• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian cricketers getting 200's (and big scores in general)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jason Gillespie in 2006 vs Bangers would be the last.

Has probably occurred in part because its been a very strong batting line up in which several players have often cashed in, and which is result oriented and hence have declared on people.

Before that, probably Gilchrist's double (at then record pace) in South Africa and Hayden's 380 vs Zimbabwe in the streak at the beginning of decade

Seem to remember Ponting getting a 190 at some stage.
Me too :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah, forgot that one. And the Trescothick one. Add in Collingwood's (Adelaide :@) and KP's and that's five this decade. Doesn't seem too bad.
Even England haven't quite managed to escape the influence of flattening-out of pitches and degradation of bowling quality since 2001/02. Their batsmen have been forced into a few double-centuries too. From 1991 to 2000 England was basically the best place to bowl (generally seam) on the planet, and consequently the worst to bat.

Typically though just one of the five doubles since 2001/02 was chanceless: Thorpe was dropped 2nd ball; Trescothick should've been caught on 167; Key was missed on 42; and KP was stumped off a no-ball before he got 50 (can't remember exactly what the score was off the top of my head). Only Collingwood (of all people) fully earned it.

I'd bet a fairly decent portion of the Australian doubles 2001/02-2005/06 were chanceless, though I can also certainly think of some that weren't.

BTW it should be noted that a double-century scored on something other than a deck offering little-to-nothing to either seam or spin is exceptionally unusual. Almost all double-centuries come on decks simply aching to give-up runs.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't the missed stumping on KP's from a no-ball?
True, and it wasn't a missed stumping. Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh.

Was also one of the funniest CW in-match-thread instances for a while - IIRR the sequence went:
Me: "Would you believe it?"
Halz: "Haha, oh dear. :laugh:"
grecian: "<something along those lines"
Dale Brumby "For those of us not watching, posts like this are plain cruel"

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha it's true!

I remember following cricinfo at the end of the final test of the West Indies-England series when England were pushing for those last few wickets to get a result. Cricinfo are miles behind CW, especially when a wicket falls. You posted saying simply "This defies belief." and I and a few others were like WTF HAPPENED?!?!

Turned out it was nothing, you just felt like saying that at this particular moment. Cruel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, don't remember that TBH.

Not that I'm denying it happened BTW, just surprised I don't remember it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 Doubles in that series vs India.
Punter made a double in WI 2003.So that would be 3 doubles in 2003 for him.
Also vs Pak think at the SCG.
Ponting's doubles in that series v India came in back-to-back tests iirc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup, might even have both been 250s. Former came in defeat at Adelaide Oval; latter came in victory at the MCG.