• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did you get into cricket?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just checked the scorecard and Hayden got a hundred as well and Langer and Law were playing. Not a bad introduction to cricket although I have been told my first match was Hampshire v Pakistan in which Javed Miandad retired with a headache after scoring a century.

Pothas

Not at all, Aymes was by the best wicketkeeper batsman on show in that match,

He was probably one of the best batsmen in that side actually, has some great names in it though, Paul Whitaker had the most extraodrinary backlift, still no idea how John Stephenson played a test match, took ineptness to new levels while playing for us.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stephenson had once been a very promising opening batsman. He was one of the countless examples of players pitched chaotically into a game they had near enough no hope of succeeding in in the last couple of years of the 1980s (just in case anyone is unaware, in six Tests in 1988 England used 28 players; in the same number the next summer they used 29) and had he not played in 1989 he might well never have played at all. And by the time he'd joined Hampshire he was UIMM getting on a fair bit and had become a middle-order batsman and part-time seam bowler. But at one point high hopes were hung on him; whether they were realistic or not I honestly wouldn't begin to be able to say.

Pothas

He was 30 when he came to us so should have been at his peak, I was pretty young when he came to us but quite a bit was still expected of him when he signed for us, think he left Essex over not being captain or something and was made ours just a year after signing when Mark Nicholas. He was definetyl expected to be an awful lot better for us than he proved to be, he was certainly signed as an opener and not a bits and pieces player. His record with the bat for Hampshire really is pretty awful.