• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Broom

Howsie

International Captain
You've really got to understand that the "He's performed well at domestic level, therefore he'll be successful at International level" argument doesn't always apply. There are endless examples of this.
But when a batsmen isn't even given a real chacne to perform how are we suppose to guage if they're good enough or not? I don't think anyone here can say both Broom and Flynn were given a decent shot in the New Zealand one day team, thus domestic records are all we can go on.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
But when a batsmen isn't even given a real chacne to perform how are we suppose to guage if they're good enough or not? I don't think anyone here can say both Broom and Flynn were given a decent shot in the New Zealand one day team, thus domestic records are all we can go on.
Where he averages 24, passing 50 just 6 times out of 47. Doesn't really help him there...
His two centuries came in the one season as well, and in the other 8 innings of said season he failed to cross fifty once.

Polo23

International Debutant
Glad as hell you're not a NZ selector then.

I'm sorry to all Broom fans out there, but Broom = zero imo & shouldn't be picked for a good few years until his obvious deficiencies are sorted out.

People can claim he's batting out of position all they like, but what concerns me is virtually every-time I've watched him, he completely misses straight balls & is either out LBW or bowled.

And then people tirelessly labour the point that his FC record is okay...big deal I say...

There's been plenty of players over the years that have feared reasonably well at FC level, but have struggled with the step up to internationals, and he's is a classic example of this from what I've seen.

Not exclusively due to the fact he averages 13 (or whatever it is) either, but more due to the fact he's looked all at sea every time I've seen him to the point where I've just become resigned to the fact he'll miss a straight ball & fail.

I'm really lost as to what I'm missing here exactly.
A few failures and one of the most promising batsmen NZ has is "zero".

While I think he should go back to domestic cricket for a while I definitely don't think he should be forgotten about or written off (as you appear to be so keen to do).

You're whole "there are plenty of people who have been great FC players but don't step up at international level" argument is moot. He's never had a chance at test cricket so how could you possibly know he'll fail?

Like almost all NZ cricketers he struggles against decent spin, but from what i've seen he's looked pretty comfortable against quick bowling. I'm guessing the only times you've seen him are when he's faced quality spinners (or perhaps the recent Pakistan series is at the forefront of your mind where Afridi made him look a bit stupid). Definitely something to be worked on, but hardly an issue worth saying "oh this bloke is rubbish...lets never even think about selecting him again" over.

Fully expect Broom to bounce back and be knocking on the door again soon enough.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few failures and one of the most promising batsmen NZ has is "zero".

While I think he should go back to domestic cricket for a while I definitely don't think he should be forgotten about or written off (as you appear to be so keen to do).

You're whole "there are plenty of people who have been great FC players but don't step up at international level" argument is moot. He's never had a chance at test cricket so how could you possibly know he'll fail?

Like almost all NZ cricketers he struggles against decent spin, but from what i've seen he's looked pretty comfortable against quick bowling. I'm guessing the only times you've seen him are when he's faced quality spinners (or perhaps the recent Pakistan series is at the forefront of your mind where Afridi made him look a bit stupid). Definitely something to be worked on, but hardly an issue worth saying "oh this bloke is rubbish...lets never even think about selecting him again" over.

Fully expect Broom to bounce back and be knocking on the door again soon enough.
Two responses;

1) I'm sorry, but I'm only commenting on what he's done to date at International level, & to average 15 with a SR of 60 after 16 innings does = zero in anyone's language. Never said he was 'zero' at FC level.

2) Where exactly did I say "discard him & never pick him again"?What I said is,he needs to be sent back to domestic cricket (for a decent amount of time) to overcome some obvious deficiencies.

Incidentally, have you actually considered what continually selecting a player who's clearly not up to International level does to that players confidence.....failure after failure, surely this can't be good for Broom.
Being sent back to improve his craft at domestic level is actually doing him a favour IMO, whereas continuing to select for International cricket is doing him a massive disservice as most players do actually care about their own stats & it's already a long haul confidence-wise for him to make a successful return to International cricket, even if he did have a break for a couple of years.

Ironically, for that reason, I think I'm actually showing more empathy towards Broom than all you guys suggesting he should continue to be picked despite his failure after failure. Be human & put him out of his misery for now.

SpeedStar

Cricket Spectator
You can't really compare people like Broom to Hussey and Bevan, it's like comparing The Jonas Brothers to Led Zeppelin..

But as I said, I think Broom would have more sucess in the longer form of the game, but all of our test positions are fulled.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
You can't really compare people like Broom to Hussey and Bevan, it's like comparing The Jonas Brothers to Led Zeppelin..

But as I said, I think Broom would have more sucess in the longer form of the game, but all of our test positions are fulled.
Would say only Taylor, Ryder, McCullum and Vettori are locks in the Test side. Flynn, the openers and the lower middle order bat are all contestable.

Flem274*

123/5
He is batting at Napier against CD who have a suspiciously ineffective after injury Mason, Seth Rance, Jeremy Kuru in his second match, Worker as fifth bowler and main spinner...

Good innings though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding Flynn. ND didn't even pick him for a one day game at the end of last season. He was a healthy scratch.

GGG

State Captain
As much as I knock him over his ODI ability I believe he should be given a go at tests. He should of been there instead of Elliot IMO.