
Hussain
Read
Flintoff
Giles
Anderson
Harminson
Kabir Ali
Solanki
Batty
Smith

I pick 14 so we can have a bit more competition
Ed not Ben so you can stop it

Bazza

International 12th Man
Oh I was just about to criticise you for picking 4 Worcs players!

It's not about competition. In theory there should always be competition from all the other players in county cricket. The squad is picked after much consideration, and is usually 12 players (occasionally 13 if nagging injuries are prominent). Then on the day it is a case of tactics - to play 4 bowlers or 5, one spinner or 2, etc.

Kabir, Solanki and Batty have no chance at this stage, although could all be considered for the winter touring parties.

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
Hmmm...Rob Key is an opener...
I like your thinking Rik :lol: :D - In fact on of the Sky commentators was calling for him not to be forgoten :D

However if he gets in ahead of Smith you have my permission to complain... unless he hits loads of runs vs SA in the tour game 14* overnight ;)

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, Well, Well

England squad

Michael Vaughan, James Anderson, Gareth Batty, Mark Butcher, Glen Chapple, Andrew Flintoff, Ashley Giles, Stephen Harmison, Nasser Hussain, James Kirtley, Ed Smith, Alec Stewart, Marcus Trescothick

Gareth Batty, Glenn Chapple and Ed Smith are all in.

Andre

International Regular
The retention of Anderson isn't such a bad thing. If he was to be dropped, his confidence will be shattered.

The most suprising selection is that of Chapple for mine. Sure, Sangrah picked it, but he seems more an ODI player - or he should have got his go 2 years earlier. If only Giddins didn't retire... :D

Batty also interests me. Why would you pick two spinenrs when neither of them really seems up to the level? Strange at best.

Good to see McGrath gone :s

Ed Smith deserves a go, if only for Thorpies bad back!

Andre

International Regular
McGrath HAD to go - there was no choice in that. His blind spot was huge, and the ways he had been getting out were no less than embarrasing!

Still, Thorpie will be back as soon as his back is right methinks.

Craig

World Traveller
I could not understand the selections of Chapple and Batty. I wouldnt bother picking Batty or Giles at Leeds and Nottingham.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes Chapple is an ordinary all rounder in the first class game, though useful in OD cricket.

Batty is, well ordinary to say the least. Does anyone think Brown has missed out because of his inability to bat? Marc highlighted the possibility of 4 rabbits, and at least Batty has scored some runs. Still I've never felt we should pick bowlers on the strength of their batting!

Smith deserves his chance. Who knows if Thorpe would have been picked but his injury made Smith a certainty. Lets see what he can do!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's problem in this series is their bowling more than their batting. To win in cricket, you generally have to take 20 wickets. Therefore, I would go with my best bowling before my best bowling/batting (ie batting tail). Vaughan, Tresco, Butcher etc. are very good batsmen and, with good shot selection, England will score big runs.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Bazza said:
Yes Chapple is an ordinary all rounder in the first class game, though useful in OD cricket.

Batty is, well ordinary to say the least. Does anyone think Brown has missed out because of his inability to bat? Marc highlighted the possibility of 4 rabbits, and at least Batty has scored some runs. Still I've never felt we should pick bowlers on the strength of their batting!

Smith deserves his chance. Who knows if Thorpe would have been picked but his injury made Smith a certainty. Lets see what he can do!!
Batty is Ordinary you say, well what tosh Bazza Batty taking wickets can flight the ball up and can score runs i think this is test class?

Chapple is a donkey