• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CSA worried about crowd attendance...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'll admit I'm not an expert and happy to be corrected, but I understood that previously the black population of SA felt little affection for the national cricket team and therefore it could only be said to unite a part of the country. Surely changing that is vital to the game's long term health in SA?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Do you think players like Gibbs, Langers, Parnell, Ntini, Virus, Prince, Duminy and Tsotsobe aren't being picked on merit?

jboss

Banned
I'll admit I'm not an expert and happy to be corrected, but I understood that previously the black population of SA felt little affection for the national cricket team and therefore it could only be said to unite a part of the country. Surely changing that is vital to the game's long term health in SA?
Not as vital as letting things happen naturally. I am sure that the likes of Dumminy/Prince/Amla would of made the team anyway but who knows? As long as there are quotas wan can not say that any player of color has made it on merit. Further it is more weird that we were banned for msny years and the world was robbed of talents like Richards, Cook, Rice, Procter, Pollock etc. for racial policies and now the world turns the other way when there are new racial policies.

The most important thing was that CSA probably felt they needed these steps to ensure colour players in the squad when in fact all that they needed was time for players like Dumminy/Amla/Prince to filter up the system. The system IS working at the moment and every team is full of different races and qualities but the policies are sticking. For what reason? It just stinks being there as it no longer has any purpose.

Would any other country garuntee Ntini a place just for him to get his 100 Test cap? Should we not win the series first (with a team of merit) and then get back to politics? It just makes it feel that CSA are not even taking the series seriously so why should I?

jboss

Banned
Do you think players like Gibbs, Langers, Parnell, Ntini, Virus, Prince, Duminy and Tsotsobe aren't being picked on merit?
Yes they are without a doubt. But a few years ago before AB, Dumminy and Amla we aere struggling with batting and KP left because there was no space for him. Would you say that Ntini deserves his garunteed place for the 1st test based on merit? The England team already have a player advantage for the 1st test.

jboss

Banned
They might tinker with the order in later less competitive series but not this one (unless things become woeful).

I don't see what Amla has done wrong to lose his spot.
A bit of poor form in the SS + Australia + what position will he bat? I am not the selector and although I doubt that the SA order wants a shuffle, but now may be the time that it DOES shuffle given the talent and depth we have in batting.

Prince may open but He did state in the past his preference to be middle order. I took some factors into consideration before coming up with that line up:

1)Smith(obvious)
2)Elgar(selector may be in charge of this one as he is an openner and is young and has form).
3)AB(because he wants to be the future no3 and because there are so many players that can make the squad at this position he may be forced to bat here).
4)Prince
5)Dumminy
6)Kallis(so that he has less responsibility + plays with freedom + more rest time so that he can bowl

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes they are without a doubt. But a few years ago before AB, Dumminy and Amla we aere struggling with batting and KP left because there was no space for him. Would you say that Ntini deserves his garunteed place for the 1st test based on merit? The England team already have a player advantage for the 1st test.
Yes.

There's nothing wrong with how Ntini's performed in the last couple of years.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Yes. If he didn't, Lopsy would have taken his spot in Australia. I think you're oversimplifying the reason why Ntini is still in the team because he hasn't done as badly as you think. I think you're mixing his ODI form with tests and I have a tedancy to do that too. He averages 32 over the last 2 years which is commendable and he's been more consistent than Morne. He was part of the same attack the demolished the Indians for 76 and beat Australia and England away. He also had a great SSS last year where he was under pressure. Lopsy and him bowled out the Eagles for 36 and he took 26 wickets in 5 games.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
KP was not in any way a candidate for a position in the South Africa batting line-up when he left. He may, possibly, if given more opportunities for Natal, have developed into a player good enough to play for South Africa.

But he hadn't done anything batting-wise domestically before he did leave so it wasn't like he was playing well and they were refusing to pick him. He scored 30 runs in 4 innings in List A and 253 runs in 13 innings in First Class. Admittedly he was more of a bowler in those days, but his bowling figures hardly appear amazing either.

Perhaps it was the move to England that really made him.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
A bit of poor form in the SS + Australia + what position will he bat? I am not the selector and although I doubt that the SA order wants a shuffle, but now may be the time that it DOES shuffle given the talent and depth we have in batting.
He averaged 40 against Australia which pretty damn good. He hasn't scored as much in SSS but these aren't reasons to drop him and tinker with a batting lineup that beat the Aussies but an innings.

The reason why SA lost at home to the Aussies was because of Mitchell Johnson, injuries and McKenzie. Amla, AB and Duminy all did well in comparison.

He'll be no. 3 again.

Prince may open but He did state in the past his preference to be middle order.
He also stated he's an opener now for SA and that's where his concentration lies.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not as vital as letting things happen naturally. I am sure that the likes of Dumminy/Prince/Amla would of made the team anyway but who knows? As long as there are quotas wan can not say that any player of color has made it on merit.
Well, we can look at their FC averages in SA's domestic game. And we can look at their performance in the test side over a reasonable period of time compare to the guys they replaced. Of course, there are those whose reaction to any non-white player is to trot out the 'Q word, but they'll do that whatever the stated policy of CSA.

Further it is more weird that we were banned for many years and the world was robbed of talents like Richards, Cook, Rice, Procter, Pollock etc. for racial policies and now the world turns the other way when there are new racial policies.
With all due respect, you're not exactly comparing like with like. Shades of Clive Rice's regretable drivel about 'Apartheid in reverse'. The scale of the offence, even if you think that quotas shouldn't happen, is exponentially different.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1) This article was about the T20 games that were half empty.
2) Because not everyone in SA is upper or middle class some people find a days wage for 3 hrs of cricket expensive. then there is the cost od food and drink at the grounds as well.
3) I spek for myself here and not anyone else... I will not even go watch a free game to support my country when the team is based on a racial selection over one of merit. Why should I support rascism and even worse why should I pay for it? Further more if you wish to make the comparrison between us and England then you should be looking at what english fans get:
A quality team that is half developed by the SA fan's hard earnt money.
A team that is not picked on race.
I paid 30 bucks to go and watch SA v Australia in the first test at the Wanderers.. You don't have to be "upper/middle class" to afford thirty bucks.. After over a decade of supporting SA, I've been frustrated at the quota system at provincial level, but I can safely say that the only players I think have been blatantly chosen because of their skin colour in all that time have been Robbie Peterson, Justin Ontong and Thami Tsolekile.. Not bad when you consider some of the selection shambles that English fans have had to deal with in that time..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I paid 30 bucks to go and watch SA v Australia in the first test at the Wanderers.. You don't have to be "upper/middle class" to afford thirty bucks.. After over a decade of supporting SA, I've been frustrated at the quota system at provincial level, but I can safely say that the only players I think have been blatantly chosen because of their skin colour in all that time have been Robbie Peterson, Justin Ontong and Thami Tsolekile.. Not bad when you consider some of the selection shambles that English fans have had to deal with in that time..
Cruel but fair.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Amla, Prince & Bossman where intially selected because of colour as well. Although now they have earned their places.

kingkallis

International Coach
@Thread Starter,

How much do you pay for a test?

Last time I went to watch 1st ODI between Australia and India, I paid $50. There was nothing else but a stand to sit and watch under a roof.

In South Africa its way tooo cheap yet people complain, I dont get it though!

Also its a shocking statement that 'people dont enjoy watching Cricket anymore just cause Bouch plays and AB is not a team man.'

Also what the hell King Kallis doing @ No.6?