Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who really is the worst player to play Tests for England since 1990?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wayne Larkins

0 0%
  • David Capel

0 0%
  • Eddie Hemmings

1 3.70%
  • Neil Williams

0 0%
  • Derek Pringle

0 0%
  • Ian Botham

1 3.70%
  • Dermot Reeve

0 0%
  • Mike Gatting

0 0%
  • Paul Jarvis

0 0%
  • John Emburey

0 0%
  • Neil Foster

0 0%
  • Mike Watkinson

0 0%
  • Ben Hollioake

1 3.70%
  • Gavin Hamilton

2 7.41%
  • Chris Schofield

2 7.41%
  • Usman Afzaal

1 3.70%
  • James Ormond

0 0%
  • Richard Dawson

4 14.81%
  • Anthony McGrath

1 3.70%
  • Gareth Batty

1 3.70%
  • Geraint Jones

0 0%
  • Liam Plunkett

0 0%
  • Ian Blackwell

1 3.70%
  • Sajid Mahmood

9 33.33%
  • Darren Pattinson

2 7.41%
  • Amjad Khan

1 3.70%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Who really is the worst player to play for England since 1990?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I actually agree, but whether it's true or not doesn't actually matter. When setting the poll options you should try to ensure they aren't biased by your opinion. It doesn't matter if Botham's a more worthy poll option in your opinion or not - the poll options should be set out with what people are likely to vote for in mind, not what you'd like them to vote for.
    I've set-out the criteria pretty obviously TBH. I said who is the worst cricketer to play for England in this time; not whose Test performances have been the worst. I have indeed acknowledged that several of those present are probably erroneously so.

I consider that it does not constitute "bias by my opinion", rather "taking account of things not everyone might immediately consider" to state that Salisbury, Irani etc. were in fact quite considerably better cricketers than the likes of Watkinson, Mahmood etc. regardless of the fact that their Test performances were every bit as bad and sometimes worse.

I don't want to give people the option to vote for something that doesn't fit the criteria I'm asking votes to be based on.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fair enough, but the title asks us who is the worst player to play for England in the 90s
    Well, no - since 1990, not in the 1990s (ie, in the 1990s and 2000s). Not "who performed worst having been picked for England since 1990"; that's as obvious as "which batsman performed best in cricket history?"

Maybe time for another thread - and Salisbury won't be an option because he'd be such an obvious winner if he was.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    When Beefy was recalled for the 5th test versus the Windies in 1991 it was off the back of a pretty decent season. He scored 785 runs @ 43.61 & took 44 wickets @ 24.47. Any all-rounder would be pleased with those returns and one with Both's record of service was always going to feature in the selectors' discussions.
    Blimey, I hadn't realised that. Great stat work Brumby

Yet even that's a rather disingenious version of events. Truth is Botham had a couple of excellent games at the start of 1991, then missed one-and-a-half months with injury and clearly lacked proper full fitness even after he returned (almost never appeared in consecutive rounds). Now, in one of those early games he scored 161 against the West Indian tourists (the might of the attack featuring Patrick Patterson, Ian Allen, Hamish Anthony, Courtney Walsh and Phil Simmons) but thereafter mustered just 4 half-centuries, with a top-score of 81. In the last 9 of his 11 games he averaged a mere 26.5 overs per game (ie, 13 per innings). He was not remotely in a fit state for top-level cricket, wasn't really performing that well at all, and any decent set of selectors could and would have realised this. Instead past glories were given far too much consideration.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information