Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 138

Thread: What shoul SA do when their ENG exports come running back to SA?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Borgund, Norway
    Posts
    276

    What shoul SA do when their ENG exports come running back to SA?

    I just realised the Kiswatter(spelling) may not have an opportunity after all to play for ENG one day. Using him as an example should SA welcome him back when he realises that Prior has many years left as wicketkeeper? He has alreasy epressed no intrest in playing for SA and I feel that may come back to haunt him.

  2. #2
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    What makes you assume they'd go back to SA anyway?

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    I just realised the Kiswatter(spelling) may not have an opportunity after all to play for ENG one day. Using him as an example should SA welcome him back when he realises that Prior has many years left as wicketkeeper? He has alreasy epressed no intrest in playing for SA and I feel that may come back to haunt him.
    ?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Borgund, Norway
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    ?
    You did not read. I asked when his decision comes back to haunt him. I bet he will not be able to play as wicket keeper for England as Prior is probably going to have the job for a while. I am sure he will regret the decision one day.


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    You did not read. I asked when his decision comes back to haunt him. I bet he will not be able to play as wicket keeper for England as Prior is probably going to have the job for a while. I am sure he will regret the decision one day.
    It's a shame for South African cricket in the future if he's got no hope of playing for England and yet he'd be such a shoe-in for South Africa that he'd regret not playing there.

    Anyway, he's got ties over here. He's got a British parent and he went to school here for some time, I don't see why he shouldn't choose to play for England if he wants to.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Anyone confident that Prior is going to be keeping wicket for England for a long time would do well to watch more than just last summer. He was acceptable then, which was a damn relief, but it was a good start and no more. Before then he'd been diabolical and it is far from inconceivable that he will be so again in future.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  7. #7
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,143
    He wasn't diabolical last winter
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,384
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    I just realised the Kiswatter(spelling) may not have an opportunity after all to play for ENG one day. Using him as an example should SA welcome him back when he realises that Prior has many years left as wicketkeeper? He has alreasy epressed no intrest in playing for SA and I feel that may come back to haunt him.
    Jeez, there's a couple of South Africans of British descent/parentage playing for England, get over it.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    He wasn't diabolical last winter
    I can only presume you missed the Fourth Test (was officially the Fifth) in West Indies - well OK that wasn't the winter it was the spring, but it was the UK off-season, which is what is generally referred to in-whole. Prior's performance there was as bad as you're ever going to see from a Test wicketkeeper, and yes he'd been perfectly decent in the first 4 matches of the off-season but that's precisely the problem there's always been with him - he has 2-5 perfectly decent matches then 1 utter, rank shocker. It happened in 2007, it happened in 2007/08 and it happened in 2008/09. And the shocker is generally so bad that the 4-5 OK games can't excuse it. You cannot have a Test wicketkeeper who is so bad with such regularity, even if he's OK when he's not said so bad.
    Last edited by Richard; 18-11-2009 at 12:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    I just realised the Kiswatter(spelling) may not have an opportunity after all to play for ENG one day. Using him as an example should SA welcome him back when he realises that Prior has many years left as wicketkeeper? He has alreasy epressed no intrest in playing for SA and I feel that may come back to haunt him.
    I expect he'll be treated in much the same way as Ryan McLaren. Ie if he's good enough, he'll get into the SA team.

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I can only presume you missed the Fourth Test (was officially the Fifth) in West Indies - well OK that wasn't the winter it was the spring, but it was the UK off-season, which is what is generally referred to in-whole. Prior's performance there was as bad as you're ever going to see from a Test wicketkeeper, and yes he'd been perfectly decent in the first 4 matches of the off-season but that's precisely the problem there's always been with him - he has 2-5 perfectly decent matches then 1 utter, rank shocker. It happened in 2007, it happened in 2007/08 and it happened in 2008/09. And the shocker is generally so bad that the 4-5 OK games can't excuse it. You cannot have a Test wicketkeeper who is so bad with such regularity, even if he's OK when he's not said so bad.
    Yeah he was dreadful in the summer as well. All those dropped catches cost us the Ashes.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Not entirely sure why you needed to post that TBH as I'd already said as much in my previous post.

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not entirely sure why you needed to post that TBH as I'd already said as much in my previous post.
    Because I hadn't read it TBH

  14. #14
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    45,340
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I expect he'll be treated in much the same way as Ryan McLaren. Ie if he's good enough, he'll get into the SA team.
    Quite so. One of three ex-Kolpaks (Langeveldt & Harris the others) who currently paly for SA. The county championship is clearly a finishing school for South Africa.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Because I hadn't read it TBH


    Read threads not posts, young man.

    (And that normally applies in descending rather than ascending order too!)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Official Pro-Wrestling Thread (WWE, TNA, ROH etc.)
    By Jono in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 7861
    Last Post: 14-05-2011, 09:56 AM
  2. Back to Work Blues
    By howardj in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 03:29 AM
  3. back injury, please help
    By pnesam07 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-08-2008, 06:09 AM
  4. Rich im back some talk
    By lord_of_darkness in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-02-2003, 08:25 PM
  5. Guess who back, back again. ERROR back, tell a friend.
    By Paid The Umpire in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-10-2002, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •