• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will McIntosh play and will his ice get rather thin?
I reckon yes and yes. But should be good for at least one score over 50 for the series (yeah... one score over 50 in six innings... really setting our sights high here).

Here's hoping he does better than that :)

Flem274*

123/5
Would be nice if McIntosh did kick on in tests because that guy can get some huge scores. I don't think its likely though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's just frustrating that there aren't any young guns coming through that are openers, with the exception of Worker. The future looks bright for our middle order but it seems we'll be devoid of class openers for a while.

Hell, I'm even tempted to go as far and say bring in Richard Jones for a small while to see how that works. If he can do a decent job of seeing off the new ball, then he'll have done better than most in recent times.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's just frustrating that there aren't any young guns coming through that are openers, with the exception of Worker. The future looks bright for our middle order but it seems we'll be devoid of class openers for a while.

Hell, I'm even tempted to go as far and say bring in Richard Jones for a small while to see how that works. If he can do a decent job of seeing off the new ball, then he'll have done better than most in recent times.
The opening spots are of course a worry, not to mention number 3 as well. Perhaps it's my permanently rose-tinted glasses but I am feeling more optimistic about the situation at present than I have for the last couple of years*.

Firstly I think it's only a matter of time, hopefully this series, before Guptill performs like he has in ODIs. I don't think he's going to suddenly become the answer to all our problems (TM) but might do a similar job to Taylor - averaging 35 to 40 for a few years, looking good at times and frustrating at others. Hopefully pushing on and improving (mindset mainly) after that.

For other 'young guns', you seem to be looking past Watling. He's shown enough to deserve a go some time in the next 12-18 months.

Looking around the domestic matches on today there is Worker, Brodie and Wilson who are all young openers or 3s. Can't say I've seen any of them play, but they seem to have done alright in the domestic matches so far.

In the less-young stakes there's also Jamie How to potentially come back, and Rob Nicol could be a success turning himself into an opener. Probably shouldn't totally write off McIntosh while he's still in the team either.

So there are a few out there... it's just having one or two of them really do well and take chances offerred to them that needs to happen. Here's hoping :thumbsup:

* Apart from when How was doing well and looked to have nailed a spot for himself in the team. That was looking promising and him then going downhill was a big disappointment.

Craig

World Traveller
:naughty:?

Tbh, I think we should just accept that Vettori is the second coming of Jesus. He seems to be doing everything.
Captains, coaches, flies the plane, cooks the meals, makes the beds, packs the kits, drives the bus, prepares the pitch, cuts the grass, bats, bowls, keeps wicket, fields at slip, umpires, selects the team, phew, is there anything he doesn't do?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Captains, coaches, flies the plane, cooks the meals, makes the beds, packs the kits, drives the bus, prepares the pitch, cuts the grass, bats, bowls, keeps wicket, fields at slip, umpires, selects the team, phew, is there anything he doesn't do?
Almost expect Vettori to be writing his second book in his spare time for release at the end of the summer as well. ;)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:naughty:?

Tbh, I think we should just accept that Vettori is the second coming of Jesus. He seems to be doing everything.
Haha, thought that headline sounded oddly ***ual in a vague sort of way. Glad it's not just me.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Brodie and Raval? Both under 23.
Watling, Worker, Brodie and Raval is enough young openers for me :tongue:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Brodie and Raval? Both under 23.
Watling, Worker, Brodie and Raval is enough young openers for me :tongue:
I have never heard any of those, with the exception of Worker, get talked about in the same way as the likes of Anderson and Williamson.

In my recollection, that is.

Craig

World Traveller
Lol, I bet even I could score runs on that pitch. Did they replace the pitch with the landing strip from Auckland International Airport?

Flem274*

123/5
Lol, I bet even I could score runs on that pitch. Did they replace the pitch with the landing strip from Auckland International Airport?
I probably still couldn't..

Though me and Chris Martin could star in edging through the slips for four before getting beaten by the pace of Dwayne Bowden or Brendon Diamanti (well okay, me getting beaten for pace).