• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

After the Don, who is Australia's best cricketer...

who is the best cricketer to pull on the baggy green outside the Don..

• Allan Border

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Greg Chappell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Alan Davidson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Clarrie Grimmett

• Matt Hayden

• Dennis Lillee

• Ray Lindwall

• Glenn McGrath

• Keith Miller

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Bill O'Reilly

• Ricky Ponting

• Doug Walters

• Shane Warne

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • other - please state

• Total voters

hourn

U19 Cricketer
as it's obviousbly hard to compare the a bowler to a batsmen to a keeper to an allrounder.

but a better way to put it - if you and another captain lined up to pick two teams of the best Australian's to play against each other, the first captain would pick Don Bradman, as the second captain who would you pick.......

For me it would be Keith Miller - gives you a lot to work with the bat and is as good as any other bowler to have played.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Geoff Marsh thinks it's Steve Waugh.

Wisden thinks its Shane Warne.

Frankly, I have no idea - there is no one who quite stands out like Bradman.

Possibly Lillee for what he did to fast bowling - possibly.

Victor Trumper must feel pretty bad that he missed the list :D

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
theres a lot who missed that list. McCabe, morris, ponsford, them and the rest of all the teams from 1930-1950

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's like comparing curry and chocolate - both are wonderful in their own ways.

Mmmmmmmmm, curried chocolate.

Ray Lindwall for me if I have to come up with any name. Or Richie Benaud or Doug Walters or Clarrie Grimmett or Bill Lawry (what a player he was when the going got tough) or Glenn or Warnie.

The one who said Churchy - got to the bottom of the class.

masterblaster

International Captain
Allan Border no doubt. Brave, stylish and competent with both bat and ball. Leader from the front, extremely intelligent and hard working cricketer.

Steve Waugh is next, toughest batsman to get out, captain courageous, greatest captain of all time, gritty, ice cool in a crisis.

My List:

Don Bradman
Allan Border
Steve Waugh

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Steve Waugh for his single minded determination, relentless pursuit of success, and for his longevity.
He is averaging over 80 in 2003.
Tremendous player.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
As always with these polls, it is hopelessly rigged towards today's players.

I say SRT.
That's the trouble though, the older players were no doubt as good, but because at the age most are the most we might have seen is a old video or highlights during a lunch break in the cricket.. So most will obviously go with people they know and have seen on a regular basic.

Eclipse

International Debutant
For me it's Warne then Waugh.

Or though by the time Ponting retires it will be him you would assume considering he should have about 35-40 Test 100's and a frig load of runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But who's to say the likes of the Chappells etc. wouldn't have got that many if they'd played as much as is played nowadays?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
But who's to say the likes of the Chappells etc. wouldn't have got that many if they'd played as much as is played nowadays?
who know's Indeed.

Quantity does eventualy have to count for somthing though Alec Stewart has been a great player but if he had only made 2000 runs at and avrage of 40 he would basicly be considerd good but nothing special.
But because he has somthing like 8000 test runs that makes him one of England's greats.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Allan Border no doubt. Brave, stylish and competent with both bat and ball
Border's batting (and bowling) and the word stylish have never been used in the same sentence before.

As a captain I rate border very highly, more than G Chappell. Its difficult to choose between all these, its a very close call. It might have been an easier comparison if it was purely as a batsman (and not overall cricketer), G Chappell will probably get the nod. But obvioulsy I am not too familiar with the careers of some of the older players.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My vote goes to Scott Muller for obvious reasons. :)

Second would be Warne, because he's never really done that well against the West Indies (bar the 7/52).

Bazza

International 12th Man
Gilchrist was winning until I voted for Waugh. No Healy or Marsh though!?

I don't see why Hayden is in the list either - that's like putting Michael Vaughan on a similar list for England, which shouldn't happen.