Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you get into cricket?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Watching England vs Pakistan & India on the beeb in 1971. I'd never watched any before then, but I was pretty much hooked thereafter.
    Something that's just occurred to me is you really couldn't have been very old then?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

R_D
    I was born in India.

Probably watching Sachin bat was really what got me into it.

But once i was deprived of watching Sachin bat.... it was watching Mark Waugh and Ponting bat in his early days... what really kept my interest in cricket.
    I think i loved the Aussie team of late 90's.....

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    The 1991/92 season. Watching the NZ v England series over here, and then the World Cup.

Banned
    Me being good at batting as soon as I played a proper match got me in to the game. Didn't know what lbw was until after two years I started playing the game. Was good fun when I went out and had a swing without knowing or caring about the rules. Played for the school from my 5th grade to the 9th grade. Then played in the 11th grade when I changed schools to look cool.

Never taken the game too seriously either. If I had to choose between playing a match for the school and watching a movie with friends, I would always choose the movie. Maybe India missed out on an awesome all rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Something that's just occurred to me is you really couldn't have been very old then?
    I was 11 - a good few years older than my son's got into the game over th last couple of seasons.

I don't really know why I decided to start watching the tests that summer. I knew that we'd won in Aus, but only the end result and seeing pictures of Illingworth being chaired off the pitch. Perhaps I thought we must be really good and decided to watch. It soon became apparent that we weren't

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Watching this aussie side play in the first test after WW2 on aussie soil.My old man said I went to one ten years earlier but I cannot recall it at all

S G Barnes
    A R Morris
    D G Bradman
    A L Hassett
    K R Miller
    C L McCool
    I W Johnson
    D Tallon
    R R Lindwall
    G E Tribe
    E R H Toshack
    That's fantastic.

My intro was through my grandfather's running of the club of which I'm now President. My first real memory of big time cricket though (and it's a vague one) is the 74-75 Ashes series.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Just remember playing cricket at school at lunchtime and in my mate's front yard when I was about 6-7. Test series between NZ and West Indies in 1986/7 was capturing my imagination at that time, and by the time we got shafted by the umpires at Melbourne in 1987/8 I was hooked and already delightfully bitter towards Australians.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    2000/01 test series in Aussie along with the VB series. Watching that Perth test especially, and the first foray into test cricket of a young tearaway by the name of Shane Bond.

Remember watching Skippy take it to the West Indies on debut as well and getting hooked, can't remember if that was before or after the Aussie series though.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I was around 10 when the 1996 world cup got me hooked. All the hype about Tendulkar and the wonderful world cup that he had got me into the game. I remember crying after India lost in the semis.

Just yesterday I watched the last over of the famous hero cup semis against SA. One over 6 to win, 2 wkts in hand and Sachin to bowl. The commentator was going on saying Sachin has vast experience and has to use all his experience here to win the game. He was 20 at that time.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    2000/01 test series in Aussie along with the VB series. Watching that Perth test especially, and the first foray into test cricket of a young tearaway by the name of Shane Bond.

Remember watching Skippy take it to the West Indies on debut as well and getting hooked, can't remember if that was before or after the Aussie series though.
    That series was 2001/02, not 2000/01.

Skippy v Windies was 1999/2000.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    That series was 2001/02, not 2000/01.

Skippy v Windies was 1999/2000.
    Righto.

U19 Cricketer
    My grand-dad
    Last edited by Ilovecric; 16-11-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Cannot pinpoint an exact date, I have been a follower for life. Picture on the wall at my parents place of me at about 6 months of age lying on a bean bag watching Australia play New Zealand on the television.

My first real memory, and series that captivated me was probably the Australian v South Africa double series in 1993 and 1994. Warne starting to make his mark, Donald bowling at high speeds, plenty of high quality cricket.
    I'm very similar, pretty much down to the SA summer, although I remember the games earlier that summer with Willy Watson and Danny Morrison bowling at the Australians.

There was a similar thread Matt started not so very long ago.

As I said at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    From Top Trumps, bizarrely.

As a kid I used to collect the packs of cards from which one reads out a particular stat in the hope that your card is higher than the other players & I managed to procure (or my mum bought, to be more accurate) several cricket-based packs, including, memorably one pack called Mike Brearley's Batting Aces into which he modestly included himself!

It all sprang from there.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Evil Scotsman
    No idea really.

I remember idolising Brian Lara during his hot streak where he set the Test and FC innings records, played cricket between the ages of 8 and 12, can remember watching various random cricket occurances like Cork's hat-trick vs the West Indies in 1995, Alex Tudor's 99* vs New Zealand in 1999, Lance Klusener (my first cricketing idol as a result of actually watching someone play) smashing seemingly every bowler he faced to all parts in WC 99, Warne's mesmerising bowling and THAT run out in the 99 semi final, being absolutely gutted that South Africa didn't make it (always hated Allan Donald for his role in that incident), Gavin Hamilton getting a pair in South Africa in 1999/00, a stunning run out in an ODI vs Zimbabwe on the same tour (direct hit from the square leg boundary iirc), loving the Zimbabwe side of Flower, Flower, Campbell, Streak and Olonga, Butcher's great innings in 2001 vs Australia.

However, I still have no idea why I ever started watching any of that in the first place. I've always loved sports, however there's no really strong cricketing influence anywhere in my family. In terms of what really got me into cricket, it's probably the 1999 semi that I first started loving the game, remember making a very conscious effort to watch the South Africa vs England series that winter during the Christmas holidays (had a paper run, so I'd get in about 8/half 8 in the morning and just watch cricket for a couple of hours.)

Properly started following/supporting England in the 2003 home summer with the Test series vs Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information