Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: Referrals for good over rates...

Banned

Referrals for good over rates...

I have been thinking (for over a year now) that the ICC can implement the referral system as a reward for good over rates. IOW all teams get a quota of x amount of referrals per game but should they fail to adhere to the set over rate, they lose all their referrals the next game. Any opinions?

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    I can see the merit behind it but penalising a team in one match for their actions in another is not the way to go, and IMO would also tend to encourage the batting side to delay the bowling side if pushed for time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I can see the merit behind it but penalising a team in one match for their actions in another is not the way to go, and IMO would also tend to encourage the batting side to delay the bowling side if pushed for time.
    IMHO such an action WOULD insure that teams keep to their over rates.

An interesting idea. One problem that springs to mind is that there's no natural connection between the two things. In other words, the punishment doesn't particularly seem to fit the crime.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Surely also a problem with teams rushing through the overs with part-time spinners, a la Ponting? Fines are bearable because I'm not sure how much they get paid on a match-by-match basis - probably not much in comparison to their central contracts. But losing all three referrals would be a significant disadvantage.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I've a better idea - just don't use referrals, use something that gets more correct decisions and wastes less time.

And as for time-wasting I was initially in favour of run penalties but having read someone else's words on the matter I can see why they'd not be so adviseable; apart from the fact mentioned in this thread that they would encourage the batting side to try to get the over-rate slowed down, they also distort a match as a contest of batting and bowling skills.

Over-rates must be raised by other means - and these are encouraging practice which debars some of the ludicrous wastes of time we see in the current age.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

My suggestion is a play clock.

20 or 30 seconds between deliveries and a 1 minute or 2 minutes between overs. The third umpire can monitor the clock which can be displayed on an electronic scoreboard and alert the field umpire if there is a violation and add a run.

Referral times would be dependent on the umpire to make a good decision. In the end it would be independent on the fielding team or if the batting team wastes time.
    Last edited by popepouri; 16-11-2009 at 12:05 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I think deducting overs was a pretty good solution, but the team bowling second never really gor peanalised.

Thread Information