Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian cricketers getting 200's (and big scores in general)

U19 Cricketer

Australian cricketers getting 200's (and big scores in general)

After hearing of Jayawardene's innings of 275, I have been thinking...

Is it just me, or do Australian cricketers not get really big scores anymore? Obviously most of the big scores some from India, Sri Lanka and West Indies (playing on flat pitches), but that doesn't explain it... Collingwood managed 200 in the 2007 Ashes series.

Who actually was the last Australian player to score 200 in a test innings? I am assuming it was Gillespie (not even a batsman) and that was 3.5 years ago now. For that matter, can somebody possibly provide stats of the highest test scores of Australian batsmen in the past few years? I know Haddin got 169 against NZ, Ponting got 150 against England and I remember Hussey getting around 145 against NZ a few years back.

Is it just my imagination? Or at the Aussies, as good as they are, just not good at getting big individial scores?

Was thinking of that when people were discussing the "downfall of Australia" thread. It seemed as though there'd be a double hundred a summer at one stage during the early-mid 2000s.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJLegend View Post
    After hearing of Jayawardene's innings of 275, I have been thinking...

Is it just me, or do Australian cricketers not get really big scores anymore? Obviously most of the big scores some from India, Sri Lanka and West Indies (playing on flat pitches), but that doesn't explain it... Collingwood managed 200 in the 2007 Ashes series.

Who actually was the last Australian player to score 200 in a test innings? I am assuming it was Gillespie (not even a batsman) and that was 3.5 years ago now. For that matter, can somebody possibly provide stats of the highest test scores of Australian batsmen in the past few years? I know Haddin got 169 against NZ, Ponting got 150 against England and I remember Hussey getting around 145 against NZ a few years back.

Is it just my imagination? Or at the Aussies, as good as they are, just not good at getting big individial scores?
    Could be worse. Could be England. In 11 years after Gooch scored 333 in 1990, England had 1 double
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Could be worse. Could be England. In 11 years after Gooch scored 333 in 1990, England had 1 double
    Nasser wasn't it? I doubt that we made many 200's in the 11 years before Gooch's 333 either. Possibly only the 3 against India, with two of them being in the same innings.
    Not really the English way, is it.

EDIT
    Just remembered that Gower made at least one double against Aus in 1985 as well.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 19-11-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    And then Bobby Key came along...

Jason Gillespie in 2006 vs Bangers would be the last.

Has probably occurred in part because its been a very strong batting line up in which several players have often cashed in, and which is result oriented and hence have declared on people.

Before that, probably Gilchrist's double (at then record pace) in South Africa and Hayden's 380 vs Zimbabwe in the streak at the beginning of decade

Seem to remember Ponting getting a 190 at some stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Off the top of my head Brad Hodge scored one against South Africa and I'm sure Ponting's managed a double in the last half-decade.

Cricinfo says Gillespie was the latest, and before that was a certain Bradley J. Hodge. Obviously scoring double tons has such dire consequences for your selection prospects that no-one else has been willing to take the chance!

There's Ponting during 2003/04 vs India, he may have even notched up two that series. Plus Langer in the Ashes at the MCG the year before.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Nasser wasn't it? I doubt that we made many 200's in the 11 years before Gooch's 333 either. Possibly only the 3 against India, with two of them being in the same innings.
    Not really the English way, is it.

EDIT
    Just remembered that Gower made at least one double against Aus in 1985 as well.
    Since the 60s we've produced fewer genuinely great (as in all-timers) pro rata than any other of the major test nations, seemingly. There's probably a Sports Science thesis in there as to why that should be.

Botham maybe the last English product who would worry compilers of all-time lists?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    And then Bobby Key came along...
    Thorpe in NZ may have been the first since Gooch's 333.

Since Gillespie's 200 in April 2006, Ponting's 196 in November 2006 was the highest score by an Australian. There have been 10 scores of 150+, only one of which, Symonds 162* in the test that dare not speak its name, was not out.

Link
    Last edited by Matt79; 19-11-2009 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Since the 60s we've produced fewer genuinely great (as in all-timers) pro rata than any other of the major test nations, seemingly. There's probably a Sports Science thesis in there as to why that should be.

Botham maybe the last English product who would worry compilers of all-time lists?
    Probably. We don't even produce players who obviously belong in a current world XI for more than a few months, never mind an all time list. Maybe Gooch in 1990-93 was the last who did the biz for more than a year. Prior to that, Botham in his absolute pomp, although of course there were other all-rounders of note.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Thorpe in NZ may have been the first since Gooch's 333.
    Oh yeah, forgot that one. And the Trescothick one. Add in Collingwood's (Adelaide ) and KP's and that's five this decade. Doesn't seem too bad.
    Last edited by four_or_six; 19-11-2009 at 06:28 AM.

^^ Flintoff or KP? Not all-time, but both would have been in a World XI for more than a few months IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information