• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The state of cricket...

jboss

Banned
Following another discussion (this time on cricinfo and sa media sites) about poor crowd attendance I have to apologise for an immature fan point of view on hwy the crowds are not coming to games.

The real reason why cricket is losing spectators is due to how the game is evolving. Tv companies and tv have modified the ODI and test format of the game and have won a large number of couch potatos as fans that have little understanding on the game and the history. So how can cricket be revived? I think the solution is to reduce the amount of fads in the game and stop making it a batsmans game. I would even go as far as either removing third umpire decisions or possibly making them available only to in staduim big screens. There is such a HUGE imbalance anyway with technology not doing the job in that the ICC must either make all decisions referrable or not. Why are only run out's referrable?

Most of us here know what it is like to really get behind your team and the impact that 20000 + fans can have on an A Donald charging in full steam so why is the ICC trying to stop this? They are allowing more benefits to the fans at thome with technology and reducing the excitement about going to watch a live game.

Is it not possible to limit the tv aspect of the game and keep the balance of the game that makes it exciting to watch live as apposed to tv? Surely by only providing referrals and replays in the staduims the fans will come back?

I say screw the tv companies and screw them again for changing the game in such a way that it only draws in fans that are better off watching baseball.

Last edited:

jboss

Banned
oh, and just like that. there goes all the money.
It is always about the money but without a growing intrest in the game, the game will die and the money will too anyway, It is just a mtter of time. I am sure they can cut off local transmissions to games in the area with technology and all and perhaps only show games live in the area when all tickets have been sold. The ICC is doing a poor job by getting real fans and an even worse job by losing the ones they have. I hate going to ODI cricket anyway because of the imbalance between bat and ball and I love to see a bowler ttry take the batsmans head off.

Perhaps the way forward is only allowing games to be broadcast over internet and pay per view and at the price of a regular statuim ticke. After all you get more value for money when watching ion tv so why would anyone go watch a live game that seems expensive. Just trying to discuss solutions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is always about the money but without a growing intrest in the game, the game will die and the money will too anyway, It is just a mtter of time. I am sure they can cut off local transmissions to games in the area with technology and all and perhaps only show games live in the area when all tickets have been sold. The ICC is doing a poor job by getting real fans and an even worse job by losing the ones they have. I hate going to ODI cricket anyway because of the imbalance between bat and ball and I love to see a bowler ttry take the batsmans head off.

Perhaps the way forward is only allowing games to be broadcast over internet and pay per view and at the price of a regular statuim ticke. After all you get more value for money when watching ion tv so why would anyone go watch a live game that seems expensive. Just trying to discuss solutions.
And how's interest in the game supposed to grow without TV?

The closest Test venue to me is Chester-le-Street.

jboss

Banned
And how's interest in the game supposed to grow without TV?

The closest Test venue to me is Chester-le-Street.
Wow did you even read what I said? I never said ban tv. I said ban tv coverage in the area where the games are being played until all tickets are sold.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is losing its spectators because of the growing belief among that game's administartors that a fan's love and excitment for the game is directly proportional to the amount of runs scored by a batsman.
This belief is silly to say the least and is the chief cause for this growing imbalance between bat and ball.
I have absolutely no interest these days in test cricket in the subcontinent as it is no longer a contest between bat and ball.
Infact, I was really disappointed to see the state of the pitches even in South Africa during the Champions Trophy.

Until and unless the the game's adminstrators realize that as much as we enjoy a Gilchrist smashing everyone all over the park, we also enjoy this

jboss

Banned
Cricket is losing its spectators because of the growing belief among that game's administartors that a fan's love and excitment for the game is directly proportional to the amount of runs scored by a batsman.
This belief is silly to say the least and is the chief cause for this growing imbalance between bat and ball.
I have absolutely no interest these days in test cricket in the subcontinent as it is no longer a contest between bat and ball.
Infact, I was really disappointed to see the state of the pitches even in South Africa during the Champions Trophy.

Until and unless the the game's adminstrators realize that as much as we enjoy a Gilchrist smashing everyone all over the park, we also enjoy this
Yes I agree to this. CSA have a discussio going on FB and I voiced my concerns over there. The point is that bowling is no lobger considered an art or appreciated. Take an ODI game. 300/300 balls are exiting when your team is batting but only 10/300 balls have the chance of being exceiting when your team bowls because agressive bowling is punished.

I wonder what the ICC will do next? Remove the seam from the ball I suppose.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wow did you even read what I said? I never said ban tv. I said ban tv coverage in the area where the games are being played until all tickets are sold.
Not really. It's becoming a bad habit of mine where your posts are concerned.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is a policy that is in place in many US sports but that can ony work due to every town having their own affiliate channel and the game only gets blacked out locally. eg if the Arizona Cardinals did not sell a certain amount of tickets then the game could not be shown in Phoenix

I dont know how possible it would be to blackout Pretoria only if a game at Centurian did not sell the requisite number of tickets or to blackout Yorkshire if thesame happened at Headingley.

It is not a bad idea per se it is just not fair or realistic to deprive a national or international audience of the game on TV.

jboss

Banned
It is a policy that is in place in many US sports but that can ony work due to every town having their own affiliate channel and the game only gets blacked out locally. eg if the Arizona Cardinals did not sell a certain amount of tickets then the game could not be shown in Phoenix

I dont know how possible it would be to blackout Pretoria only if a game at Centurian did not sell the requisite number of tickets or to blackout Yorkshire if thesame happened at Headingley.

It is not a bad idea per se it is just not fair or realistic to deprive a national or international audience of the game on TV.
They do not have to deprive anyone. Perhaps they need to implement it in a way that live coverage will only be online at a pay per view fee that is more than what a ticket to go watch the game is. There is no reason why tv fans should pay less for more benefits, I mean you go to a game and there is replays on the screen there.

jboss

Banned
Not really. It's becoming a bad habit of mine where your posts are concerned.
Perhaps you are one of those uneducated people from the country where they have no cricket talent or depth. I am surprised by this comment as you manged to reply twice to what I had to say but yet state you have not really read anything. In response your opinion is worthless given the fact that you have not even read what you are commenting on.