Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sachin - The Underperformer - Kapil Dev

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The player who could never have done better is exceptionally rare.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

U19 Debutant
    Rubish article.

The premise/contention of the article isn't necessarily rubbish. One could argue that Tendulkar should have been better than he was - and some on CW have said so. Notable Dasa, back when he was around.

However the way Kapil has expressed his view, and the facts he has used to back it up are really poor. Firstly when naming the ODI innings in which he believes Sachin utilised his talent, he names two from 2009. Not mentioning any of his knocks where he attacked from the start back in 98, 2003 (World Cup in particular) etc. Embarrassing.

Also the way he compared Gavaskar and Sachin was quite contrived. Sachin doesn't "destroy a bowler in the first over" because at times he can't because they're bowling well, and at other times because the team doesn't need it with Sehwag blasting away at the other end.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Also at Kapil saying for Sachin's talent, he should have made a 300 and at least one 400.

Wtf?
    Last edited by Jono; 22-11-2009 at 10:08 AM.

This is not an attack on Kapil but I find it ironic reading this from Kapil himself. It is Kapil who never fulfilled his potential as a batsman. There is consensus among his peers that Kapil was a much better batsman than his performances or stats show. He had the chance to bail out India so many times and he did it so rarely despite the talent.

IMO he has been India's most gifted cricketer to-date.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I read the article and found it in very bad taste. People are correct in saying Sachin has not acheived as much as he could have but the way the article was written seemed like he wanted to play the party pooper.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't really agree that Sachin could have been much better. Whatever the limiting factor on his ability was, it wasn't technique, fitness or a willingness to work hard at his game, so I don't think it was anything he could have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I also think the idea that Sachin hasn't had to work hard is incredibly insulting, not only to Sachin but to international cricket in general.

Being naturally good doesn't mean you can just laze around and not actually put your head down and think about your weaknesses, and practice against the short ball, and improve your running between the wickets etc.

U19 Debutant
    Kapil was a good cricketer but never liked him as a person, he seems like a uneducated villager when he speaks

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's bollocks by a lot of accounts anyway. When Shane Warne was due to visit India he reportedly hunted down every leg-spinner in the country and spent months practicing against them in the nets until he had it down to a fine art. Then there's the anecdotes about the day when he thought his straight drive wasn't working correctly and so played an entire innings, scoring a century, without playing a single straight drive.

Just because he makes batting look effortless doesn't mean he's not trying.

Definely. The double ton vs. Aust without a cover drive as well.

Tendulkar's work ethic would be there just as much as a Dravid or Kallis etc.

I imagine the same would go for Ponting as well.

You don't score 10,000+ runs simply because you were born with a decent talent of hitting a cricket ball.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Tendulkar, in the first part of his career, achieved less IMO. He used to get out to scores of less than 150 where Lara used to make the bigger scores. This changed in the 2000s and Tendulkar makes the big scores now. He is a run machine and you can't fault that in a player. Even Bradman was criticised for being too mechanical in scoring his runs but if that is a criticism, I'd take it any day.

Kapil Dev bet against Tendulkar that he wouldn't last in the game 10 or 15 years (not sure whether it's 10 or 15). That is an extremely harsh bet to make against any youngster IMO. Regardless of that, I don't want to attack Kapil Dev as it would sound cheap coming from a Tendulkar fan.

The way Tendulkar has shaped his career, lasting for 20 plus years and every one believing he will last till 2011 world cup (if not till the 2011-12 Aussie tour which is a remote possibility as well), the man is the epitome of utilising your talent and constantly improving aspects a player (like say the innovative strokes he plays nowadays).

If Tendulkar comes here to Aust in 2011/12 and is still playing I will travel to every single match there is and watch him.

Would be a miracle. Probably will have given up ODIs by then and will be playing tests only, but ya never know.

Dhoni reportedly wants Tendulkar to play the 2015 WC in Aus/NZ too, and Steve Waugh reckons Tendulkar has it in him to carry on in Test cricket till he's 45.

I agree with Sanz about it being ironic that the man who neglected his batting is the one accusing another of underachieving.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information