• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

After the Don, who is Australia's best cricketer...

who is the best cricketer to pull on the baggy green outside the Don..

• Allan Border

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Greg Chappell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Alan Davidson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Clarrie Grimmett

• Matt Hayden

• Dennis Lillee

• Ray Lindwall

• Glenn McGrath

• Keith Miller

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Bill O'Reilly

• Ricky Ponting

• Doug Walters

• Shane Warne

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • other - please state

• Total voters

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well I think it's pathetic that Gilchrist seems to have won this poll. It's incredible that people actually think he is Australias second best cricketer EVER!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very young voters, I suppose.

How can he be Australia's second-best player ever when he's only about their 5th best wicket-keeper?

I might just about put him on a par with Ian Healy (allowing extra credits for his batting, of course) but he is a military mile behind Rodney Marsh and Bertie Oldfield.

And as for John Blackham - well, I suggest that some of you ought to read up on the guy. He invented the whole concept of wicket-keeping technique, stood up to the fastest bowlers and was the first to dispense with the 'long stop' - a standard field setting in the 19th century.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
keeping wise, i agree with LE. Although i though healy was much better then gilly. is batting is obviously great, but in selecting a keeper for an aus XI, you want to go for skills behind the stumps, not in front of them

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
<Heart> Now you see why they got deported in the first place, with opinions like that.

<Head> Ah, diversity of opinion, isn't it wonderful?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
keeping wise, i agree with LE. Although i though healy was much better then gilly. is batting is obviously great, but in selecting a keeper for an aus XI, you want to go for skills behind the stumps, not in front of them
Absolutely. If you have a fabulous batting line-up, surely you can afford to pick your best keeper?

Not knowing much about the standard of wicketkeeping in Australia at the moment, it's quite possible that Gilly is the best available behind the sticks anyway, so I'm not arguing against his selection in the current line-up (far from it).

Oh, where's the next Russell/ Marsh/ Taylor/ Engineer/ Knott going to come from? Taibu, perhaps? He looks to me to have the best pair of hands but I'll ask myself the same question in a couple of years.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I picked S.Waugh... closley followed by Border, Warne and Keith Miller...
I probably would have went Miller but i never saw him play, only on the highlight reels, and boy did he look good, But in the end it was Tugger that got my vote...

And for the Wicketkeeper issue, Wade Seccombe is probably Australia's No 1 Keeper but the reason Gilly is there is he gives the selectors a opportunity to play 5 bowlers and still not lose any batting strength....
His keeping is good but sometimes inconsistent, He can take some amazing catches and do some brilliant things but he has also been known to miss simple chances, if he cut those out then his reputation would increase immensley...

But i agree with many here that he is not even close to being near the 2nd best cricketer Australia has had...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Oh, where's the next Russell/ Marsh/ Taylor/ Engineer/ Knott going to come from? Taibu, perhaps? He looks to me to have the best pair of hands but I'll ask myself the same question in a couple of years.
Parthiv Patel...maybe...?